Thread: What your partner did for you...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default What your partner did for you...

Hey guys,

I am writing yet another article for the site and I want to know what your partner did for you when you were in labour which you found to be comforting and or helpful. It might be in the form of words, touch or anything else you can think of!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

He stood there and let my squeeze the absoulte crap out of his hand when I was going through contractions...... does that count ?? 8-[

Love

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It's all good Kathryn!!! Anything at all that helped
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

LOL Ditto Astro!!!!

He was chatting away to the midwife about all sorts of nonsense as well, I wasn't too aware of what they were on about, but the sound of his voice was comfort enough!

I couldn't have done it without him. He got me drinks (then held the sick bag for me when I vomitted them back up), gave me massages, dragged me in and out of the shower, encouraged me all the time, made sure that I was always kept informed (even after the drugs kicked in) and charmed all the midwives.
    During the time that I was in the ante-natal ward he arrived in the morning before I woke up so I opened my eyes and there he was. He bought me food so I didn't have to eat hospital meals and looked after my cat even though he hates him.
    :smt055

HMM, does nothing count. My DP hid in the bedroom through most of my labour with Tehya only coming out near the end. He was too scared and panicky to do anything of use. Thankfully my mum was there and she held my hands while I squeezed them and got me frozen face clothes and put them on my neck for me.

Take care
    Trish

My DP just sat by my bed and didnt say a word, which is all i wanted. A nice quiet room with just some relaxation music playing. While in the shower he kept encouraging me and telling me im doing great etc.

He was lucky, i didnt hold onto his hand, the gas tube got all that LOL!

This is no joke, but Andrew stopped for cigarettes on the way to the hospital. I couldn't believe it!!!

But once we were there, he was great........just really encouraging. Didn't talk to me much (I didn't want to talk.......I just wanted to labour without a running commentary!).

He held the bowl as I vomitted and organised big towels for me so that I could go in & out of the shower.

When I was rushed to the delivery suite he was fantastic: helped the midwife & the OB, organised music and lavender oil, let me break his hand with the squeezing. He was pretty in tune with what I wanted/needed, and he was a star........couldn't have done it without him.

My DH was so wonderful and supportive, he stayed by my side the whole time. Including the first few days at home while I was labouring. Then in hospital, he let me squeeze the crap out of his hand, he gave me drinks, he organised the room with essential oils and calm music playing. He helped me voice my opinions to the midwife, like when I wanted an epidural and when I wanted to see the ob NOW!

He didn't disagree with anything and let me decide what pain relief I wanted and when.

He told me that he loved me and thanks for going through all this for us to met our son... he was the best and I could not have asked for more from him.

He was also amazing after Matthew was born and I was recovering. Matthew didn't sleep that first night and he stayed up with him all night so I could rest. He changed his nappy without me asking, I didn't have to change a nappy for 3 days!

I couldn't have done it without him in those first couple of days, he helped me have a shower and dried me, he helped me go to the toilet, helped me get dressed, he did all this without questions or fuss.

He really was amazing. (and still is )

I think DP felt a little useless and out of sorts... and he was also sooo bored for a lot of the time we were in the birthing suite, cause it took them over 5 hours to get the syntocin drip in my hands, and so much of that was just waiting and waiting for various drs/nurses to come back etc, etc.

He was really sweet though, cause at about the 8th drip attempt (I think), I started getting really panicky and upset, and he would come and hold my other hand and distract me from watching how they were butchering my hands up.

He was also really great during the pushing stage, he followed the midwife's lead and gave heaps of encouragement and praise, and probably contributed to it being such a short amout of pushing, cause he really made me believe the end was near so I would give it my all...

During Labour Marc was a star, he ran a bath for me at the hospital tried to do whatever he could to help and also tried to calm me down when things started to get out of our control. I never really had much pain so there was no hand crushing or anything like that LOL I just swayed through my contrax and that was it booooooooring LOL!

I think there must be something to be said for Dad's post c/s' as like Nell's DH Marc was the same. He gave Paris her first bath, along with changing her first nappy and so forth. At home he would wake with me with every feed and when she had to be bottle fed later on he would take it in turns with me to feed her and he ended up doing the last feed as he felt it was a great time to spend bonding with her. So at 5 am when she would wake for a feed he would feed her and then sleep with her in the chair till he needed to get ready for work when he'd put her to bed. Do you know what he was soooooo sad when she stopped waking for that last feed LOL! And now everything is still 50/50. I read somewhere (I think it was Kaz Cooke's Toddler book) that a womens best piece of advice would be to let them do the first bath as for some reason it gets them going and they love it

*hugs*
    Cailin

I just realised my post didn't make sense LOL! I know that matthew was not c/s but that sentence kind of jumbled into one LOL!

Just to clarify!

*hugs*
    Cailin

all my ex did for me was annoy the .... outta me!! lol
    he did let me squeeze his hand but he just frustrated me coz he wouldnt shut up and all i wanted was for him to get out hehe

take care
    Lesley

ok my DH was amazing. From the beginning when we were sent home because Matilda had disengaged to the end. DH helped the midwives in setting things up, held my hand, jumped into the shower with me and held me up as I couldn't stand up with the pain, he rubbed my back and did everything, basically carried me back to bed after drying me off and pulled the gas over, all I had to do was look at him and he knew what I needed next, he asked the midwives to do an internal to find out how far I was and then requested the epidural... after 20 hours he was the one to finally convince me to go the c/s after I had turned it down 3 times. He was my voice throughout everything as I was in pain and shock and couldn't understand sometimes what was being asked of me, when my bp dropped drastically he was the one to do everything...he even grabbed the midwives when the monitor had problems, he changed the paper in the machines LOL...

When Matilda was born he was with her from the first second, he didn't leave her and held her until she was placed with me. He did every bath for the first few weeks, he changed every nappy, changed her clothes did everything for the first week. I was lucky she was bf or else I wouldn't have been able to hold her!!

During the early labour he did everything I asked him to do and held my hand while I was in the bath.
    My dear DH sat behind me so I could lean on him. After Mason was out he got up and he could barely move. He didn't want to disturb me as he though I was comfy leaning on him and his back was in spasms! Poor thing. Then as I had missed dinner and started feeling hungry about 8pm he went and got me Maccas.

With Angus he was good too but as he had been there before he was a little bit less attentive, but he still held my hand all the time.