Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens in the days after a vaginal birth?

Don't forget that you don't have to consent to anything that you don't want to so if you feel fine and someone's checked recently you can tell them so

DoubleK Guest

oh i forgot about them asking if you have been to the toilet.. one nurse told me i couldnt go home till i had opened my bowels.... i didnt, but ended up telling them i had, as i knew i wouldnt be able to go till i got home!

No checks here, they felt my uterus a few times and just before I went home they asked did I want to be checked but I said no.

I think trackies would be best anyway, much more comfy!!!

LOL tsk tsk Rach!

I wonder what the possible complications bowel-wise could be? It's so scary isn't it? Such a relief though when you are finally brave enough to do it though! (with each baby I kinda realised that it was a mental barrier as much as a physical one, maybe because I wasn't damaged, just scared)

I had a catheter afterwards as my bits were SO swollen that I physically couldnt get any urine out. So, while the catheter was in, I had to record how much urine was in it each time I emptied it and what time I had emptied it. Once the catheter was out (about 48 hours after birth) I still had to pee into a pan and measure and record how much. They also asked me each day if I had done a poo yet. I think twice, they came in and felt my uterus from the outside - once the day after birth and another time just before I went home. They only asked me about my blood loss once. They wanted to know what colour it was. They only looked at my stitches twice - one when I told them I didnt want the catheter anymore and once just before I went home. They didnt say I had to do a poo before going home. They just asked if I had, I said no, and so they gave me a laxative to take as I was leavng the hospital.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I had an episiotomy. My stitches were checked once or twice while in hospital. I also had an epidural and I was able to get up and have a shower straight after I was stitched up but that could be because they'd let the epidural wear almost completely off.

I only stayed a day and they asked if I wanted my stitches checked but I left it a few days and one of the midwives checked at home. I had my uterus and abdominal seperation checked before leaving.

i would think overalls would be a bit awkward with bfing as well??
    FJ I was going to say the same thing too. Esp with a newborn baby when you need most of your boob out.

Sort of OT, but I really second Bath's suggestion of living in your trackies when getting home. It really does enforce a babymoon, and if you wear good ol' flanny pjs like I did , it makes BFing very easy Don't ask me how long I lived in my pjs for although I did occasionally get dressed into a tracky if I knew someone was coming. But if people turned up unannounced they got to see my pjs LOL. That's if we didn't have the "rack off" sign on the door. Do I sound unfriendly?

The only thing that shocked me and I still remember chasing the midwife down the corridor in a panic. Was blood clots, not all women get them but they are quite normal, I never new about them and had a rather large one I hit panic about.

I was lucky with no tearing but my daughter grazed me, I would recommend to take Ural with you to the take the acidity out of your urine, otherwise like me you'll end up in tears. (Some hospitals provide this but not all)

Track pants are a must, anything loose and comfy!

I also went Hypo, after birth (Natural no drugs), but I was bouncing around from excitement I think!

Best of Luck for your upcoming Birth!!!!!!!

I left within 8 hours of having Oliver. My midwife checked the next day at my home visit because I had a small haemotoma they were concerned about. The three stitches were for minor grazing (three locations) and they weren't worried about those. She also felt my tummy for seperation and to check my uterus.

smiles4u Guest

I too like KRYSTAL BALL was often asked if I needed pain relief tablets for a headache, etc... which I luckily never needed

I had a small tear, no stitches BUT lots of grazes which I took URAL satchets (otherwise peeing could burn like hell )... and was never checked

Rach- I did the same thing!!!! I was also told that when I showerd before they took me upstairs for after care that they wanted me to wee whilst in the shower, I didnt wee till that night when I couldnt hold on anymore and damn it burned!!!

With regards to needing to wee after you have bub, my midwife told me to wee in the shower and hold the shower hose there to let the water run over my stitches so that it didn't sting. Worked a treat.

For a hospital or a homebirth we are always given a squirt bottle to fill with warm water to gently spray over the perineum during/after peeing. Helps a great deal for the stinging! My homebirth midwives also gave me a herbal "tea" to bathe in and put in the squirt bottle which really helped heal everything up quickly. I'll have to re-check and see what was in it, but it was wonderful stuff! My "scrapes" healed within a day!
    Anyways, what to expect post-vaginal birth - if you have tears or stitches or haemorrhoids, they SHOULD check you regularly. (at least ask, and tell you what to watch out for.)
    The "rule" about having a pee and BM before being discharged is to make sure that your bladder/urethra weren't too bruised during delivery, which I think can interfere with peeing, and a lot of women are so afraid of breaking their stitches or popping something open, or hurting their already sore haemorrhoids after birth that they hold the BM until they are badly constipated and in trouble. The nurses just like to make sure that you know everything works!

When I was a nursing student, we were told to check breasts, uterus, bladder, bowels, lochia, episiotomy, Homan's sign (for deep vein thrombosis - not too common) and emotional state, during every shift.
    Last edited by Cricket; April 29th, 2008 at 09:48 AM.

re breastfeeding, I would think if the overalls unclasp easily they should be ok. But I second/third/fourth?? the trackies suggestion. Have a couple of pairs of black trackies (in case of blood leakage). Comfy & easy to remove if necessary.

The nurses regularly checked my uterus (on my bare belly) and asked about bloodloss.

One thing I learnt this time is they have a time limit for emptying your bladder after birth! They 'threatened' a catheter if I hadn't peed (can't remember how long they gave me tho). They did ask about opening bowels, but didn't seem too concerned. (I pooed in labour LOL so I didn't have anything left for a day or so! LMAO) Oh yeah - and they always asked if I had pains in my legs re DVT.

I was asked if I wanted pain relief for afterbirth pains, but I was fine.

Gosh - it's so close Sarah!!

Oh - the other reason for the concern about bladder emptying - a very full bladder will displace the uterus and make it more difficult for it to contract and clamp down on the placenta "wound". You are at risk for more bleeding with a very full bladder.

I peed before I even had a shower - It didn't even occour to me it might hurt at the time. It stung a little but wasn't too bad. I leant forward instintually but the midwife said she would have suggested it anyway, to direct the stream away. All I remember is the wet wipes being blissfully cool.

I didn't have a BM until 3 days later but I'm notoriusly irregular so I wasn't concerned, I knew it would happen eventually. Even though I had a massive 'roid it wasn't as bad as I expected. The midwife was threatening me with her fibre stuff if I hadn't gone when I did.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12