Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding when pregnant Chatter Thread

I know the feeling Arcadia, and it's really hard! In my first trimester when I felt sick all the time I was very much over feeding DS, especially feeding to sleep as it just seemed to take forever. I also understand wanting to find a new method of getting your DD to sleep, we're going through that here at the moment too - the only thing that seems to work is having DS lie in bed with me in the dark (so we have to wait till at leas 8.30pm), and then he proceeds to wriggle fro half an hour to an hour before falling asleep... and I'm still the one who has to do it, cause if DH tries DS gets off the bed saying "Mimi" (mummy) and comes out looking for me .

So I don't really have any advice to offer sorry, but lots of sympathy . I guess it's a matter of asking yourself whether you can handle another couple of months, or whether you'll regret stopping before your goal in the future? Tough one I know!

And as for moving your DD out of your bed - well, we have more recently had DS move into our bed, and I have a feeling he'll stay there at least part of the night for a long time. It's the best way to get a full night's sleep! And really, when you have a little baby as well, that's what you're going to want the most!

AFM: Well, we haven't weaned, yet - but things have changed. For one, I'm pretty sure I have almost no milk left. When I try to hand express, it takes ages for anything to come out, and the most I can get is a drop or two. Plus, the way it feels when DS feeds feels different - like he's sucking harder but not really getting anything. I think maybe my supply has basically gone, which is why DS completely went off booby for a couple of days, but now he's decided comfort sucking is okay. He has started asking for it again, and occassionally he'll let me feed him to sleep, but at the same time sometimes he just flat out refuses me and gets upset if I try.

How is everyone else doing? Heaven? Shanti?

Hi ladies, I just discovered this thread! I'm 27 weeks pregnant and my almost-18 month old DS is still breastfeeding. I was one of the lucky people that never had any problems breastfeeding. I didn't realise how lucky I was until I talked to the other mum's at mother's group and playgroup and realised how many mum's have major problems with breastfeeding. I must admit I was surprised how many of them gave up really early on and I wonder if it was lack of support, but then I feel a little guilty for thinking like that because I really don't know what they went through before making the decision to give up...

Anyway, we even managed to go through two IVF cycles with no problems with breastfeeding. DS was still having 10-12 feeds in a 24 hour period and showed no signs of slowing. After I fell pregnant was when things got tough. My milk supply dropped dramatically very quickly no matter what I did to try to boost it. Lucky DS has taken it mostly in his stride and now feeds 2-3 times in a 24 hour period. I really don't think he gets much, but he still loves his "mama-milk" and grins like a fool when I ask him if he wants "mama-milk" lol!

A huge problem for me was how painful my nipples got. They hurt so bad when DS would first get on that I would literally have to hold my breath and just cringe through it. It's even brought me to tears a few times it was so bad (particularly on the left side). It's eased a bit now and hopefully will continue to get better as time goes on. There has never been any damage to the nipples or anything like that, just the intense sensitivity caused by pregnancy.

I also think that my milk has changed from just milk, to mostly colostrum. DS still wants it, but he suckles for about 1-2 minutes per side now most of the time (although it's often a bit longer in the night because he's sleepy and I think he likes the comfort of it).

Hi ladies, i can't really join the group anymore as i'm no longer breastfeeding but i was when i fell pregnant.

I had quite a few questions at the time and started a few threads to get my answers but would have loved to have a little group like you guys to talk to back then.

I fell pregnant when DS2 was 12 months old and it was quite the surprise. I had no symptoms at all until i finally realised that AF was late. Probably because i was so busy and still feeding. I was hoping to bf DS2 until 2ish so i did feel quite guilty falling pregnant knowing what that would mean to him (does that make sense)?? But i continued to bf and even considered tandom feeding for some time there.

I think we made it til about 14-15 months of continuing to feed DS2. He still seemed very interested and in this time and i was more than happy to do it for him. After a little while it did get to seem like a little bit of a chore because i was getting so tired and he was still waking for a night feed (just out of habit i'm sure). One day he decided to bite me instead of feed. As to if it was to do with low supply or change in taste i don't know but it HURT a lot. I very hesitantly gave him a few more chances which still resulted in bites so that was it for our day feeds. I just cut them out completely and he didn't really seem to care. I continued to feed him when he woke at night for a little longer but it was beginning to hurt me, i would feel quite a bit of pain when he latched on and i'd be cringing anticipating him latching on. So the time came when i decided it was time to cut out the night feed also. Within only a couple of nights re-settling without a feed he was soon sleeping through.

