... 21011121314 ...

thread: Breastfeeding Chatter #17

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Hmm little o not sure about that... I know that babies will generally feed more frequently than during normal weather, but it is my understanding that it is more about thirst-quenching, due to the fat content of the milk at the start of a feed being lower than at the end.

That doesn't really make sense - here's some info from the ABA website:
    Breastmilk contains a perfectly balanced ratio of food and water to meet all your baby's needs. It is a living fluid, ever-changing to suit your baby and even in response to the weather! The first milk your baby gets from a full breast has a low fat content and naturally quenches baby's thirst. Once the let-down has occurred, the fat content of the milk gradually increases as the breast softens. This later milk has a creamier appearance and satisfies baby's hunger.*

In hot weather a thirsty baby may want to breastfeed more frequently but for shorter periods. In this way he is getting more low-fat milk and so is satisfying his thirst. If you need to be away from your baby, it is preferable that he has your expressed breastmilk (EBM).
    I'd reckon that because she's feeding more frequently she'd get the right amount of food

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

i don't eat as much, or as many 'heavy' foods when it is hot. Probably babies don't need or want as much food either, but do want the fluids to keep cool.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

If you let her drink when she wants, she'll get what she needs

Jan 2011

Ok thanks for the info OP, that does make sense.

The poor thing has been out of sorts with the weather and teething, so I didn't want her to be hungry too. I shall just have my bb's on stand by ready for her beck and call!!

Oh and if I'm giving her milk, will she need a cup? Or I should be enough right?

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Yep, you are enough. Remember to keep your fluids up too.

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

from what I have read, the first milk is more watery and quenches thirst, then the milk after let down is the creamer and satisfys hunger (gets thicker and creamer as the feed progresses). so what bubs tend to do is feed more often, but less, often they just have a few sucks and come off before letdown (or as letdown) so they are just having lots of little drinks itms. (im sure someone else will have more to add)

Jan 2006

Fat globules get stuck in the ducts and flushed down with successive letdowns, so the fat content increases throughout the feed. That's the only thing that really changes - not the sugar or water content, just the fat content increasing (if that makes sense).
    What we know from research is that regardless of whether your baby has lots of small feeds or fewer larger feeds, they get the same amount of fat in the end. So, if your baby is healthy and going well, you can simply feed them when they ask for it and they will get what they need.

Nov 2010
    Perth, WA

Gratuitous whinge warning!!

Owwwww, my boobs hurt. DS feeding feels like he's rubbing sandpaper on my nipples and they ache all.the.damn.time! How on earth do people survive feeding in the early weeks of pregnancy?

Nov 2011
    Radelaide

Breastfeeding Chatter #17

Oh cranky kitten,

Feeding isn't supposed to hurt, there could be something unusual going on (like his attachment/latch, or maybe thrush or something.) someone here might have a good idea. Or PM Barb (she's a lactation consultant.)

Hugs, and hoping its better soon.

Add leckert on Facebook Follow leckert On Twitter

Mar 2008
    still on the teaching contract roundabout

Cranky kitten - I know the feeling, I only lasted until 9 weeks pg while feeding ds1 still (at least it was just the bedtime feed at that stage and he was over 2)

Jan 2006

Yeah, it does hurt! DS was a lot older when I was pg with DD and I cut his feeds short - he was only feeding quite infrequently, too. By 9-10 weeks he just stopped asking. The IVF drugs cut my supply right out, so there was no milk that whole time!

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

i fed through pregnancy, only one day towards the end that DD decided not to feed but she was back at it the next day. the first tri was the worst for sensitivity, it got better after that. I later had nursing aversion, but that is something different.

hope it eases for you soon.
    Last edited by HotI; January 6th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.

Jan 2011

Oh no you ladies have ruined my dreams! Lol

I had envisioned feeding dd through to the next one being born to minimize my early feeding issues for the next one. Looks like I will have to be prepared for pain regardless ha!

Dec 2007
    Hork-Bajir Valley

Re: Breastfeeding Chatter #17

i was hoping that too little_o!! and now you have me concerned MadB re ivf drigs. is that common to dry up?

Jan 2006

estrogen affects supply. It depends on what kind of cycle you do, where your supply is and your personal biology.
    I did an HRT FET, so lots of estrogen, and DS was only feeding every other day or so, so supply was VERY low to begin with. If you do a stimulated cycle, you'll likely have similar issues, as all those follicles will lift estrogen levels significantly.

Nov 2010
    Perth, WA

Definitely think he's not getting as much - he asked for a drink of water straight after a bf. Ah well, guess we'll play it by ear.

Jan 2011

Cranky kitty: my mum said that when he got pg with my 2nd brother, my eldest brother wasnt interested in her milk anymore. Could it have changed back to colostrum already?

Nov 2011
    Radelaide

Gratuitous whinge warning!!

Owwwww, my boobs hurt. DS feeding feels like he's rubbing sandpaper on my nipples and they ache all.the.damn.time! How on earth do people survive feeding in the early weeks of pregnancy?
    Sorry Cranky Kitten, for some reason my brain read that as early weeks of feeding, and missed seeing the pregnancy bit. I can understand how it would hurt, in first trimester my boobs are super sensitive nobody gets to touch them!

... 21011121314 ...