thread: Breastfeeding General Chatter #13

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Life Subscriber

    Jul 2006
    Brisbane
    6,683

    Green poo bascially means the poo is moving through the digestive tract more quickly. It is not a problem. One reason this might happen is oversupply, or changing sides before the first breast is finished. It can also happen if baby has a bit of a tummy bug. With no other issues it is not a problem so there is no need to do anything.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Apr 2010
    1,118

    Argh! Theo and I are sick, so he's basically sleeping all day and now I have an ubersore boob ... he falls asleep before he's finished I expressed a bit in the shower (pretty easy - just lean forward and insta-leaking) but nowhere near enough, apparently. My boob size difference is very noticable!

    If I don't get him properly awake by dinner I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to express. Can you take a bath at 2.5 weeks post-birth? Expressing has never been one of my strong points, I rely on my little smelly sucking machines to take care of that for me.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Apr 2010
    1,118

    DD#2 got her doctor's kit, poked the sore booby with several plastic medical instruments and declared me 'all better'.

    And then I suddenly come down with a roaring fever ... I don't think its booby related though, but it will completely mask any issues. I was sitting in front of the heater in a toasty warm room shivering (with toddler on lap of course) but its probably the flu, I have a headache, sore throat, cough, sniff and several sets of sore joints now too on top of the sore boob. Fun fun fun. 2 panadol made me feel somewhat less crap. I can see why Theo is so reluctant to wake up.

    What is it with illnesses that just sneak up on you and whack you over the head?

  4. #4
    Life Subscriber

    Jul 2006
    Brisbane
    6,683

    Hun, that sounds like mastitis. Please go and see a doctor ASAP. Also keep feeding from and if need be expressing from that breast frequently. You can definitely express in a warm bath if you like.

    It might also be helpful to call the ABA helpline on 1800 mum 2 mum (1800 686 2 686) for some other ideas on clearing any lumps and preventing this from happening again. The doctor can give you antibiotics for the infection, but you still need to clear any blockages.

    Best of luck hun I hope you feel better really soon. If it is mastitis, antibiotics kick in pretty quickly (if they are the right ones!).

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Apr 2010
    1,118

    Much better this morning, although we're still both snotty as.

    I think I know what the problem is - I think I slept funny feeding bubs that night with a bra too small and half open and pinched across all the ducts under one boob. I've swapped to a bigger, softer bra today (yay for old 10h or 10i bras ... or whatever it works out to in Australian sizes). I massaged under there in the bath, boob is still sore but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. It had no lumps and wasn't hot or red localised, but if it *had* got infected and gave me a fever I wouldn't have been able to tell because I already had a fever from being sick

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    2,037

    So I'm aware BF bubs can go quite a few days without bowel movements. We're on day 5 now without a soiled nappy, the longest she's ever gone is 24hrs prior to this. We've only just started BLS last week so naturally she's eaten very little, still drinking like normal and seems happy. She's a little squirmy when feeding over the last day or two, and is passing the most shocking smelling wind. I mean bad. Not just when feeding. She almost propelled herself round the bath tub last night lol I'm guessing this is because she is getting a bit of a back log? Is it normal to be so smelly when passing wind? I'm dreading the soiled nappy when it comes.....

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Add Sterla on Facebook

    Jun 2008
    Tasmania
    3,011

    Yup, totally normal to go a while without bowel movements. My DS went 6 days between them for a while there, but I've heard of much longer. When he finally went there was SO much!!!

    AFM: I had actually been wondering about this thread recently... whether it was still going! I thought maybe a new thread had been started and I'd missed it, but no - just very quiet! I am still feeding my 19 month old DS, and still feeding a fair bit - 3 or more times a day usually, it's pretty unpredictable though. I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that DS could wean when my milk changes while I'm pregnant... will just have to deal with it when/if it happens.

  8. #8
    Tel Guest

    Hi Ladies - I'm new to this group :-)

    I already have a gorgeous little boy who's know 16 months old and sadly I couldn't BF him...he attached well etc, but Mummy had NO MILK! I used to sit there for 2-3hrs and get no more than 40ml. Needless to say he was FF, but that's fine with me, he's a healthy happy little boy and that's the main thing!

    I'm now pregnant with #2 and really keen to give BF another go - but I want to do everything I can to increase my chances of getting a decent amount of milk. So any suggestions?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Add leckert on Facebook Follow leckert On Twitter

    Mar 2008
    still on the teaching contract roundabout
    1,952

    Hi Ladies - I'm new to this group :-)

    I already have a gorgeous little boy who's know 16 months old and sadly I couldn't BF him...he attached well etc, but Mummy had NO MILK! I used to sit there for 2-3hrs and get no more than 40ml. Needless to say he was FF, but that's fine with me, he's a healthy happy little boy and that's the main thing!

    I'm now pregnant with #2 and really keen to give BF another go - but I want to do everything I can to increase my chances of getting a decent amount of milk. So any suggestions?
    Suggestion #1 - get in touch with the ABA - see if you can do one of their BF courses

    suggestion #2 - look into hiring a lactation consultant

    (sorry for the short post - currently expressing for DS and I'm not so good typing one handed
    PS you're only supposed to have 1 ticker)

  10. #10
    Registered User

    Jul 2009
    2,109

    Hi Tel, wow - you are so organised Your ticker says 7 weeks pregnant and you are already thinking about the whole BFing thing. Good on you! In no way do I pretend to be an expert at this but from what I have read, the amount of milk you can express has no reflection on the milk you are able to supply for your baby. I believe it is about building supply in the early days and establishing a good supply from the get go. This means lots of feeding with your newborn. I second the idea to contact the ABA, there is lots of good advice available. Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy

    How is everyone else going? I am still breastfeeding and DD is showing no signs of cutting back on her milk despite starting solids - baby led style. She did go on a BFing strike and would only take EBM from the bottle but that only lasted about 4 or 5 days and she's back with a vengance. Her feeds are taking longer than ever and she is feeding alot too. I figure she knows what she is doing so just letting her go with whatever works. With the holidays coming up, I am looking forward to exclusively BFing her and not having to express. Woot Woot

  11. #11
    Tel Guest

    Thanks ladies :-) Will get in touch with them for sure!

    OH and thanks about the ticker...will go fix it now!

  12. #12
    Registered User

    Oct 2006
    Perth
    3,299

    Hi tel, welcome to BB! I would put bubs to the breast as soon as possible after the birth and then every time bubs even glances in your direction, put him/her straight on. Lots of sucking and skin to skin straight up will get the hormones flowing and help to bring your milk in. You might find also that being your second, your milk will come in quicker this time. Definitely speak to the ABA and an LC as soon as you feel you need some help even if it is just to check your attachment.

    As for us, we are going well. DD will be one on New Years Day and I am so happy that we still breastfeeding She is feeding 4-5 times during the day and once or twice overnight. Still no sign of AF either! I am loving it. Apart from the lack of weight gain issues at the 3-6 month mark, this has been relatively easy. With DS I was taking it day by day and this time with DD, it doesn't look like our breastfeeding relationship is going to end any time soon