I think i am happy with the way things turned out, it wasn't what i expected but i think it was for the best. So i made it to 13 months with DS1, 15 months with DS2 and we'll see how far we can go with out little one due in Dec.

I wish you all the best for your journey through breastfeeding while pregnant and maybe even beyond

MyBoys - well done on feeding your DS for as long as you did, great effort

Arcadia - I do understand in a way, how you're feeling. I'm finding feeding DD to be very uncomfortable most of the time, and bc she is still only feeding on my R side that nipple cops it! She is only down to 2-3 feeds a day now. Morning, midday sleep time, and bed time at night. Today, she missed her lunch feed as we were out but she doesn't ask for it much. I too, would love to make it to 2yrs of age feeding her but at this stage, I really feel DD is starting to wean (shorter feeds, her sucking has changed, no big gulps anymore) and it's mainly because I'm pregnant and my milk has dropped dramatically!! I really don't feel there is much milk left and when I hand express , like Sterla, I don't get much and it hurts so I can't try for long. I feel sad about it but I also feel happy too because I look how far I've come and feeding DD for 21 mths already!!!!! That's more than SO many kids ever get. AND we had a horrific stressful start to breastfeeding and it took 4mths to get it established!!!!!
    Before falling pregnant DD would ask for 'be-bay' ALOT and it was really tiring me out but as soon as I fell pg, she did drop it down and I don't ask her anymore "want booby?" I don't encourage her feeding iykwim? I just let her ask me. She only ever asks 3 times a day anyway, at those times we feed. So it has worked out well.
    Sometimes when DD is feeding, I too, feel like I just want my nipple back and will take her off and she's usually ok with that and doesn't argue! She just jumps off my lap and says "bye bye be-bay" ! So I know she didn't 'need' it as such.... kwim?

Sterla - Nice to hear from you too! Your DS is the same as our DD, at night time she won't settle for DH, only me! Otherwise she comes out looking for me saying "mummy" calling out.... so I always lie with her to get her to sleep. We have done this for months anyway. DH is trying so hard to help me out by getting her to sleep with him at night so I can have a break in preparation for the newborn's arrival but she just won't have a bar of it yet!!

We recently bought DD a king sized single bed and new doona and matching sheet set (so pretty!) and she loves it. It's in her room down the end of the hall. The last few weeks she's been having her day naps in it and loves it. So last week, we introduced 'night sleeps' in there and we lie with her to get her to sleep (I feed her) and she goes to sleep then I leave the room and she will sleep in there until she wakes and then we come and get her and she comes into bed with us. It's working great!! And now I get to sleep next to DH for half the night!!!! Instead of DD in our bed all night. She slept til 4am the other night in there all by herself!!!!! we were very proud. Baby steps....

Mylitta - great to hear from you too!

I've been SO nauseous with this pregnancy since 5 weeks, it's just starting to ease up now and I haven't vomited since last Friday!! So things are looking up..... I can't believe how sick I was!!

Sterla- I have found DD doesn't ask for 'boo boo' much anymore either. I think it's bc of the decrease in milk aswell. But she still will have it when ever she has a nap and goes to bed at night to go to sleep and usually asks when she wakes up in the morning too. But before I was pg she would ask all the time whenever I sat down! I was thinking she might wean but it seems she just wanted less feeds and doesn't look like giving up on them. So maybe he's just changing but will keep feeding? I haven't been able to squeeze a drop out for ages either! And I can't hear any gulping from DD but she feeds for usually 10 mins or more so I just figure she wouldn't be sticking around that long if there wasn't anything there so she must be getting something.

Arcadia- it's hard sometimes, especially when it hurts!! I was reading 'Adventures in Tandem Nursing' the other day and they had a whole section on what they called 'breastfeeding agitation' which sounds exactly like what you described and is a very common feeling! My goal is 2 years too but this baby is due around the exact time DD turns two so I don't really know what will happen. Not sure if tandem nursing is a good idea or if I should encourage weaning. But I don't think I could wean her, I really want her to do it on her own. Ugh, really I have no idea what will happen! I think I'd like her to be down to 1 feed a day by then bc I know how much I will have to feed the new baby! But that also means finding another way to get her to sleep, hmm...

