Thread: What sort of pain?

Default What sort of pain?

OK, there's been a stuff-up with my antenatal classes and I'm not having my first one until quite late so I'm keen to know as much as possible beforehand.

My question isn't covered in the books I have so here goes.

Can you tell me what sort of pain the contractions are? I had a miscarriage about 18 months ago and the pain seemed to be quite vaginal-specific rather than around the pelvis. I must admit, at the time I did think "gee, if an 8-week miscarriage hurts this bad how am I going to cope with an actual labour." Am trying to convince myself that although the pain will be worse, it will be a 'different' kind of pain. But don't know if I"m just kidding myself?

Are labour pains similar or is the pain more general ie. around the back, pelvis etc. rather than feeling like the pain is concentrated in the vagina?

Also, if anyone can recommend a no-nonsense dvd that would be great. By 'no-nonsense", I mean something that isn't try to push a particular natural birth bandwagon but something that will describe each stage, tell me best way of pushing etc.

Thank you!

I felt my contractions in my back, belly and thighs!
    For me, it started as a pain in my lower tummy, then moved to my lower back and then my entire tummy went really hard and my tummy and groin/thighs area hurt. They started off really mild and then once my water broke they came on faster, longer and stronger. A couple hours before my daughter was born, the contractions were so strong that I felt physically sick... not so much from the pain, but more from the tightening around my belly.

I'm sorry, i dont know of a good book or DVD though.

It's funny how quickly the memory of the pain fades, two weeks ago I could remember exactly and now it's more of a vague memory. My contractions wrapped around my belly like a muscle cramp/period pain. Like a tightening that hurt. I always found my contractions made me feel like doing something - rocking/walking etc and then when you get to second stage they change and you just want to push.

I found the dummies guide to pregnancy a great general book that presents all sides equally and discusses newborns as well. i would offer it to you but the cover and the first few pages have been ripped out (lent it to family with very small children)

Good luck and all the best for your birth

paradise lost Guest

Mine felt like a chinese burn where my cervix is (which i know from pap smears which i sometimes find uncomfy). I also got a continuous ache in my back for a few hours from DD's head being posterior and her crown digging into my sacrum - this also made me want to push early, a hot bath helped.

I never felt pain in my fundus, back, thighs or belly from cx, ONLY at my cervix. My active labour was under 4 hours.

Hana

I felt pain in my belly and upper thighs. A lot like really bad period pain, but you could tell it was "working". With my first, it was somewhat overwhelming, especially at transition (threw up, couldn't breathe) but with my second, I felt more prepared and in control. Learn as much as you can, and find out what helps you manage pain in a normal situation (ie. massage, warm water, dark room, quiet, etc.) Those things will probably also be good in labour. I'd recommend a doula, especially if this is your first. As far as the best way of pushing, best positions, I think you kind of have to go with the flow of your labour, and do what works at the time. It wil depend on how you are feeling, and what position your baby is in.
    Your mind is a very powerful tool in labour. Learn what you can about labour, and learn how you like to relax, and go in knowing that YOU CAN DO IT! All the best for a great birth.

I felt like I had severe tummy cramps - not to begin with, but that's what it escalated to. Like the next trip to the loo would see a major explosion like you do when you have gastro! I breathed the whole way through it, and with DP's help, walked up and down our quiet street during the last few hours. It helped immensely to know exactly what my uterus was doing during this time and to be able to picture the motion of the uterus. Knowing that the 'pain' was the result of a very useful function took away a lot of the 'pain' and made it into a 'very strong sensation' that I had to work through.

Hi!
    I haven't been there yet but in a few weeks I might be able to give you my own evaluation.
    My mum had 2 children both natural births, one just under 4kg (me) the other just over 4kg (my brother). She likens labour to being really really constipated and then having to pass it. She says it is definitely painful, but not the worst pain she has ever had. She says mastitis was ten times worse than labour pain.

I do believe that your mindset plays a big role. When you are in labour and you can remind yourself that this pain has a reason and is your body doing its job to give you the most wonderful little treasure, then maybe you won't suffer from it as much. On the other hand, when you have a miscarriage, there's nothing positive about it and the emotional anguish will add to the physical pain.

But hey, so far it is only theory for me. I can't wait to experience it for myself.

Thank you everyone - your responses are much appreciated and quite reassuring. I've always thought I had quite a high pain threshold so the miscarriage threw me a bit. But I was on my own, it lasted most of the day and all in all, it's a bit scary not knowing whether you're bleeding normally or haemorrhaging etc. etc. etc.

I may have given the wrong impression re natural birth in my first post - I definitely want to give drug-free a go but I'm just not into the whole "I'm a failure" thing if I can't. Afterall, it's only one day and my son/daughter won't judge me by whether or not I had an epidural - it's the next 18 years that really matter! But I am keen to be as mentally prepared as possible.

Thanks again everyone.

You poor thing. Your miscarriage experience sounds terrible. It must have been horrible being alone in such an emotional state and of course you would worry and drive yourself insane about what is happening to you.
    I had a m/c when I was 20 and I was quite relieved about it to be honest. I felt like my body knew that I was not ready mentally to have a child (and not in love with the father). And that way I didn't have to make an awful decision. Nevertheless, it was painful and scary and still hard to take emotionally. I can only imagine how much harder it would be if you actually wanted to have a child.

If you want to go drug-free, good on you. But I'm sure nobody here will hold it against you if you end up getting some form of pain relief. It is your body, your baby and your decision and I don't think a woman should feel like a failure for anything that happens in the delivery room. But you might just surprise yourself and go through it without any drugs!

paradise lost Guest

I lost a baby at 5-6wks once, just pregnant enough to have +ve HPT then -ve ones when bubby didn't stick. A chemical pregnancy you might say. My labour pain was more intense than that, but i really think the miscarriage was more painful. It's as someone above said - when you're birthing your baby (unless it's induced) your body is doing a natural thing. Yes, it's a challenge but it's so exciting and you know your baby is coming. With a miscarriage it's just awful.

H

I haven't been through labour yet but I would agree that a miscarriage is awful, not only do you have the physical pain but you have the emotional pain as well. You will be in a better mindset for labour rather than a micarriage because the treasure at the end makes it all worth while. I have heard the Pink Kit is very useful in teaching you about your pelvis and guides you through how it all works when you are in labour, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet and I won't before my time is up but I wish I did as it is very highly recommended. Best of luck!

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...y/the-pink-kit <---- This is the info on the Pink Kit

Cynthaz Guest

I wasn't even sure I was having contractions to begin with, because they honestly didn't hurt at all. (Although it sure hurt later LOL).

I just wanted to respond to your request for a book about the "best way of pushing". You really don't need to know HOW to push, it's not something you have to consciously direct. Your body will push all on its own, and it knows exactly how to do it. It just happens when you're ready.

Ok having experienced contractions earlier this afternoon, they hurt like hell, Sorry, have to be honest. Mine have stopped for the moment. Mine radiated from my lower back and came up over my hips and down into my lower abdoman like really bad period pain and then faded. I am getting the syntocin drip tomorrow am to get things going again so I thought I better tell you what the less hurty ones feel like

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I was going to suggest the pink kit - complete with a section on how to override the 'I cant do it' voice in your head.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Will check out pink kit - thanks to all who have suggested it.

SarahBananaBanana - hope the rest of the labour was OK - let us know how you went!

I think I got a nightmare deal, I will write my story and post it soon I hope. I think I will check out the pink kit myself too...

paradise lost Guest

SarahBarah, Noah is Beeyooootiful! Awwwwwwww....

Well done!