Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what was the most painful part?

Default what was the most painful part?

I was just wondering what everyone found the hardest during labour. i have a couple of friends who differ on their opinions.

was it the actual contractions or the crowning that hurt most?

Just curious, this will be my first and i am trying to mentally prepare myself for all that is ahead!!

Linda

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

According to a book I am reading at the moment on Labour Pain by Penny Simkin, the harder labours pain wise are posterior labours (baby in a posterior position) and induced labours.

For my first I was augmented on the drip and I wouldn't wish the pain on my worst enemy! I opted for an epidural and therefore couldn't feel the crowning.

With my second, I had a natural labour and I handled the contractions okay, but the crowning was worse for me. It was the first time I felt what crowning was like, but I think it could have been less painful than it was. I feel that the more intense pain probably had to do with the fact that I was flat on my back trying to push - I only had a 5lb 15oz baby and I feel that if I were upright birthing him, then I would have had less pain, even if a little. I'm not saying I would have avoided it as it's not possible, but I was extremely uncomfortable lying flat on my back trying to push, with nothing to hold onto.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I actually can't really remember the pain of crowning... that part's all a bit of a blur LOL. The contractions from about an hour or so after they ruptured the membranes was definitely the hardest part of labour for me (I was induced).

I thought that the contractions were more painful than pushing the baby out. Once I started pushing with them they didn't hurt quite as much.

There was pain when the head came out of course but once the baby was out it was over, not like the contractions which went on a bit.

For me definately the crowning and birthing the head. I swear it felt like a bowling ball. I've had a posterior labour and birth, drug free and yes it's true you do have a back labour I can honestly say I didn't think it any worse then my other deliveries. Also it was still quite fast (under 2 hours).

Come to think of it contractions hurt abit too with Tehya. Maybe it's because after having 2 very quick labours 10 hours killed me.

Take care
    Trish

Yep, the contractions for me too.

My first was posterior and her birth was long and painful.

My second was almost enjoyable by comparison!!

Still awaiting #3 so we will see how I go then!

The crowning was not as painful as I expected - hang on, pretty painful with #1 but not too bad with #2. I guess that is what you get when your first child is 8lb and your second 6lb 7oz!!

BEst wishes

I would have to say the contractions were worst as well, as I was induced, and within an hour of being put on the syntocin drip I had gone from literally nothing, to hideously painful contractions.
    But then I cant really compare, as I wasnt able to feel the crowning as I had asked for an epidural a few hours prior to pushing.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ambah
    ...within an hour of being put on the syntocin drip I had gone from literally nothing, to hideously painful contractions.
    That's one of the main reasons they say an induced / augmented labour is more painful - instead of having peaks with contractions, you are having continous contractions without time to recover. I found they came on so strong and top of each other, with no break in between at all *shudder*...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Default reply

UM ALL OF IT!!!!!!! LOL

But so worth it in the end, look how clever we are-try to go natural sweetie, it's such a rush.

I had a natural birth with Olivia, no drugs, & the worst bit for me was the contractions when I was about 9cm dilated.....I was labouring in the hospital room, and a midwife kept trying to get me to lie down on the bed, but lying down was so uncomfortable and the pressure whilst being horizontal in conjunction with very close together contractions & the backache were bad.

I remember the crowning stinging, but it was a short sharp pain with an end, so not as bad as the continual contractions, IYKWIM?

Yep Syntocin for me too & in between NO TIME for a new breathe, just straight into next pianful contraction....

I cannpt believe how hard & fast they come on!!!!

Karlee Guest

For me both times the contractions were a lot worse than pushing. Crowning for me was a relief from the contractions.

layla Guest

I had both my kids vaginally with no pain relief at all.
    I was induced the first time, and the contractions were definately more intense.
    I have to say though, that I don't remember finding the contractions or the crowning sensation to be really painful either time. I had a problem coping with the third stage though. My uterus was contracting really hard to expel the placenta and the doc was pushing on me also.
    I think because by then my focus was off the task of giving birth I started to notice that it actually hurt and all I wanted to do was get on with holding /feeding my baby. :mad:

It was definitly the contractions - after I was dilated I had an epidural (well I was getting the epidural as I finished dilating if that makes sense??) Short, sharp labour - induced but not with a drip (until after I was dilated.....) Posterior and back labour. So didnt feel the crowning painwise.

Excrutiating!! but guess what - can't remember any of the pain now!!

My recent memory is the pain of breastfeeding on a severly cracked nipple. Truly one of the most unplesant things - specially caus you know in 2-4 hours you have to go through it again. YOUCH!!!!

Fi

Definitely contractions for me and I was induced also. I had them back and front and the pains in the front were worse for me.

I didn't feel the crowning, I had a forceps delivery in therate with a spinal block.

I agree the contactions were the worst for me too, rather than the pushing.

thanks so much everyone for your responses!!

I will have to let you know what my opinion is when the time comes!!

Linda

Crowning for sure, especially because there is no break and it's just a constant pain for however long it takes (good 30 minutes for me)_OWWW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast