Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Caesarean Sections Continue To Rise

Ooooh, I'm gonna Google that too, cos my first 2 were posterior!!! :shock:

I actually feel so very sorry for the mothers that don't get to birth vaginally for various reasons!!! It is the most satisfying, heart tugging, overwhelming experience you will ever have!! I can't understand why people would opt out of this when they actually CAN do it!!

I understand those that can't and that must be devastating to most, so why leave the option open to the ones that don't need it?! JMO

It is hard to admit, but I do wonder if my caesar came about from own mental issues with the birth. As much as I really wanted a drug free vaginal birth, I found it difficult once I got there. All the labour pain was in my lower back and I did not get an urge to push, only to clench. My mind was not really helping. I kept on thinking, "I can't cope with the pain now, how am I going to cope with the head coming out". I was also thinking "Oh $h!t, what are we doing having a baby?".

I still don't know whether to go for a VBAC or not next time round. I really need to understand a bit more about the first birth first. All I know is next time I am getting my own birth attendant.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Astrid, it's very common to feel that way... and all that tension and clenching results in more pain! Resisting the 'intensities' as they now like to call it, makes it harder for you to let go and surrender to birth.

In the last birth I attended the other day, I was extra mindful of tension considering she's been doing hypnobirthing - it's amazing how often we do tense up and just by touching her sholders and telling her to release the tension, it works wonders. She was doing it on almost every contraction!

It's hard to have confidence in your own body with birth medicalised to what it is today. It's important to remind yourself that birth is a natural event, not a medical event, unless intervention is required, in a low percent of cases. I could go on forever, but all the stats are on the birth support page in my signature link.

If you feel you need some birth debriefing or birth counselling, (it's a great idea for every mother after every birth IMO...) my teacher does a brilliant job at it, her name is Rhea Dempsey and her website is birthingwisdom. She can help you understand the things you carry as a result of the birth. Wonderful, wonderful woman.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Debbie Lee Guest

Weird, but I guess lI did feel like I had been ripped off and yet I was so ready for a c/s as I knew Mum and my sister and my aunties had all had to have them!I guess the mind can be a horrible thing!
    Ikwym, Kirsty.
    I went into the whole thing determined to just take it as it comes.
    I was sooooo afraid of having a still-born baby that I let the doctors intervene more than I should have (there's a 3 generation history of unexplained still-births in my family - including my older brother born at 42 weeks). When induction was suggested, I was all for it because I thought I would meet my baby sooner (yeah right.... 5 days later when I could have gone into labour on my own!). Even when it was announced that I would need a caesar because "something" was compressing on the cord, I was pretty blase'. "Oh well, so long as the baby comes out alive, I really don't care".
    Looking back, I really wish I had a little bit more faith in the natural process of labour.
    Once my waters were broken and I experienced proper contractions, it was kind of "fun" (for want of a better word) to be doing "it"! I was finally labouring! I am sooooo glad I at least got to experience that at least!

Actually, Kelly.... I have a question for you. The reason for all my intervention was because of high BP. There were no other symptoms of pre-eclampsia and I was still quite comfortable. Do you think that doctors overreact a little when BP readings are a little high? I guess because I was overweight, it sent alarm bells ringing for them (though they never mentioned it). I hope to be a lot lighter for my next child.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

oooo I can't really comment on that one Deb It's hard to be an advocate without crossing lines - need more medical know how and background info for that one. Sometimes we just have to let them do their job, but that doesn't mean don't ask questions - always ask more if you're not sure, ask for a second opinion - heard plenty of cases where a registrar in a public hospital wanted to go to caesar, so couple asked to speak to the consultant (you have a right to ask for them) and the consultant said it needn't go to caesar yet.

So you can always ask and not be afraid that they will think you are stupid or annoying. After all, it is your body, your baby and your birth. You have rights.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Debbie Lee Guest

After all, it is your body, your baby and your birth. You have rights.
    I will have to keep that sentence in my head for next time. I was so hell bent on not being a "difficult" patient. I just didn't want to be a burden.
    God help 'em next time!! LOL

Kirsty77 Guest

IKWYM Deb.I was exactly the same.But yep next time I'm standing my ground!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12