Thread: Will my second birth be faster?

Default Will my second birth be faster?

I know there's actually no way to say for sure! But just want to know if it's likely to be? I know second births are usually faster but is that only for a vaginal birth? Last time I was in labour for around 35hrs and then ended up having an emergency c/s. So bc I had a c/s does that mean it's like my body hasn't given birth and it won't be faster??

Having such a long labour and then a c/s on top of that was just terrible. I was exhausted for weeks and so sore and couldn't do anything for DD I want a VBAC this time but am scared of it going on for that long again and then ending up with a c/s anyway. I have to try anyway. But I feel like if things are taking ages again maybe I should stop and just have a c/s because it might be easier to recover after. Probably not though. Ugh, I wish I had a crystal ball and could see what would happen!

fngers crossed it is quicker

As you kow Ds2 was Much faster than DS1 ! Good luck hun xxx

They're all different but I think second etc tend to be faster.

Lucy was 2hrs from 1st contraction to her on my chest feeding!

Your baby may not have ended up coming out of your vagina, but your uterus has still had lots of practice contracting and your cervix has had practice at opening, so you're ahead there.
    I think the best way to prepare yourself is to make sure your caregivers, support people and birth space are all as encouraging, relaxing and supportive as possible. I've been reading Ina May and I think we tend to overlook the mind-body connection in labour and just how important it is to feel safe and secure and well supported during labour to facilitate the physcial process.

I think there is a good chance your labour will be quicker

My first labour was 37 hours and my second was 16 1/2 hours.

My third was 4 1/2 hours and I wonder if this was because I saw a chiro throughout my entire pregnancy with DD? I have pelvis probs and the chiro kept my pelvis in great shape. It was in optimal condition for labour so I wonder if this helped.

My first was 41 hours, my second was 8 hours and my third was 45 mins (though I had an emergency c/s but I made it to 9cm in that time) so it will most likely be faster. I am wondering if mine will be faster this time too ...

My first labour was 23 hours and my second was 5-6 hours.

Its no guarantee. My first was 5 hours, second was 37 hours, 3rd was 2 hours and 4th was just under 5 hours.

hun i had a c/s with twins- went into labour for 22 hours but it was stopped but never dilated
    had the c/s 5 days later
    with boof i had an awesome VBAC- first cx at 9.00am and had boof at 2.54pm!! it was ace!!!
    recovery was heaps easier and quicker
    good luck hun and you will know what is right for you when the time is right
    xxx

my experience was that the second went faster. DD1s birth was 9.5 hours and DD2s birth was 2.15 hours.

BUT i reckon DD1s birth was slowed due to being given pethidine and having to lie on my back for pushing and basically not feeling very safe or supported in my environment. The second birth was carefully planned to have a selected team of 'support' where i handpicked my midwives etc and ensured to put into place everything that i felt i needed to feel safe and supported. so i believe that the labour was able to flow naturally and with ease and in its own time...

HTH big hugs have everything crossed that you get your dream birth experience!

My first was 30 hours, and I blame pethidine too. I just stopped dilating, ended up needing and epi.
    My second I wasa little over 2 hours total, was only in the hospital for 90 mins before he popped out.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine

Wow I was fully dilated in 4 hours! I hope you get your vbac. Every labor is different as is every pg. Just want to wish you the best.

My first labour was 11 hours, my second 16.5 hours.. so not the case for me. I was still only 6cm dilated at the 11 hour mark for #2.