Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The birth of Gemma Louise

Kirsty77 Guest

Default The birth of Gemma Louise

It all started on wednesday 14/9 during my doc appointment, my doc had booked me in to be induced that night!

Corey and I nervously paced the house untill 8pm then made our way to the hospital.I was due to have my first lot of gel at 10pm but because they were busy I got woken at midnight for the first lot.When they did my first internal just before the gel was inserted I was told I was already 1cm dilated, much to my surprise!Well it didn't take long for the contractions to start....one hour later at 1am I was having mild contractions 2 mins apart.The midwife couldn't beleive have fast I had reacted!The contractions were buliding in strength really quickly and during one of my fetal checks it was discoverd that Gemma was happily sleeping through them!

Now this is where it starts to get a little hazy and where time seemed to escape me.I remember asking them to call Corey at 6am as they were getting a bit ouchy and having him there would take my mind off them.Corey arrived looking nervous and excited, and helped me into the shower for some relief.The midwife came back at 8am and broke my waters which was soooo disgusting!At 9am I was moved up into the labour ward and by then the contractions were getting hard to handle.Now all I remember from here is a lot of painful contractions and sucking on the gas mask so hard that I now have a few bruises on my nose and cheeks!Apparently I was on the birth ball in the shower for hours with my mum, my sister and corey all taking turns in there with me.

By the evening I was buggered and begging for some pain relief so I could have a break before I had to start pushing.I was examined and found to be 7cm(just in time to have an epidural).Sadly the epidural didn't work well on me.I bumped it out a little making it only numb my left side not my right, so I was having contractions on the right side only and the epidural was wearing off really quickly with me.At the end I was examined again and found to be 9cm, I ended up staying at 9cm for 3 hours untill they decided that they had to intervene as I wasn't going to progress any further.I was taken up for a c/s where they tried to give me another epidural which didn't work.I think they administered it about 5 times to try to get my right side numb, but it just wouldn't take.In the end they decided on a spinal tap.This was magic!I think I dozed off a few times on the table because I was soooo exhausted!

Finally Gemma was born at 11.15pm the following night, thursday 15/9, weighing in at a healthy 8lb 13oz.The doc said to me that there was no way I could have had her naturally as her head was to big to pass through my pelvis.Was also told that Gemma was posterior which is why I wasn't progressing and why the contractions were so intense in my back.

I'm just so thankful that she arrived heathly after such a long labour.She never was fussed with me being in labour, as she slept through most of it!

Would I do it again...............................YES!!!!!!!!!!! !

Thanks for sharing your story Kirsty! Sounds like you had a bit of a rough time but glad Gemma came into this world safely.

Melody Guest

Whoooo Hoo! Congratulations Kirsty

Welcome to the world Gemma!

Melinda Guest

Thanks for sharing your story Kirsty!!!

Amazing that Gemma slept through the whole thing!!! That's incredible!

Congratulations again.....

kirsty Guest

Thanx for sharing your amazing story & for it ending on such a positive note!!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Thanks for sharing your story Kirsty, bugger about the epi, mine was wonderful

Wow Kirsty, you did an amazing job sweetie, and its great to see you so positive and wanting to do it all again!

Congratulations again! =D>

Well done Kirsty!

What a great birth story. Thanks for sharing it with us!

*Yvette* Guest

Well done Kirsty, and thanks for sharing your story. I know how much more painful it can be with a posterior baby.

What you described with your epidural is exactly what happened with me. It only worked on the left side and wore off really quickly. I ended up with a spinal too.

Yep, it's all worth it O

kirsty - thank you for sharing your story, wow, sounds so exhausting!!

a huge congrats to you =D>

Linda

Well done Kirsty!

You and I had our bubs in the same hospital under similar circumstances (induced, long labour, 9cm dilated, ending in a c-section!) Interestingly enough - 5 other mums in my mums group at K'roy community health had similar experiences too!

Which doctor did you have? Dr Eadie? Or Dr Bartel? I know there's one other dr in town who delivers bubs, but i can't remember his name.

I went privately through Dr Eadie. He was fantastic.

One of the Mums in my mums group had a similar experience with the epidural too - it only half worked, and she could actually feel the c-section. So scary. Ok. I'm babbling here - lack of sleep (you're a new mummy - I'm sure you understand!)

Anyhow - Congrats from Hannah and I!

P.S. there is a Mum's with prams walk each thursday at 930am in town if you're interested. Heaps of mums go and it's great support for one another.

Great story Kirsty =D>
    I had sore teeth the next day after having Angus as I bit so hard on the mouthpiece so I had a LOL about your nose!
    Glad it all turned out well and Gemma got here safe and well

What is it about that gas, I was told to let go also!!!!

Well done hun, such a long drawn out labor, but glad all little Gemma did was sleep throught it all. TYPICAL hey, they relax as we do it all.!!!! O

Kirsty77 Guest

Hey Juliette

Thats amazing that so many other women have had similar experiences!I had Dr Fulcher deliver her.He was really good.I'll think about the mums group walk thingo, might wait till I have all these pesky staples out!I still have 2 in as one side hasn't healed as well as the other.Have put a pad in there to help keep it dry!

Dr Fulcher - That was the other doc's name I couldn't think of! I've heard he was pretty good from a couple of girls.

You should feel so much better after you get those staples out. Mine used to pull whenever I tried to do anything. I did the pad thing too (they have multiple uses don't they!). I also bought this scar healing stuff from Barry @ Soul Pattinson's chemist called "solo site" - it's really helped heal it up nicely.

It'd be cool if you came on the walk when you're up to it. Just post in the QLDers thread, and I can meet you somewhere and introduce you to everyone if you like. Or alteratively - if you're wanting to get out of the house for a coffee, I'm sure Hannah would love to meet Gemma.

Have you met Katy the Child Health Nurse yet? She is so nice. I don't know where I'd be without her.

Thanks so much for sharing your story!

You have done so well to come through it with a gorgeous girl to boot!

Congrats Kirsty and well done, a healthy bub is the most important thing! Hope you are recovering well.

Best wishes Michelle

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your birth story with us Gem!!

Hey, I hope your little girl is just as good a sleeper now that she is out in the world as she was during her entry into the world! (DOes it ever work that way??)

Well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast