Thread: BIG "mistake" BY HOSPITAL,PLEASE HELP THIS MUM AND HER POOR BABY

Exclamation BIG "mistake" BY HOSPITAL,PLEASE HELP THIS MUM AND HER POOR BABY

It’s a sad story, a true story, and I never expected it to happen to my loved ones, never expected it to come with the joy of my new baby.

My wife and I have been longing for a baby for years. She had miscarriages and suffered a lot physically and psychologically. We were so over the moon when we knew this pregnancy is successful and our little angel from the God will bring so much joy to the family.

Her labour is long and with complications. Vomiting and pain is unbearable. We decided to have epidural, believing it’s a very mature medical procedure and has been used on millions of people for different operations. The most unbelievable mistake happened (the first instance in the world) that the anaesthetist injected Chlorhexidine (the skin cleansing and preparation solution) into my wife’s epidural space.

My wife has been paralysed since then. We were not told about the mistake 3 days later. Excuses have been given and the anaesthetist only saw us 4 days later after the incidence explaining that the blood on the needle from first attempt finding the epidural space contaminated the Chlorhexidine, so she mistaken it as the right medication.

I don’t know what on earth really happened. My wife has had 2 major brain operations to remove fluid in the brain, adverse effect from wrong chemical getting into the spine and thus brain tissues. She is still in high dependency unit and nobody can tell us about her future prognosis, as such mistake has never happened to date.

My poor baby has never left the hospital since coming to the world. He has never tasted mum’s milk even my wife is a strong believer in breast feeding. We have been pumping milk out to maintain the supply, but couldn’t give it to my son as my wife has been on too many drugs that affect breast feeding.

My wife is a determined fighter. She is having rehabilitation program and believes she will pull through this disaster.

We believe more people should know about our story. We deserve justice and yet justice seems still some distance away.

--------This is a true stroy which happened in a NSW hospital, the couple are my friend, I only do pass the post in here. If you know any way or media which can help them to get a fair treatment please help!
    Last edited by ~Raven~; August 12th, 2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: removed name of hospital

Yallum I have removed the name of the hospital because we don't want any legal action taken on the forum owner.

What an awful thing for your friends to go through. Perhaps they could start by pursuing the head of the hospital and then the relevant health minister in your state if there is no response. Failing that take it to the media!

Thought I'd bump this since it's such a hot topic right now.

Yalumm, this is a terrible, terrible thing to happen. So many of us are thinking of you and sending your family strength xoxoxo

Yalumm, your friends are in the thoughts of my husband and I, are hoping there is someone in the world who can help your friends to make it out of hospital and to enjoy their little boy.

Such a heartbreaking and tragic story. Your friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

Regards,
    Dianne

this is just so awful. I heard about this on the news last night..... they are in my thoughts. xxx

This is such a scarey story - I'm very sorry.

by the way, this story was in the Herald Sun today (and named the NSW hospital if anyone wants to know which hospital).

How tragic. I pray your friend can fight her way back from this. The most difficult thing is that you place your trust in the hands of other people, and as sad as it is, humans are prone to make mistakes.

I'm so sorry for your friend.

i'm so sorry Yalumm.
    i'm thinking of your friends and hoping she recovers xoxox

That is terrible. I truely hope she rocovers from this. Such a terrible start to what should be a joyous occasion.

my thoughts and prayers are with the family during this horrendous time xx

i read about this yesterday and was just horrified that such a mistake could happen... your friends are in my thoughts.

I want to know why the chlorhexidine was in a needle to start with. What a big c0ckup on someones part!!! I was horrified that such a simple mistake is having life threatening results. This family is very much in my thoughts

I wondered same thing Kim. The anethitist would of have to have gotten a needle and syringe and drawn the stuff up. And its clearly labelled!

Keeping them in my thoughts.

I hope she will be ok.

xxx

Yes, chlorhexidine would be in a 'twist-top - squeeze out' vial and the epidural would have been in a glass or injection type ampoule. They look totally different! So to draw up the wrong fluid is a REALLY bad mistake.