Mylitta- Congrats on still feeding! And through IVF too, that's awesome!! I've read posts about not being allowed to do IVF when still feeding, that is so great that you could!! When do u think you started getting colostrum?

myboys- Thank you for coming in and sharing your experience with us! And well done!!

Shanti- Woot, good to hear on the sleep! As you know DD has her naps in her bed in her room aswell but we haven't tried at night yet. And it's not because of her, but me!!! I'm not ready! lol. How crazy does that sound? She's 20 months! But I can't imagine not being able to hear her breathing when I wake up in the night and knowing she's right there and ok, lol. I'm paranoid, I know. But I will have to move her before the new baby I guess For her sake, so her sleep isn't disturbed. Sounds like your DD is going really well with it. So how did you feel? How was the first night??

Well, I have just had a revelation thanks to Mylitta! I was thinking DD might have a bit of an upset tummy the last week because her poo has not been solid, gross!! It has been ok yesterday and today though. And then you were talking about colostrum and I remember reading about people who tandem fed and it had effected their older child's poop! lol. So I just tried to squeeze some milk out which I can't normally do anymore and straight away clear liquid came out of both sides. Hmm...is it colostrum? I remember it being a yellowy colour. DD either doesn't seem to have noticed the change or likes it.

Heaven, that's the exact same change I have noticed. When I try to express anything I tend to get a couple of drops that are milky white, but the rest is a clear fluid. My colostrum always started clear and then after Kyson was born it went a more opaque yellow color. I've read that it can vary in color heaps from clear, to yellow, to even greenish! Gosh I'm glad mine isn't green hehe. And now that you've mentioned it, you've made me realise that maybe Kyson's recently reddish bottom is due to the milk change. I've been wondering if there are more teeth coming, but a change in the milk might be the answer. I think the change probably happened about a week or a week and a half ago.

Welcome Mylitta! That's awesome that you're still feeding and your DS is taking the changes in your milk in his stride . I'll have to look out for colostrum in the coming weeks, at least then DS will be getting something!

Myboys: Thanks for sharing your story - well done on b/f for as long as you did!

Shanti: It sounds like your DD is feeding about the same amount as my DS. He asks for it first thing in the morning, sometimes he'll let me feed him to sleep for his day sleep (though we have been conveniently going out places around nap time so he falls asleep in the car recently!), and then before bed, eventually.

***I better go, DS wants to go to bed, but I'll be back later to finish .

I'm back .

Shanti: That's great that you've got your DD in a big girl bed! We have a bed all ready for DS, but haven't tried yet. Maybe I should start with his day sleep sometime soon . Do you have any rails up? The bed we have is fairly low to the ground, but he rolls around so much I bet he'll roll out!
    Glad you're starting to feel better now - first trimester sucks hey!

Heaven: That's another thing here too, I can't hear DS swallowing very often at all, so that's another reason I think I have very little or no milk. I can't believe how suddenly it happened too!
    I really must get a copy of that tandem feeding book from ABA - if DS keeps up feeding, or even if he doesn't (he may decide to make a comeback, lol), I could very well end up tandem feeding, so I should probably prepare myself! Wow, I can't believe you're 24 weeks already!

AFM: DS has started asking for 'boo-boo' again! He's sort of back to the way he was before, though feeding to sleep is still quite hit and miss. He must still love booby though, cause as few times when I've gone to feed him he actually claps his hands and says "yay!", .

My DS doesn't seem to be the jealous type (he doesn't mind if I'm holding another baby), but I was worried about how he would react to a baby breastfeeding. So I recently started breastfeeding a "practice" baby (a cheap doll lol) to see how he would cope. It DID NOT go down well to begin with! He absolutely cracked it when I was feeding the baby even though I only did it for 30 seconds or so. But over the last couple of weeks he's been much more at ease with the situation. During the afternoon I tell him it's time to feed the baby and he'll come to the couch with me. Then he watches or tickles the baby's toes while I feed her. Then we burp the baby (he pats her on the back hehe), then DS tries to give her the dummy, and then we put her to bed (ummm, at the moment it's the top of the couch, but I promise I won't put the real baby there to sleep!). Then it's his turn for "mama-milk". I'm glad I've been practicing so he can get used to it all.

