Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argh sore nipples, oral thrush

Default Argh sore nipples, oral thrush

Just when things were looking settled & I thought I knew what I was doing... even with issues I was confident with bf... then... the oral thrush set in. I noticed Jovie's tongue got a "thicker" layer of white on it & she started having blisters on the insides of her gums & cheeks... then I noticed that my nipples became really painful during & after a feed for ages. So I thought it was thrush, chemist wouldn't give me the treatment until I saw a GP, we have a GP appt today... SOOOO.... I have endured 2 days of this & now Jovie is wanting to feed more frequently, like every 2 hours which would be fine but it kills & now my supply is dropping and last night I gave some EBM so I could have a break & still didn't have enough for her the next feed. :frown: I'm just frustrated, I called the ABA to try & get into seeing a lactation consultant or to go to the next meeting to have someone watch me feed & help... but everyone is away in this area until New Year....

So I'm just venting because this is hard. And I wanted it to be easier this time around, last time I didn't have cracked nipples, or thrush or anything like this... just a child that would scream the house down every feed and feed every 2 hours for the first 3 months.

You poor thing, thrush is not nice It's weird that your chemist wouldn't give you the treatment, I'd be trying a different one! I have bought nystatin drops over the counter a couple of times with no problems. They help really quickly.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Christy, can you get some Fast Tract? It's super potent pro-biotics.... you can give some to Jovie too, but the probiotics will be passed from you to her too...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Often they give you oral thrush treatment to put on your nipples which transfers to bubs as well as ... oh whats it called little drops for bubs mouth. It does hurt but it will get better. In the meantime you can treat your nipples with adult oral thrush cream (the meds they put in adults mouth) and then just wipe off excess before feeds... it will at least help you iykwim.

Goodluck today! You are a super mumma doing a super job Don't forget that!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks shannon you are a fountain of information Nystatin & Daktaral are what we used too Just make sure Nystatin is ok for her age as I think they questioned that with Seth.

*hugs*
    Cailin

It just goes to show that breastfeeding isn't easy, but its well worht it Christy. Stick out the rough times, you'll get to the promised land soon, and it will be a piece of cake
    I hope the thrush clears up nice and quick for you.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Nipple shields can effect the milk going to the baby by 30% so be careful of those. Also Fast Tract is organic and will work quickly to boost up both of your numbers of good bacteria - thrush is an imbalance of good and bad bacteria - the side with the most soldiers wins. Creams can fix it yes, but Fast Tract will fix and prevent future outbreaks, as it goes to work in your body and forms colonies of good bacteria. In times of stress and exhaustion its very easy for the balance to be out of whack.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Arggh -lost my first post. Anyway so I will now be brief.

After having been a thrush suffer for years (including a near impossible to kill bout of nipple thrush) I second about trying Fast-tract, it was worked wonders for me.

okay! Fast track it is, as now I have to be on antibiotics as well for something else... I got the thrush treatment today (Dakarin thanks Shannon )

Good luck with it all Christy, we had thrush a while ago and it's SO not fun hey, just as you think you're getting it all together...
    I know some chemists are reluctant to give the Daktarin gel because some mums gave it on a spoon instead of rubbing it in bub's mouth so bub gagged on the gel...but as long as you know to rub it on your nipples and in Jovie's mouth...or perhaps you just have a wierd chemist.

My dr also said to make sure you keep your nipples dry, cos the goodness and temperature of breastmilk can help thrush grow - she suggested olive oil or lansinoh as a barrier, to help keep milk off your nipples. Or just Daktarin. Oh and apparently thrush doesn't like sunlight either (just don't get burnt nipples! :eek

Good luck with it all, the Fast Tract and Daktarin, and BIG sympathies from me cos I remember how much it SUCKED!

YEs thanks Shannon!!

christy if the fast track isn't effective, i swear by difflucon 1 i know it is meant for vaginal thrush but i have had thrush (nipple) with my 3 boys and with oscar i took that pill and it cleared it up straight away. amazing stuff.
    beckles

Well... still have oral &* nipple thrush but I have been on antibiotics for something else in the meantime. We have just started the fast-track 2 days ago & am getting Kelly to get me some more info...

We've been using the nylstat drops for Jovie & daktarin cream for me...

This is gonna sound funny but have you been going bra free? I found I needed to air them LOL! So if you can air those babies as much as possible LOL!

Goodlluck! Sending you thrush free vibes... You are doing sooo welll!

*hugs*
    Cailin

I don't feel well LOL... feeling very teary everytime its time for a feed. Poor Jovie is refusing the breast big time atm. I was on the phone to the ABA yesterday who suggested feeding both sides every few minutes swapping sides so the let down is easier to get because once she has to really suck she starts screaming. So I've been doing that every feed 6 times or so and then I can't do it anymore & she's still hungry so we've topped up with EBM and she's happy drinking a bottle & content afterwards, which is soo frustrating. I've been expressing every hour to keep up supply but its not going too well... its starting to dwindle. I started the aktavite recipe today and am going to get some fenergeek tablets this arvo. Not much else I can do atm. I keep saying I'm doing my best and its okay... its not my fault... BREAST is BEST! If I didn't have support or encouragement for continuing breastfeeding I can see how easy it is to stop. Its hard hard work atm.

CHRISTY so sorry to hear that your still having problems with the thrush, bugger it.....i dont blame you for being so upset at feed time and then having to express on top of that you poor thing. i hope things start to really clear up for you soon and feeding becomes easier for you all, hopefully witha all the nipple stimulation from feeding both sides more will keep your supply going for you. wish i could give you a big hug.

i have just had nipple thrush myself, after replying to this, oscar has oral thrush too. i took the diflucan 1 and it was better by the next day and gone by the next. oscar is still having the nilstat but he has gone onto AB's for an ear infection so will keep it up for him. i also give him pro biotic, the powder so he's system has a chance of getting some good bacteria in his tract.

good luck
    beckles

Christy - keep telling yourslef that you are doing your best. Dont let yourself get down, everything you are doing is spot on, and I'll just suggest one more option.
    Relax a little. Please. I know everything seems like its against you at the moment, but relaxation is one of the best thing for you to get your supply up and going again. Everytime you feed Jovie, have a look at your body position. Are you comfy, are your shoulders relaxed, have you got 30mins to let her do her thing, and have you had your glass of water with each feed.
    Take a deep breath and know that you can get through this. Take a few days off from the racing around, let Christmas happen without you trying to plan, and just chill.
    What makes you think your milk supply is dwindling? Maybe its just settling down?
    You can do this - know that its all going to be OK, the hurdles will slowly be removed one by one, and in a few months you will look back and feel proud of what you have done.
    You're doing a great job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast