Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Breast Feeding AND Formula Feeding

Melinda Guest

*sticks head around the corner*

Hey everyone!

I have a question for you all. Forgive me if this is something that has already been discussed, as I haven't checked every post in this thread.

I'm wondering.....have any of you done a combination of BF and FF from birth? If so, what was the hospitals opinion on this - was it encouraged or frowned upon? Did any of you decide to do this from the very beginning (i.e. decide prior to birth), or was it something that just happened during your hospital stay or shortly after IYKWIM? Did your baby have any problems WRT to nipple/teat confusion as a result?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested to see if anyone has been in this position and how they got on??

Hey Mel, I know Deb has been through this, in fact I think they did it?? Anyway I am sure that she'll give you more info.

Wow...thank you SO much for this thread ladies. As a soon to be mother, I've been trying to stay open-minded about breastfeeding vs bottlefeeding. Strangely it had never occurred to me that I might be able to combine both.

I'm hoping to breast feed of course, but I also feel very strongly about DH taking one of the night feeds (which thankfully he is happy to do) and bonding with his daughter.

This thread has definately got me thinking....now I'm hoping to use the breastfeeding throughout the day and formula feed right before bed (in the evening - say 10pm feed). I've heard in many places including BB the benefits sleepwise for bubs who are formula fed at night.

I also think that introducing a combination of both breast & bottle early might possibly avoid any issues later with trying to introduce the formula feed if for some reason I am unable to continue breastfeeding.

Mel, my experience with comp feeding with Olivia as a newborn is hospital was this:

Olivia had a very low body temp, and was a very sleepy newborn, spending a lot of time under the toaster in the special care nursery for the first 3 days of her little life. As such, she had no idea what to do with the boob and it took us 3 days to get any tyoe of attachement happening. As you know, I was pretty bloody determined to BF, so I persevered with her, but I had to hand express colostrum and then BM to help my milk come in. She was formula fed through the gavage (the mix was about 10ml of fomula mixed with whatever I had expressed, fed through the nose).

Andrew was horrified at this and suggested we bottle feed, but the midwives were REALLY determined not to let a bottle or teat near her!!!!! To the point where they told him "there are no bottles or teats sterilised" to put him off!! LOL!

I was OK in my head with them being so anti bottle/formula, because I knew in my heart Olivia would get the hang of the boob eventually.

My lovely midwife Jane told me afterwards (once Olivia has established breastfeeding really well) that they pretty much do anything to avoid FF/Bottles in the early days, as it is such a crucial time for the BM, and if they let tired emotional mothers "give in" to the bottle, sometimes the mothers are regretful.

However, she did say that if a new Mum had made the choice to comp feed or to FF from birth, they fully supported that. But that sometimes in the haze of tiredness and pain of the first few days after the birth, women can make the "wrong" decision for themselves, which they then regret, hence the midwives make it really tough to get hold of bottles!!

This was just my experience in Darwin. Looking back, I am glad they were this determined on my behalf, because Olivia then went on to BF really well for 6 months........

My milk was delayed coming through due to me having pre-eclampsia AFTER the birth! Dylan was losing too much weight so they gave him formula at night in the hospital. We have given him one also on each of the 2 night he's been home and it seems to settle him nicely. Don't know if we'll continue to do it now my milk is in properly, but it's great to feel comfortable about doing it if we decide to!

Thanks so much for this thread!!

Debbie Lee Guest

I second what Shannon said. Definitely build your supply up before introducing a comp feed. It's a hard slog but it's well worth it in the long run.
    I also want to stress that a formula feed before bed does not guarantee a sleep-through straight away. Newborns are soooooo windy and still require feeding over night. I think Gabby was about 8 weeks (can't remember) before she slept longer than 5-6 hours. Even then, it wasn't consistent.
    It's like anything tho, you need to persevere and it will work out in the long run.

Debbie Lee Guest

How is everyone going?

Debbie Lee Guest

Well, if she was gonna choose one, best that she chose the bb, hey?
    Gosh I miss BFing sooooo much It's almost making me want to have another baby sooner...... naaaah!

Debbie Lee Guest

Woo hoo! Congratulations!

I am going through dramas at the moment: emotional ones and physical ones. Charlie has no preference for either boobs or bottle: he is so placid and will happily take either.

But I have, yet again, a case of nipple thrush and a cracked nipple on my right boob, so it is killing me to BF at the moment.

And becasue Charlie is so happy with the bottle, on the one hand I think maybe I should just give up the BF and go with bottle becasue then I can get my body back.

He is 5 months old, & we'll be starting him on solids in a month, so it will make no odds anyway.

But then I know I will miss the BF, and maybe I should just persevere for at least another month?

But then he may have changed his mind, and it might not be as easy to wean him.

He is sleeping through every single night from 7pm to at least 7am, so it is not like the convenience of BF is winning over.

So I am in a quandry........and there is no easy or right answer.....I don't really even expect any responses, I am just writing it all down to try & get it straight in my head!!!!

PS I also have a noice case of mouth trush. Revolting. SO I have it in my gob and on my nips, but not, luckily, up my hooha. Thank god.

be nice to have my body back.....
    Aint that the truth.

I asked Andrew what he thought, and typical non-committal bloke, he just said "Whatever makes you happiest my love". BUT, this morning, first thing, he said "Just think, when Charlie is off the boob, your boobs go back to being my funbags instead of udders"!!!

PMSL!

aahhh yes, nothing as erotic as sitting there slumped over on the couch anywhere between 2-5 am with one or both boobs hanging out ...

You don't have to give up breastfeeding 'cold turkey' - I'm sure I used to still BF Cait in the morning even though she had bottles and solids during the day.

I think I was more sniffly when I stopped giving her a bottle and she used a cup full time.

Alex had 100ml of formula on Monday night when I was out - I bought a new breast pump, but I've been a bit lazy with it :-/

Barb.

Debbie Lee Guest

OMG Lucy! I can't believe Andrew refers to your boobs as "funbags" too! That's Neil's name for my boobs!! PMSL! What a crack-up.
    I must admit, the nicest thing about giving up the BFing was feeling half human again. Wearing normal bras is wonderful (my big pendulums never really liked the maternity bras).
    Neil is FAR more affectionate now too! It was almost like he was afraid of me when I was BFing (though he vehmently denies that!).
    Ouchies @ the thrush. I've never had it (let alone in my mouth aswell) so you can tell me to shove-off... but, do you reckon you could get Charlie to 6 months then revise it? I only say this because I think it was the best thing I ever did to at least get to that 6 month mark. Maybe it's just something in my head (it's a very odd place to be, LOL) but it just felt like such a milestone. I guess, too, Gab just seemed more "ready". I'm probably just talking about my arse here tho.... LOL
    Anyway... hope you can come to a decision that you feel comfy with. Either way, you've done a magnificent job... and YAY @ having such a placid and cruisey baby!

Shannon - uno how the docs were saying that because Jess didn't have thrush, it meant you didn't have it? I always wondered... we get told how magical BM is (uno.. it's ability to help bub's immune system, clear up conjuctivitis etc. etc.). What if the BM was what helped Jessalyn to not get thrush? I reckon that would be a good argument! So neeerrrr to the Drs!!

aahhh yes, nothing as erotic as sitting there slumped over on the couch anywhere between 2-5 am with one or both boobs hanging out ...
    LOL Barb... such a good look, isn't it?

Well, I have resisted temptation to just give it all up, and I have done 3 x BF & only one bottle today. My right boob is still a bit sore, but it is better.....thank Christ for that lanolin stuff. My gob is still sore, and it means I don't fancy eating anything at all, cos it hurts, but I have been drinking loads of Jalna drinking yogurt, which is great for BM, but shocking for Charlies poos and he has now got his first case of nappy rash, poor little sprout......arrhhhhgg!

So my next goal is simply to get to New Year.....my pride insists on that, cos Andrew's mum is here over the duration of Christmas and she is passionate about BF, so I don't want her to think I have "given up" IYKWIM? (She is a lovely MIL, but it is more my pride!)

Then I'll review...........so Debbie, you're right....it is all about milestones that you feel comfy with......if I can get to 5 months, then getting to 6 months will seem close, and I kind of think I will be able to make it.

I know what you mean about non-maternity bras........I look lovingly at my nice white lacy sexy non udder bras quite whilstfully....they are there, waiting for me.......along with my clicky heals, my teeny tiny handbags & my fags!!

Debbie Lee Guest

That's great, Lucy! I am glad you are feeling a little better. Not good about Charlie's poos tho! It's always something, hey? Good luck with getting to New Year and then to 6 months.
    What's the bet we'll hear that at 12 months you are still going??

Debbie Lee Guest

Awwww Shannon!! Sorry to hear your nipples are all cracked again. That sux! I hope Jessalyn takes the arvo bottle with no hassles to give you some relief. Ouchies! :hugs:
    LOL... I had a little giggle at breast cancer info. If I am only going to have 2 babies, I have to feed the next one for 12 months to qualify! If that's not inspiration for it to work out better next time, I dunno what is!

Maybe I'll have to bring back the bottle maybe in the afternoon rather than the last feed of the day
    Shannon, I find that is the best time to give a bottle (from my experience with Olivia and Charlie at any rate).......after a big afternoon nap when they are happy but hungry then tend to take it really well, and then it keeps them happy all afternoon/early evening before their bath, then they can have a lovely snuggly long boob feed before bed........

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast