Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to wear...

*Yvette* Guest

Do they have gowns for you in the hospital, lol? Nobody offered me one! I always end up naked. I get hot and don't like anything 'constricting' me, and I'm so involved in the labour I have no need for modesty, but there's only been close family/midwives there anyway.

If I have to go to a labour ward rather than straight home this time, I'll want something to put on, maybe some nice PJs or something.

Wish I could be as glamorous as Lulu, rofl. Stapless, pink & stretchy sounds very practical. Cardigan for night feeds is a must though!

I hope they give me a hospital gown during labour! On the list the hospital gave me it says to take loose clothes for labour but I'd rather just wear one of their gowns if they'll give me one LOL.

LOL on the Yeti Shannon!

I have packed a tight lycra singlet, cause I hate my bb's hanging too unrestricted. For the bottom I have packed my favourite sarong.
    I also have my PJ's, and I'm not adverse to a hospital gown.

Fi

Custardtart Guest

For my first baby I bought myself some new nighties, thinking they were colourful and cute enough to see people in if I needed to. The mistake I made is that they were totally impractical for bf, as they dind't unbutton far enough at the top. This time around I'm looking for a nightie that had buttons all the way down the front, I'll even sew one myself if I have to, as I found any band around the waist to be uncomfortable for a few days after the birth which ruled out PJ's.

Ditto on the comfy undies - I'm going to go out and get some comfortable cotton ones - not the cheap ones, my skin gets very sensitive during pregnancy and the stitching itches.

Kerrie

During labour I was in a hospital gown with no underwear 8-[ But that was after I had my first shower, before that I was just in a skirt & maternity top.

I found I felt more normal if I showered & dressed in the morning as well. I wore t-shirts & my maternity pants. I also made Aaron run out & buy me some big granny undies cos mine were resting on my wound site (I ended up with a c/s).

Quote Originally Posted by mum5boyz
    I have worn the same nightie for each of my births and it's packed on top in my labour bag for this time as well.
    DH wore the same top to both our boys births and I was saying the other day that I should pit it away so it's not too worn out for the next one!

The maternity wards are quite stuffy so something light like cotton jammies that you can unbutton for easy BB access. I ended up asking DH to bring in some clothes for me as I got bored with pjs and wanted to wear trackies and normal clothes.

I too wore clothes during the day, but yes larger than the pre pg, soft cotton stretchy leggings are my favourites! With the twins I was up, showered, makeup, etc BUT they were in the SCN and I didn't have babies to look after so I had to do something with myself!!!
    With DD#3 I was showered and dressed, but just a headband in the hair and little or no makeup!, will see if with #4 I can even be bothered getting dressed!!! Granny knickers are a MUST worst luck, but g-strings just don't do anything much with a huge maternity pad !!!!
    In labour I wore abig soft tshirt nightie, easy to get out of the way, but if up and walking, covered all the bits!!!

*Megan* Guest

This is a fantastic thread - I know that I am having a c/s and was wondering what to wear...we have been encouraged by the midwives to get dressed every day as we are not sick - have just had a baby! My undies are all G String or Bikini style so I might have to invest in some others, but they are all so gross....

Megan

Just thought that I would add that I did end up being totally naked for Tehyas birth, in the end I just couldn't handle wearing anything. For the beginning though I did have on a pair of shortie pj's, I actually walked around the block in them #-o scary seeinbg as how the top never met the bottom and this huge belly was poking out, I don't know how many cars went past us either 8-[

After my waters were broken I walked around the house with the singlet top to my pjs on and a towel between my legs - very becoming - NOT.

And I was right, in just about all of the birth and labour pics here is this big nipple in them.

Take care
    Trish

i wear my birthday suit - hey i don't want my bubbas first impression of the world to be omg i'm so embarrassed no one told me you had to wear clothes! i want him to feel at home.

actually i don't set out to be naked i just strip off and end up being naked (without any embarrassment at all - surprisingly enough)

beckles

*Yvette* Guest

Lol @ Beckles. I relate to the absence of embarrassment, I can’t have any clothes on me when I’m birthing either, but I hadn’t thought of it from baby’s point of view. It does seem right doesn’t it, to welcome bub naked so s/he’ll feel you’re like him/her. And to have the skin to skin contact it’s easier. When Ruth was born I think I had a loose dress/top thing on, and had to hurriedly take it off when I turned around to hold her.

I have a tendency to not want any clothes on afterwards either, then I regret it when I see the photos. Still looking for something nice for photos that's comfy that I can breastfeed in.

Nudies in the shower/bath at home, had a singlet and sarong on for the hospital labouring, hospital gown on for delivery as I was in theatre.

The sarong was a GODSEND!!!! as was the firmish fitting singlet top. Meant modesty was maintained (on all fours on a beanbag.....) but was easy to whip off and do internals as required.

GO THE SARONG!!!!

Fi

*Megan* Guest

That is a good idea Fi - thanks...

Megan

*Yvette* Guest

Oooh, I do have a nice red floral sarong, better dig it out & give it a go.

I'm liking that Sarong idea!
    Also do you think the singlet top would be fairly easy to take off for immediate skin to skin contact and breast feeding after birth?

I'm so confused over what to wear, I was thinking a big pajama top with buttons that could be easily undone but there is just nothing long enough to maintain that modesty! And i'm not one to flash it 8-[

thanks so much for all the great ideas!

You could always try the sarong without a singlet? If it was tied above the breasts, it would be long enough for modesty, easy to get off and cool for the heat of labour.. But i dont know coz i havent done it.. lol

K

Default reply

Sweetie, with most hospitals they'll give you a gown, but otherwise ,just wear something lose and comfy, pack comfy things that arn't too tight, track suits etc. For the first few days depending on how all things go, you'll probablly be in bed and in jarmies, well I was with my 2 anyway. What ever u decide I say go COMFORT. Good luck angel.xx

And sweetie here on BB I found out nothing is a stupid question! They are all too nice for that. O

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12