Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brendan's Story

Exclamation Brendan's Story, born at 30wks

Sorry this is a little long, I've written from conception.

At 20, I had the world at my feet. My FiancÚ and I both had strong jobs and were looking at buying our first home. It was 4:30 am when I discovered I was pregnant, (I worked at Coles in the bakery). We were both very excited!
    I had Morning sickness all day, but still battled along in my job. At 16wks I had severe bleeding and was taken to hospital. Being a country hospital I had to wait around an hour or so for the Dr to arrive. When he arrived he had a feel of my tummy and told me I was miscarrying. I was heartbroken. I was only kept in overnight, they were all 99% sure I was going to lose my little bub. I saw my Dr the following day, but had to wait a week for an ultrasound to find out if my little bub had survived. It was the worst week of my life. I had already taken leave from my job, not wanting to risk anything. When they did the ultrasound I saw my little bub, he was ok! I had bled from around the placenta, but it appeared to still be intact and healthy. I was on bed rest from then on. At around 20 wks my fiancÚ got another job about 4-5 hrs away, we were staying at his Nana's.
    In Jan 07 we moved to a very small town, Marvel Loch a farming/mining town approximately 30 kms south of Southern Cross WA. I stayed with my mum, not wanting to disrupt the pregnancy; I was determined to carry my baby. I was having ultrasounds every 2-3 weeks to make sure everything was going ok. At 24 wks I had finally stopped passing blood. I thought I was safe.

At 28wks my waters broke (PPROM, Preterm- PreLabour Rupture of Membranes) there was no warning. I felt ok, but starting feeling sick inside, it was way too early! My mum lives out of town and rang my hospital, they told me to go straight to King Edward Memorial Hospital. My mum drove me the 2 hrs into Perth. The next few hours were a blur, I had drips and blood tests and strapped to the ECG. At around 11:30 pm I was admitted onto the ward. I was given steroids and other drugs to stop my labour. I didn't really sleep much that night. My mum had slept in her car as she couldn't get a room for the night. I had an ultrasound the following day, showing a small 1108 Gms (2lb 7oz).

The next few days passed slowly, my mum was always there she didn't go home for anything. The nurses showed me the NICU, which was scary seeing all the tiny babies. The nurse pointed out, through the window, a baby that had been born at 28 wks. I felt a little bit more prepared for what was going to happen. For the next week and a bit I had seen the inside of the labour ward 3 times with false alarms. On the 24th of Feb I woke up with contractions happening around every 3-4 mins once again it was a trip down to the labour ward. It was going to be a long day. Closer to giving birth it was discovered I had Chorioamnionitis (An infection of the Uterus Lining) I had given my bub an infection also.

At 3:15 am on the 25th of Feb, My little miracle boy was born weighing in at 1545 gms. I saw him being born, poor little guy was blue.
    It was really hard not being able to hold him. My mum could see what was happening and tried to stop me from seeing him. Brendan?€™s Heart wasn't beating and he wasn't breathing. The whole room was silent all I could hear was them counting the compressions to get his heart started. The Dr had to give him a shot of adrenaline (sp?) It took them nearly 5 mins to get his heart beating and to get him breathing. His Apgar scores at 1 and 5 were 2 and 4. At around 3:30 am they showed him to me. He was hooked up to all the life supprot machines. I touched his little hand and he grabbed hold of my finger. They had to pull him off so they could get him into the NICU.

My fiancÚ came down to visit us that day. We went down to see our little miracle; I thought I was prepared to see him hooked up to the ventilator and all the tubes everywhere. But I wasn't I burst into tears, It took me 3-4 days before I could sit with him longer that 15 mins.

Brendan was strong; he was on Ventilation for 5 hours before going onto CPAP. At lunchtime they started cycling him on and off CPAP. He was trying to breathe himself!! I remember my first hold, he was 6 days old. We were both wrapped in bubble wrap and blankets. It was the most beautiful moment.

He moved into the SCN at 8 days. He was doing very well. I was allowed to hold him more often. At 2 wks he got an infection which saw him go back into the NICU, after almost losing him he bounced back only spending 3 days there. Finally we saw the last of NICU. At 3 1/2 weeks he was out of the humidi-crib. I was able to cuddle him when I wanted. We tried to start breastfeeding which was amazing. I had to use a nipple-shield, because of his little mouth. At 5 weeks he was being breast and bottle fed. No more nasal-gastric tube! He was still desating which meant we weren't going anywhere. At 5 weeks and 4 days the Dr ordered the monitor off him, a huge relief a step closer to home. After keeping him monitored for 24 hrs, we were allowed to go home on Easter Saturday. He was 5 weeks and 6 days old. Brendan battled two infections and jaundice.

Brendan is now 10 months old and has no problems at all. He's still a little behind, but I don't care. He's beautiful and healthy and that's all that matters.

Visit Brendan's hospital journey here: Brendan from birth to 6 weeks old

Last edited by Early Kids; December 24th, 2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Insert a link

Thank you He's doing really well now, just little for his age. It will also take him a bit longer to learn his motor skills.

Oh wow Sally, that is just amazing. What a strong little figher!

becky Guest

Wow, Congratulations. I am so happy for you! What a traumatic start for you both, but it sounds like you have all come out of it fine. I am so so glad your little boy is healthy and happy now. X

Default Brendan, born at 30wks.

Brendan has reached 6 months corrected age (8 1/2 months actual age)!! We have our next visit to a paed in the 1st week of Jan. He will have an eye check done sometime in the new year also.

Brendan weighs just over 7kg and is 65cms long. He can roll from stomach to back, but that's as far as his motor skills go. He babbles a fair bit and can giggle. He's been on solids for about 2wks now. He has 5 bottles of about 200-250ml a day. He sleeps from 9:30pm till about 8-8:30am (DLS time). He also sleeps 2-3 hrs between each feed during the day.
    Last edited by Early Kids; November 10th, 2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling error

Congratulations Sally - it sounds like Brendan got his fighting spirit from his mum. Bet it just makes you melt when he giggles!!

Congratulations - my DD was born at 36w with PPROM and that was difficult enough to go through!

I'm sure Brendan will catch up wonderfully - at 6 months corrected my DD wasn't doing much in the way of her motor skills but yesterday (exactly 1 year corrected) she started crawling around really well - they do catch up!!

Has Brendan seen a physio - it really helped us as they could tell us that my DDs movements were all normal and that she was just taking her time to develop her gross motor skills - they also gave us some helpful exercises?

Marion

x

Thanks, Mmack, I was actually just thinking about it the other day.... but decided to wait till out 8 month corrected paed appt. After christmas won't be as stressful!!

Wow Sally, I have tears in my eyes and feel like such a woos as I cried when my bub had to go under the lights for jaundice! What a little struggler, sounds like he is destined for great things. You sound like such a proud mumma!

Good luck for the future, by the sounds of it Brendan will catch up in no time (and probably surpass).

Congratulations on the birth of Jellybean
    I'm Definately Proud of my lil man!! every milestone he reaches is that little bit more special. Brendan almost had a blood infusion for his jaundice, he was very lucky. He was under 3 UV lights and had a little pad underneath him, made it hard to get into the humidicrib!! he was under lights for nearly 3 weeks.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

What a lovely fighting story i was crying reading it!!

Congratulations to you and your little man!

Thankyou to everyone who has taken the time to read Brendan's story

Wow what an amazing story. Brendan sure is a little fighter, no wonder why your sooooooo much in love with him. Congrats on your new pregnancy too. I hope this little one can hang out a little longer in there than Brendan did. Do they have hope that he/she will? Good luck with it all anyway and enjoy all those precious little milestones with Brendan, what a champion you have. And what a champion you are as well, you sound as though you have done and are doing a wonderful job, I hope you get lots of praise for what you do. But I guess all the priase we need comes from all those smiles and giggles, hey!!! Congrats again.

Thank you Mummy Mel, the dr's have given me a higher chance of another premature birth. but each pregnancy is different and what happened with Brendan may have been "just a fluke".

OMG, what an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thank you for reading

What a beautiful story of survival!! He sounds like a precious little man.

Best of luck with this next pregnancy, I feel there will be lots of positive thoughts with you!

Thanks for your thoughts... unfortunately I have recently suffered a miscarriage.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast