Thread: The birth of Emily....

Post The birth of Emily....

I'll try to make this as quick as i can.

I have very mixed feelings about Emilys birth, not too sure why, dont feel cheated or that i did anything wrong but im not happy with it, makes me cry every time i think about it. But at the end i have this beautiful healthy little girl who i love dearly - nothing could be better.

I really thought i would go into labour with Emily myself at around 37-38 weeks, so when week 40 came around i wasnt too impressed! They had planned to induce me with the gel on sunday 25th march, me being 10 days over my due date, i cried when i found this out the week before, (just wanted my little one in my arms as well as being sick of being pg) but then thought i'd spend the week enjoying my own time and my pg.

Wednesday night i had a few small pains and had a little bit of the show when i got up but then nothing for the rest of the day, i had a appointment on the thursday and the mw did an internal but she said nothing was happening and booked me in for the induction.

Friday night had more pains that kept waking me through the night, they got so bad and annoying that i ended up getting up at 4.30 in the morning. Pains kept coming and going, went out to lunch on the saturday for my pops birthday and still had the pains - slowed down a bit but were still there. Got home finished the house work and got into the bath to relax - at around 7.40pm i decided that it may be time to get into the hossy.

We arrived at 8.30pm after a painful car ride for me, got put straight into the birthing room where i was in the worst pain id ever been in! (so i thought at the time) I asked for an epi - they started getting it ready straight away - contractions were around 5-3 mins apart and i was 3cm dialated. Used a little gas while waiting for the epi to start. The epi was put in and i started to feel better. I started to feel this pressure in my bum which made me want to push, (like needing a poo but having no bum hole!?) Just before 1am the doctor came in and broke my waters - this they found to have a slight staining and told me the baby had pooed but that it was light and look to have not just happened - they wernt too worried about it. A little later the babys heart was slowing down, the doc came in again they checked to see how dialated i was - only 5 cm - the doc came to dp and i and said they would need to do a emergency c-section as my cervix was swelled up and the baby was in distress, i started crying (and am now thinking about it) This wasnt what i wanted or though would happen to me. They wheeled me off to prepare me for the surgery, i started feeling sick, but still in tears. When they brought dp in to sit with me i could see the worry on his face (for me and my crying). When they pulled her out at 3.59am we heard her let out these two little cries (sounded like a duck) They sucked out her mouth and brough her to us, she was just so precious! She still wasnt making a proper cry so they took her again - they came and told us that she had swallowed some of the poo and that her breathing wasnt good and her heart was beating too fast and she would be going to special care nursery - me, bawling.
    They stitched me up and took me to recovery as i had apparently lost too much blood and they though id need a transfusion - i didnt end up needing one but laying there with no baby and no dp and wondering what the hell was happening was hell.
    They finally took me back to the room to dp - where a doc came in and updated us on Emily, they said that they had no major conserns for her but did want to monitor her - the worst would be that she'd need to go to the royal childerns to have the poo sucked out. I was so beside myself and not feeling well i just couldnt comprehend (sp) any of it.

In the end - otherwise it will go on and on -
    On sunday i didnt see Emily at all, i could get out of the bed, the pain was unbearable and i could stand to see her but not touch her or be with her, on the monday morning i got into a wheel chair and went to see her - she was soo little in the isolete (sp) and was hooked up to machines, had a drip - my poor little babe! i began breast feeding her, this felt so fantastic! Tuesday i spent most of the day there with her and they had moved her into an open crib (yay!) in the afternoon they took her drip out and that night at about 8pm they told me i could take her for the night - this was what i wanted - i couldnt out her down - never wanted to be apart from her again. Wednesday morning my nipples were killing me, they were cracked and bleeding, wednesday the doc's came and checked over her to find that she has tounge tie - great something else for my poor little bub, they said that this was why my nipples were cracked. Anyway, we got to come home thursday and she's doing great, i have to express because my nipples are so bad and if i put her on it will just happen again, but at least she's getting bf. I have names of docs who can fix her tounge - but i want to wait for a week or two to let her settle down before experencing any more pain.
    Well in SHORT (!) thats it.

Just like to add that the staff and the hossy couldnt have been better, they were really fantastic and very helpful with everything.
    Thanks for reading!

Taia's Mum Guest

Oh Shell - your story makes me want to cry! I can see so much of my feelings in your story! It must of been hell for you not being able to hold your little one after the birth! I really hope that you are happy with your bubs now that you are home and not too sad about what happened.
    Keep in touch in the Baby Buddies room sweety
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo xoxoxox

Oh you poor thing. At least Emily is a healthy bub......it would be bad not having ur birth go to plan.....thanks for sharing your story....it made tears well in my eyes...

Shell congratulations on Emilys birth. sorry to hear you werent able to cuddle her for a while. Yay on being home and yay that youre doing well!

Shell, its true you have a healthy bub. But as women we are allowed to have dreams for the birth of our babies too. i am in tears... i hope the rest of your journey is as beautiful as your daughter. Thankyou for sharing. xoox

Thanks so much for sharing Shell. What an ordeal you went through. It must have been so hard not to hold her for so long. She sounds lovely though & I can tell you are in love with her! Hope they are able to fix the tongue tie easily.

Another story with me in tears... Im so glad that shes home with u now! All the best...

Wow Shell, I'm sorry you couldn't have the birth you would have wanted - did it help to write it down? I can imagine being upset at not having your girl with you right away; we had to visit special care too (for about half an hour while they checked his jaundice and breathing, then we could go home), and I was a wreck. Glad you're home now at last with both your girls!!

Shell - sorry to hear you had such a rough time but hope you are enjoying your little girl now, catch up in march abies, gotta run someone calling

Shell, Thank you for sharing your story. I thought that I'd mention my DS also had tongue tie - except that they told me it wouldn't effect BF which it did and I perservered for 6 weeks. We had to search around to find someone who would cut it - and it was such a simple precedure (over in a few seconds) and he didn't feel any pain at all. The pead who did it had it done herself as an adult and said it doesn't hurt. There are no nerves in the flap of skin that they cut and there wasn't really any bleeding either. I just thought I'd let you know as I was much more upset than DS He only cried when they took him from me and cried much more getting his shots than this.