Thread: Amelie Jeans Birth Story (pretty long)

Default Amelie Jeans Birth Story (pretty long)

Well to start my pregnancy was pretty trouble free just lots of all day sickness and back pain but at 30wks I was told I had gestational diabetes. So I had to change my diet and monitor by blood sugars 4 times a day I am a chocoholic so this was a challenge.
    At 36wks my Ob did and ultrasound and said our baby had not grown at all in the 2 weeks since I last saw him so I was sent for a growth scan and twice weekly monitoring. The growth scan showed that she was average size aprox 2.9kg but that my fluid levels were low. At this point my Ob decided to have me induced on the 15th of May 2 weeks early. My fluid levels increased and all was going great until our little girl decreased her movements and failed her CTG two days in a row she was still fine but just not moving much. I saw my Ob and he decided it was best to get things going that day 13th May.
    I came back to the hospital at 5pm to be induced. I was given the gel (prostin) and told that I would have another dose at 12 and then my Ob would break my waters in the morning and possibly give me drugs to start labour. They did say it is possible to go into labour naturally after the gel but very slim especially being my first.
    I was put on the monitor to be watched for half an hour to make sure the baby was ok and coping with the gel. At this point I started having regular tightenings they called them at this point which they said is a great sign they were not uncomfortable or painful.
    Near the end of the half hour Amelie's heart rate suddenly dropped to 80 and it was the undetectable the nurse pushed the button for help as she moved me and tried to find the heart beat. Tears started to flow as they gave me oxygen and people piled in the room to help. All I could think was the worst.
    Thank god she recovered and her heart rate stayed strong for now. They could not explain what happened but were confident everything would be fine now.
    Hubby and I lounged around and watched telly and had dinner just waiting for it all to happen. Dh went off to sleep but I was having increasing pain in my back and belly and could not sleep so I read a book instead. At 12 they came to put me back on the monitor to see if I needed the next lot of gel it was obvious I did not.
    I woke Dh at 12:30 and told him I couldnt do it by myself anymore I needed him as my back pain was increasing. He massaged my back and applied heat packs and I had a bath but I was not having any time inbetween to rest. The midwife examined me and I nothing was happennig how dissapointing when the pain was getting worse.
    I was advised it was to early for gas so I resorted to pethadine when the pain changed dramatically to agony this did not help at all for me. At 3am they called the anethatist to come give me an epidural as I could not cope with the pain and I was told I had hours to go as this was only early labour.
    He took forever to put it in doing it twice while I tried to stay still through many contractions and throwing up. Amelie's heart rate was dropping on each contraction at this point and the midwife and Dh were watching it closely and getting concerned but could not think about it I just had to focus on getting through the pain. The contractions started to lessen in pain and next thing I felt like I needed to push at each contraction it was uncontrollable.
    The midwife was suprised and examined me again to find I was 10cm dilated. OMG I was in shock to so I wasnt such a wuss this was the end not the beginning. She allowed me to push and Dh got to see a tuft of dark hair so we wernt far away. My ob was called and beacause of her dropping heart rate he decided to get her out quick with vacum extraction which hurt like hell when he put the cup in and he did apologise so maybe he did something wrong.
    My precious girl was born at 5:20am she criedwhen she came out and was placed on my belly and stated to go purple and quiet. The Ob grabbed her and she was resusitated with oxygen and was breathing on her own within seconds. Dh was very concerned but at this point I just new she would be ok. The cord was wrapped around her neck so this was why her hear kept dropping so what a great decision my Ob made to get her out.
    I was bawling at how beautiful she was and could not believe she was here. She is perfect in everyway and has not been affeced at all by my diabetes or her little bit of trauma in the end. I had a first degree tear which has not bothered me at all and I feel great.
    My body and her were obviously very ready for her to come into this world. She was 3050kg 49cm long and Hd 33cm and born with lots and lots of dark brown hair.
    I

Last edited by Kristale; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks for sharing Kristale - and welcome Amelie!

Sounds like it was full on.

Well done.

CONGRATULATIONS

wow watta way to come into the world. She had me worried for a minute there. so happy she arrived safe! welldone and welcome Amelie!!!

Wow Congratulations

Congratulations!
    And welcome to the world little Amelie Jean!

So glad to hear everything was alright in the end. Congratulations!

Kristale... Sorry its taken a while but congrats... Had tears flowing down my face... Must have been quite scarey for you and DH... Sounds like i had it easy compared to some of the girls from our BB thread...

Glad things are going well now...

congradulations

Congratulations, what a great story. Well done!!

Congratulations on your new addition. Hope all is well now