Thread: Breastfeeding and dieting

Default Breastfeeding and dieting

I've just started the CSIRO diet in an attempt to get back on the straight and narrow and eat healthier (as well as lose some weight). I took the approach suggested and added in the extra 3000kj and have based my meal plans thus at the higher levels rather than the low level but ever since Samuel has stopped sleeping through ie (used to do 7:30pm through 7am with one wake for feed usually between 3-5am), has become extremely gassy, wants a dummy all the time (whether this is to help with the gas it often seems so - but he never used to take dummy), wakes up an hour after going to bed at night sucking like mad - but not hungry as such so will take a dummy and then does this a couple of times during the night (often once has dummy farts profusely). Nothing much seems to have changed in the daytime just night time so I don't know whether my supply is almost gone by the end of the day, or whether the change back to healthier foods eg large amounts of salads and veges which I never used to have, is giving him gas or whether its just a stage, teething, hunger or what???

Trying to remember back to DS1 but my memory is blank - plus they really are so different it probably wouldn't be relevant anyway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

5 months is a common time for a developmental spurt so it could be that but also I am not sure what the CSIRO diet entails and and how that works with breastfeeding.

As long as you are eating enough protein, zinc, b vitamins and drinking plenty of water this should be good with supply - and remember breastfeeding works with supply and demand so the more he feeds the supply will step up. If you are concerned you can contact the ABA or a LC.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

jaspen, from what I've read with the CSIRO diet, it works very well for a breastfeeding woman, so I'd assume it's a growth spurt. I've recently started that diet as well and DD seems a lot more content in between feeds, and she's recently dropped a feed at night.

This is probably not recommended, however, I started the Tony Ferguson diet about 2 months ago and it hasnt affected my milk supply. If anything, I have more milk. I guess its the high protien? I have an 11 month old though, so I dont have as many feeds during the day as you would. Good luck with your dieting though!! I am 35kgs down (since I had bub) and 5 more to go!! Cant wait!

I notice when I eat more veges that Darcy's farts are ATROCIOUS. I bet she could outdo some of the boys, so that could be it too.