What a great idea Mylitta! I've been planning on getting a baby doll for DS in the lead up to having this bubba, but actually role playing like that is a fantastic idea, must remember it .

Just sneaking in here as not quite ready to announce but am 4 weeks 4 days pregnant and still bf DD twice a day morning and night and just wondering when bf might feel different and if feels different for everyone? At the moment DD seems to not feed for quite as long and is kneading my bb's alot, but has been through phases like this before. I actually tested a couple of days before AF was late because she pointed at my stomach and said "baby" and she has been more clingy and cuddly could this be related to pregnancy.

Welcome wysiwyg, and a big congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

Breastfeeding didn't feel any different for me in those first few weeks, apart from me being grumpy about feeding him to sleep because I felt so sick all the time! What happened with me is that my milk dried up suddenly and unexpectedly! DS suddenly went right off booby, was refusing it a lot. But even though I don't have any milk left, DS still comfort sucks once or twice a day.
    I don't know if I should consider him weaned as he's not getting any milk? He still comfort sucks though, and he may start feeding more when I start getting colostrum, and when the milk comes after bub is born.

How is everyone else going?

Mylitta- eek...green!! Glad I don't have that either! What a good idea about the doll! Love your new ticker pic too, he's so grown up now!

wysiwyg- Congrats!! Nothing felt different for me for a while. I think my milk supply dropped a bit in the first tri but more later and my bbs began to hurt while feeding in second tri. That hasn't gone away unfortunately! How cute is that of your DD! She must have known! That is so cool!

Sterla- I think your DS would still be getting some milk even if you don't think there's any. Remember they are pretty efficient at getting it out. I couldn't squeeze a drop out at all before but she was still feeding like normal. I know my milk supply had gone down because my bbs felt totally deflated all the time but I think she was still getting something even if it wasn't much. And now I have the colostrum I guess so she's getting that.

We're still going along the same. DD is getting her molars now so has actually been feeding a bit more than she was.

Thx Sterla, DD sort of feeds to sleep in evening, mainly is a wind down before sleep so I hope she continues. here is a wave to Mylitta who is a baby buddy from DD (will prob let BB late may 2009 know the news later today after confirmation from doc, but lines very strong).

Hi Ladies,
    I haven't been on BB for a while but since finding out I am pregnant I thought I would come back! I still haven't announced it to the world yet either - Wysiwyg we are probably buddies! I'm due 13th July :-) I have been stalking the group but haven't posted yet..

So I am breastfeeding my 11month old DD maybe 4-5 times in a 24hr period. She also has a bottle of formula at about 6pm, mainly for my own sanity trying to get dinner ready etc. I went to the Dr's today to get my blood results back and he mentioned I should stop breastfeeding because it could cause me to miscarry, especially because I have mc before. I am a bit upset by it because we really arent ready to give up. DD loves the booby so much and I really enjoy feeding her - but at the same time I don't want to loose this bubba.

I guess I'm just after some advice

Welcome ubba82, and congratulations!!!

I haven't ever heard that about breastfeeding causing miscarriage... no idea how true it is or not? Maybe you could ask around and see how true it is?

I did a little bit of googling and some articles say there is no evidence that it causes mc and some says it does, because it causes the uterus to contract. I wonder who else I can get proper info off?

wysiwyg! Congratulations!!! I've sent you a fb message as well, but I'm so super excited for you I had to post here too, hehe. Awww CJ is going to be a big sister! Totally adorable!

Ubba - My obstetrician mentioned that I should wean DS as well when I fell pregnant due to an slightly higher risk of miscarriage or premature labour. We decided that the increased risk was so small, and that the benefits of breastfeeding so great, that we would continue to breastfeed DS. The reason there is an increased risk is because when you breastfeed you produce oxytocin which is the hormone that can stimulate the uterus and cause it to contract. My ob said the risk is actually higher after about 12-14 weeks because your uterus starts getting the receptors that the oxytocin bind to. Having said that, everytime you look at a baby, look at your own child, hug your child, are intimate with your partner etc, you create oxytocin anyway, so breastfeeding is not the only time you make oxytocin. I'm happy that my Ob mentioned it though because at least I know that his number one priority is the safety of the baby in my belly.

wysiwyg - I'm still grinning because of your news! LOL!!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast