I'm 9.5 weeks pregnant and still breastfeeding both my 7.5 month old and my 2 year old. My 2 year old is only getting my babies "left overs" now though as I feed him after she has fed. I also fed my toddler during my baby's pregnancy. I take Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding capsules and I'm starting to take Vit D capsules again as last pregnancy I was deficient so my Ob is assuming I probably will be again.
If you talk to your Ob about it, just be aware that they will probably advise weaning. Their priority has to be the bub in your tummy and even though the risk to the baby is small, there is still a risk and they have to put the interests of tummy bub first. After 12 weeks of pregnancy your uterus starts to make the receptors that recognise oxytocin and can cause the uterus to contract. As you make oxytocin when you breastfeed the risk is that you can cause a miscarriage or early onset labour. I personally take the risk because I figure that everytime I hold my children, or look at them, or hug them (or even hubby, lol) I am making oxytocin anyway. But I understand an Ob's position in what their recommendation is.
Also, just so you know and it doesn't come as a surprise, you'll probably find that at some point breastfeeding can become excruciating. I had it for a couple of months last pregnancy until it finally abated and didn't hurt anymore. Your supply may drop as well. My supply has already started decreasing but there is still plenty at this stage for my baby (and a little for my 2 year old). Toward the end of the last pregnancy though I think my toddler was not even getting milk anymore, and just a little colostrum. He seemed content with it though. My advice if you have plenty of milk right now, would be to express when you are able and keep it stored int he freezer in case you supply suffers, that way you can supplement with your own milk later in the pregnancy and hopefully if you want to tandem feed then both bub's will be happy once the new milk supply comes in
Bookmarks