Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my story so i can may be help *May be Distressing for some*

Exclamation my story so i can may be help *May be Distressing for some*

hello i didnt know where to post this but i indeed wanted to to maybe give some mothers to be an imput on a birth story that didnt go as planned so i could maybe help you guys tospeak up if you feel that something is wrong.

ok here is my story of the birth of my son levi (two years old now)
    like i said i think woman deserve to read the horrer story of borth so they can preparethem selfs so the worst and by reading this prevent it from happening.

ok i will make it the short cut version well ill try to or ill be here for hours

my son levi was due on the 29th of january 2005 but that date soon approached and passed so i went to the hosp and saw doc and asked for an induction( i was worried i had heard that going over due put you r baby at risk of being still born ) the doc refused and sent me home to wait i then went back and asked again at this time i was a week over due and had had enough it was summer and hot. he agreed and booked me in for am induction 2 days later. the night before i was due at the hosp i went into labour i went into the hosp and they told me to come back in the morn when i arrived at the hosp at 7 am they proceeded to induce me with the cervix gel. i didn't know if this was right i mean i was already in labour but i thought they knew what they were doing so i didnt worry.

wow 1 hour later i was in full blown labour the contractions were extreamly painful this was my first so i had no idea what i was in for. the nurse monitored our babys heart beat (which was fine) and let me deal with the pain my self. i after a few hours i asked for some pain releif i was so gonna try not to have any but i needed some bad. i was given a shot of pethadine which really didnt do much just made me tired. i was moved in to the labour ward and my waters were broken. by this time it was around 3 pm time flys when your in labour. i tried the gass and man did that make me feel ill the first breath was great i went all giggly as i was standing there butt naked but then it just made me dizzy and ill. i was so tired i had been up all night and been in pain all day so the nurse sujested an epidural ( which also i regret) it was horrible i couldn't move. it was funny though it made me and my partner laugh my legs kept falling off the bed so my partner he had to keep putting them back on. ok all that is pretty normal for a labour story the horrer starts at the pushing part.

at the time it was time to push it was 8 pm i had gone into labour the night before at about 10pm so i was exhausted. the fetoel heart monitor around my stomach kept on slipping so my trusted midwife decided to remove it (smart idea) i started pushing and pushing and pushing half hour had passed and i got no where the doctor i had assisting the midwife was a new doctor and i had to be the first woman she was about to deliver her first baby to was. the practising doc was worried and asked the midwife if she should call for assistance. the midwife declined and said give it 10 more mins which turned into 30- mins . and i proceeded to push at the 1 hour mark you could only just see levis head crowning. the doc then asked again if we should call for help i was extreamy worried but the midwife insisted that i keep on going. i knew this was not ok i could feel him struggling and getting extreamly stressed. remember i had no heart monitor on my son so no one knew that he was in distress. i complained of a weird senstation coming from my vaginal area i could feel levi struggling like he was tring to scream or breath it was horrible, the nurse dismissed this as him just kicking.

an hour and a half had passed and levi head was half out but still was not budging the doc asked once agin and the midwife still said no it was like she had too much pride and she didnt want to admit she couldnt do this birth. she decided to cut me to make room for levi to be born. but she had left it too late and there was no room. she said to me you have to push him out now. i was so tired i had been doing this for 2 hours. i gave it everything i had and finally levi rae was born at 10.02 pm 24 hours of labour and 2 hours of pushing. i layed there releifed that it was all over. i listened to hear my baby cry but there was just silence it still makes me cry writting this today. i looked at my son he lay there motionless looking very pale in colour they rubbed him consistently to try to get him to breath. but he didnt. the emergency button was pushed and doctors cam flying in. they began resusitating his little body. the main doc asked fo rthe time of birth my midwife looked atthe clock and just guessed the time so to this day we dont know what the exact time of birth was.

they removed levi from my room as i lay there screaming and crying my partner paul was sent with him but later returned to my side for he couldnt bare to leave me. at that point i didnt know if i had just become a mother or just lost a child!! i was cleaned up and sent to my room with out being told a thing the midwife whom delivered my son came to see me she sat down and said to me and these are her exact words that sent chills down my spine " remember this is not my fault things like this happen". i was told to go to sleep, i still didnt know if my son was alive i was told nothing, i cannot explain what that felt like no one seemed to care. i managed to cry myself to sleep and woke a couple of hours later i woke my partner and i insisted i saw my son. i walked in to the intensive care unit and he layed there motionless on a ventalator and with a million wires attached. i broke down how could something i waited 9 months for fall apart. you always think everything will end up ok.

early that morn the ventalator was removed and we wer told he would be ok i looked at him he was not ok he tryed to cry but no sound was made and each breath he attempted to make was a struggle.

tests were preformed and we were lold that he was fine except for a lung infection which he would need to be transferred to brisbane straight away. brisbane is 3 and a half hours from where we lived. friends and family visited but i had no baby to show, it upsetted me so much but i was told he was ok so i llooked on the bright side. that night he was flown to birsbane and paul and i drove the next day. we arrived at the hosp and were taken up to the intensive care unit. i walked into his room. my heart stopped i swear i broke down. he looked so ill the room was full of machines and he was on a ventalator again in a medical induced coma. he had been seizering all night so the docs wanted to preform more tests. we were asked what we knew and i explained that we were told that he had a lung infection. the nurse looked at me with this look and he said what lung infection at that point i knew he was bad and that the hosp back home had lied to us and just wanted us out because they knew they stuffed up.

we were told that an MRI was to be preformed and the results were devistatind we were told that he had suffered hypoxia ( lack of oxygen at birth) adn that he had suffered extraem brain damage and that he would most possibly die. at that point i became numb and angry.

each day levi got better and spent only a month in hospital befor we could take him home. i didnt hold him untill he was a week old or bath him or just be a mum to him. docs back home said that we would not know the outcome of how severe his brain damage would be untill he got older.

levi smiled at 6 weeks of age and laughed at 4 months, he will be 2 on the 7th of feb this year and he cannot roll,sit, crawl or walk, and probly never will. thanks to the docs that delivered him that removed the fetoel heart monitor and let him indure such a stressfull birth my son has lost his ability to have a normal life. we are currently in the middle of a law suit against the hospital for medical negligence. levi has and will have ongoing medical needs he was diagosed with spastic quadriplegia cerlebral palsy at the age of 9 months and will need constant operations and doc appoints for the rest of his life.

i hope i havnt scared any one i hope i have made you all awear that to follow your instincts and speak up i know i will this time due to their will to not care has made my life so hard for all members of my family. but i sit here and smile it could have been worse i could of lost my little boy but he was ment to be here with me for he was a fighter . he is very smart and we are thankfully that the brain damage hasn't affected him mentally. thankyou for your time i hope i have not bored you all too much. i love my son and i wouldnt have him any other way . FOLLOW YOU INSTICTS YOUR A MOTHER YOU KNOW BEST.LISTEN TO YOUR HEART>

lindie Guest

Hi Levismum,

I too suffered a similar problem at the birth of my older son and from what you have described to this day I have been unable to describe to anyone. I too had a pretty unsimpathetic midwife and had pretty long labour, My son is now 11 and has some learning difficulties and from hearing from you I feel pretty damned lucky right now.

I was just wondering what hospital this occured at?

My heart goes out to you and Levi.

All the best

Lindie

Levi, I had a very similar thing happen to me as well. My Ds's head got stuck on my perinium and the midwife refused my pleas and the other midwife's pleas to call in assistance, saying to me 'it won't make it any less painful'. My son's head was stuck like this, half out, for 1 and 3/4's of an hour. 105 minutes. Pushing stage in total was around 2and half - 3 hours. She only would allow me to lie on the bed to push, I requested that I be squatting or kneeling. I'm sure lying down didn't help the cause of getting him out.

Thankfully he was okay, but had some problems early on due to his head getting stuck like that and going into a bit of distress.

My hospital was located approximately 3 and half hours from Brisbane and I'm even wondering if you were in the same place with the same midwife. I was warned about this one before I went in there and it was like she was trying to get self glory. All the midwives were talking about how she pulled it off without forceps and vacumme extraction after all that time. I was begging for VE and so was the other midwife. I also had problems due to the way she pulled out the placenta and left heaps of bits in there and also wouldn't let me BF in delivery suite, and it almost didn't happen because of that, she made me wait 12 hours before showing me what to do and DS had real problems with it because of this (I was only 19 and didn't have any guts back then).

If you can and want to, I would love to hear from you which hospital this was. You can email me on [email protected] I realize you may not be able to do this due to the lawsuit.

I saw many many things that were negligent and wrong in that hospital, I spent a long time in there.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with Levi, and I hope you can get to a different hospital this time around. Thankyou for sharing that with us, and the important thing to know is to trust your instincts like you say. You are an extremely brave woman and I am glad you are taking the hospital on after this happened to you. What a distressing thing to happen for you, and I'm so sorry to hear Levi has ongoing problems because of it. I have felt bitter about my experience, but I feel very lucky now after reading what happened with Levi, I realize how much worse it could have been. Thankyou so much again for sharing this with everyone.
    Last edited by Aranah; February 8th, 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Mate............. you guys are just AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
    I take my hat of to you guys for coping so well with what you have spoken about... you are all absolutly amazing women

All I can keep thinking about the hospitals is.......... asssssssssssssholes.

Good luck with your endevours to make these people accountable for thier actions.... All my karma vibes coming your way... for some extra ammo :P

My god, i have tears streaming down my face. How could they do that to you. My heart and love goes out to you and your family. My i wish Levi the very best for his future.

thanks guys lik ei said i just wanted everyone to know that things do go wrong so be prepared and in controll .

heidi Guest

Levi's mum,

Thanks so much for sharing your story - that was an incredibly gutsy thing to do. I'm only 9w6d pregnant with my first, and I fee like a tbit of a tourist on this pregnancy journey (esp when it comes to listening to my Dr). But not anymore.

Your story (and others like it) have made me realise i'm going to have to be proactive and to learn as much as I can.

I can't believe this can happen in this day and age. Levi really is a fighter. And you are amazing, I guess that's where Levi gets his strength from.

Wishing all the best with the lawsuit - and thanks.

Heidi
    Last edited by heidi; February 8th, 2007 at 03:23 PM. Reason: forgot name

levis mum, thank you for sharing your story. you are truly amazing !
    I hope that your wonderful son, Levi enjoyed his 2nd birthday yesterday. xoxo

Levi's mum.
    What a truely amazing story. Unfortunatly another reminder that some (and i am sure it is only a few) peoples out there in the medical world arent operating in the best interest of the patient.
    We all have to self educate ourselves as much as possible to help protect us against these things if at all possible.
    I am glad that there is an outlet like this forum to allow peoples to share both good and bad stories to help others newbys like me know what to, and not to, expect.
    Best of luck to you, Levi and your family.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so very sorry you and Levi had to endure such horror - my heart goes out to you both.

Thanks so much for sharing your story, you're right that it is a bit scarey because you would think that nowadays something like this wouldn't happen. Levi sounds like such a wonderful little man who is with exactly the right family to take care of him - I wish you luck with your lawsuit so that you can more easily pay for his care as he gets older.

I really feel privileged to be able to read about your experience and your strength through everything, and wishing you lots of GREAT birthing vibes for this new baby

Levi'smum, Thankyou for sharing your story.
    I have a cousin she is a twin and unfortunatley due to medical negligence aswell, she now too has to live her life with cerabal palsy but it's amazing as hard as it maybe for her at times, no matter what she always seems to have a smile on her face. Levi is a very lucky boy to have a beautiful mum like you my best wishes for his future and goodluck with the lawsuit.

Oh my goodness!! What a shocking experience. I am so sorry Levi and yourself and your partner had to go through that, its so unfair.

I had my daughter in december 2006 and her heart rate dropped to 50, showing distress, so they cut me and she was delivered within 20minutes of pushing. After hearing your story I am so glad they kept that monitor on (my midwife moved it making sure she could tell what the baby was doing) and I am not worried that they cut me either. I had a few people tell me that the episiotimy was outdated and I started to feel neglected by the hospital that they did it without my consent, but now, after reading your heart breaking story I am glad they took the initiative and delivered my beautiful daughter without too much distress.

Thankyou for sharing and I do hope new mothers do know that they CAN speak out and do not be afraid to, listen to your inner voice, thats what its there for.

Leviís mum,

Thankyou for sharing your story. I was crying reading it and I am so sorry this happened to you and Levi. Amy was distressed and the HR monitor showed her HR dropping to 80 with each contraction. This was enough for the hospital to make a decision for an emergency C/S. The cord was around her neck twice and I am very thankful that they acted so quickly.

I wish you all the best with your lawsuit and I hope the people responsible are held accountable for their actions. People make mistakes but they should have listened to you when you said something was wrong.

Happy birthday to Levi! He is very lucky to have you.

Levi's mum, I am so shocked and saddened that the hospital treated you that way and caused such an awful thing to happen. That you knew there was something wrong and could feel it, it just sickens me that they didn't listen.
    You are amazing and I bet Levi is an amazing little boy. Thank you for sharing, I know your story will make a difference to many women who are yet to have their babies, and many who have had them already. Happy happy birthday to the gorgeous little Levi xoxoxoxo

thankyou for sharing that story with us, you are so very brave!

its a horror story to put it bluntly, like something out of the middle ages, to think that it happened only two years ago makes me shudder

Thank you for sharing your story.. ((hugs))

Like everyone else, I'm so grateful to you for sharing your's and Levi's story. I now feel empowered to demand answers and follow my instincts when the time comes for me to have this little bub.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast