Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madeline Ruby - 2 months early!!

Default Madeline Ruby - 2 months early!!

I had been complaining of pains in my upper chest and shoulder for about 4-6 weeks to my GP (shared care). I was told to take two paracetamol and apply a heat bag to the pain whenever it arose. I thought the problem was more serious than just 'babies positioning' as the pains were horrible and made it difficult to breathe!
    On Friday the 25th of January I felt quite unwell at work after hearing some stressful news (unrelated to bubba) and the pains came back quickly - and in full throttle. I could hardly breathe and felt wonky on my legs. I had a slight fall in the hallway at work while on my way to the toilet and the pains increased. I was trying to breathe them away as the paracetamol wasn't doing squat! I decided it was time to go to the hospital as now I was very stressed about falling onto my stomach and now WAS concerned for bubba's health.
    I arrived at the Lyell McEwin at about 3.15pm and was taken to a bed where the midwife tried to calm me down as I was quite teary and stressed out. She took my blood pressure - is was 180/110. She took it about 20 mins later and then stopped telling me what it was (to be honest I wouldn't have remembered due to the huge pains in my upper chest and difficulty breathing). About 4.30pm DP arrived and tried to calm me down, which worked a bit. Then came the news after supplying a urine sample - too much protein (sorry TMI) in the wee and a blood pressure of now 200/140 (serious stroke material) I had pre-eclampsia.
    I was hooked up to magnesium sulphate and saline drips quick smart and from that point on became a human pin cushion for the next 7 days.

As bubba was only 31 weeks plus 3 days I had to be transferred to the Womens and Childrens Hospital (as only they and the Flinders Medical Centre can handle babies under 32 weeks). Why do I need to go there i'm wondering - bubba isn't hatched yet? The midwife told me then that I may have to deliver my baby. Well don't you think that news set me off again, I was crying saying she's not ready yet etc etc - but was told that I was on my way to either having a stroke or dying, and reassured that bubba can survive at that age no worries and it would be more harmful for her to not be delivered (and more harmful for me too).

DP went home and packed a hospital bag for me and I got an Ambulance ride to the WCH by 8.30pm. (BIG TIP - pack your hospital bag early!! DP did a great job considering the pressure and worry he was under so I'm not complaining at all - he was absolutely wonderful during this entire ordeal!).

Upon arriving at the WCH I was hooked up to more machines, seen by the head consultants, doctors, nurses (I was in high dependency being looked after by a one on one nurse for the next three days). Finally DP arrived (I needed him there so badly) where they did an ultra sound to work out the size of bubba and was later met by a paedeatric (sic) doctor who explained what bubba would look like and DP was taken to the NICU to see where our daughter would be after birth. I kept on being monitored and told that I would be delivering bubba either at midday the following day, or ASAP if my blood pressure and blood work came back all over the shop (which it did).

The consultant came in first thing in the morning and said the only way I'll get better is to deliver bubba - and that was going to happen at 1pm that day (Australia Day). That morning I had more drips inserted to get ready for the operation (c-section) and I was getting frustrated as time ticked on as the only thing I had eaten in the last 24 hours was one ice cube - wasn't allowed to have anything else.
    1pm came and went - I was still waiting for the c-section. About 1.40pm the 'calvary' arrived and wheeled me to theatre where DP got all kitted up. I had to sit up for the first time in 22 hours and was vomiting with my head spins, sweating etc, teary and upset, DP was comforting me. Then the spinal was inserted and the body went tingly from the feet up and I got to lay down again. They double and triple checked to make sure the epidural was working, and put the sheet up and we were on the way. DP was right next to me, fanning me as I was so hot - and then I felt the need to be sick again (sorry TMI) - once the dry retching passed the Dr's could continue with the operation.

Then I remember someone saying she's born, and I looked to my left and saw the open crib with a pink baby inside it, quiet - but I wasn't concerned. DP went over with the nurses to watch and meet our daughter and start taking pictures. He came back to me and shortly after so did Madeline, where she was rested on my chest and opened her eyes and looked right at me. I'll always remember that little look on her face, so innocent and cute. She was then taken to the NICU with half of the original 13 people in the theatre and DP.

Full on, yes, but the pain wasn't over - I was still on drips and regular checks for the following three days due to the pre-eclampsia. The photo's of me are shocking, big red blotchy hands and body, could hardly hold a pen or move full stop.

I still have the bruises from where all the injections were - but I have my little baby girl now - who was born at 2.31pm on Australia Day (a great wedding anniversary present for her grandparents, being their first grandchild). Maddy weighed 1080 grams and was 39.5 cm's in length, head circumfrence of 26 cm's and is now in Special Care Baby Unit one, breathing unassisted and love's mum's milk (through her feeding tube) and is slowly but steadily increasing her feed's! She's a little fighter and I can't wait to bring her home! I hate not being with her, but I know she's in good hands.....

Congratulations Leesa and Michael!!! And welcome to the world Miss Madeline Ruby.

I wish you and your little fighter all the best and what a wonderful present for your grandparents too. I hope you are recovering well. Take care and I send lots of strong growing vibes to your little fighter.

Congratulations on the birth of your little baby. My 2 were both in the SCN, ans whilst it is stressful having them in there, they are getting the best of care.

Wow, what an amazing story. I hope that your little girl continues to grow stronger each day and that you get to bring her home soon.

lv Spring

Enchanted Guest

Congrats Leesa and Michael and the early arrival of your precious Madeline.

I am so glad to hear she is doing well, it must be tough not having her at home but I am sure that soon enough she will be

Thank you for sharing such an amazing journey, I had tears in my eyes thinking about the stress you would have been through. I'm so pleased to hear such a wonderful out come. Sending lots of strong healthy vibes for Madeline. Look after yourself.

Congratulations!!

I really hope your SCN stay is short without any hiccups.
    WOOHOO for breathing unassisted! That's excellent!!

Ooooo almost forgot, take lots of pictures and keep a diary! I regret not keeping a diary of my lil mans journey.

Oh Leesa. Love to you and Michael and Madeline. Well done, and HUGE congratulations to you. Scary, but it sounds like you have all fallen in love and that she is safe and well.

Let me know if there is anything I can do? xxx

What a lovely story, congratulations!! I'm so glad your little Maddy arrived safe and sound, and on Aus day, very special. Love the name by the way.

Congratulations on the birth of little Madeline. I hope she continues to grow big and strong and is home with you very soon

Wow - congratulations!!!

Celsie. xoxox

Congrats

Congratulations on the birth of little baby Madeline. I hope she is home with you very soon.

Congratulations on the birth of your little Madeline. I can so relate - my Alex was born at 34 weeks for p/e as well. So glad to hear you are both well.

Congratulations again.

congratulations on the birth of baby Madeline!
    That is fantastic that she breathing on her own and only one week old!
    what a traumatic experience for you to go through. There is a prem thread on BB and also a great site called Lil Aussie prems that you might find helpful even just to vent and get support.

I hope Madeline continues to do so well, CONGRATULATIONS!

congrats!! love the name!!!

Congratulations on the birth of Madeline Ruby! What a gorgeous name. It sounds like she is doing really well considering how early she was born - hope she gets to go home with you soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast