Thread: B/F and an operation

Default B/F and an operation

Hi ladies,
    My girlfriend needs to have surgery and have and is still breast feeding her little 3 month old boy.
    So my question is how long after an anestheic (sp?) can she b/f (this is without pain relief and anti')?
    Thanks so much ladies,
    Luv Dan.

Hi,
    The good news is that this should cause very little interruption to your friend's feeding. As we know, even women who have a c-section under a general can breastfeed as soon as they wake up (It's encouraged) and they can have the pain relief and other medications that they need to get them well. The same is the case for your friend. Tell her to just let her dr and anaesthetist that she is breastfeeding and they will choose the best drugs for her. Occasionally (sadly) you do hear a dr come back with unhelpful and erroneous information - such as you must pump and dump for x hours. Make sure you word her up to use that fabulous question *why?* If she has further questions, a call to a drug information line such as the one Rodney Whyte runs at the Monash medical centre would be worthwhile.
    Regards
    Barb

I had surgery when Riley was 4 months old, my anesthetist told me it was safe to bf straight after and I did and we had no hassles. Most of the anesthetic is breathed in so not passed on to the baby. I know some hospitals used to say to express the 1st feed after the op then throw it away but I had no problems at all, Riley wasn't even sleepy afterwards and I fed him as soon as I got out of the op. If she has any questions feel free to PM me.

Hi there!!

I had to have surgery not long ago (Aiden was only 4 weeks old) and I expressed a few bottles for Aiden when I couldn't feed him so my DH could do it for me!. I gave him a big feed just before I went under, then when I woke up I expressed and chucked the milk away and then I fed him and he was fine

The doctor reassured me that he would be ok, and to remember that some women need to have an anthestic for a C-section.. From memory the doc said that they can use a gentler form of anthestic because I was BF...

Wishing you friend GL for their surgery and bubs will be fine
    xxxx

Dan - anethetists also try to pump sufficient fluid into them when they're under (more than they would a non-breastfeeding person) so their milk supply isn't affected. For example, a person might have a minor op where no fluids are used or only whilst they are under, the BFing mother usually has that bag up until it has run through. I've yet to meet an anethetist who wasn't BFing friendly and did everything possible to ensure the Mother's supply and the feeding were uninterrupted.

HTH

MG

Thank you all so much or your replies and your well wishes for my friend (we really need all of them we can get ). But with the news that she can b/f her son with no problems will be awesome and will love this news.

I have to say my anesthetist was brilliant, he was so understanding about the BF and I had the fluids too now that I think abut it. Rilaaey asasssss w sorry i h5arve 33333333333333333333333333333 a small helper lolsxxxxxxxxxxxx11x be back later z

Dear Nurse Dan,
    I hope it went well for your friend.

Boy, have the times changed! When I read this question I was all set to type in my answer, but then I read what everybody else wrote. So, going back to the Stone Age (1996!) I was told to wait for 24 hours! Pumping and dumping. I'm glad to hear they've improved techniques since then!!!