Thread: Burping

Default Burping

Hi girls... long time no post! Think this is the right place for this post

My question is about night feeds... I put my DS, now 5 months, in bed at about 7pm - 7.30pm and he will fall asleep on his own. My problem is that I will feed him at 6.30 and try and burp him but he won't burp. He will then wake up 2 hours later, I will pick him up and he will let out a big burp and then go back to sleep... with or without another feed. This then continues basically all night every 2 hours.

Last night he went to bed at 8.00, needed burping at 11.30..... I fed him and he went back to sleep.... he then woke up at 1.30 and needed feeding. Then woke up at 3.30 and needed burping.

I don't know what to do because I have tried for up to half an hour of patting on his back to burp him before I put him in bed, but I can't get him to.

Is there anything I can do... I dont think he's hungry when he's waking, just needs to burp.

Very tired this morning!

That would be very tiring! My only suggestion is can you try alternating how you're burping him? Other ways might bring the wind up that patting on the back can't..... up on/over your shoulder? Rubbing in circles on his back? Sitting him upright on your knee and rocking his trunk back and forward, over your knees...... it's a fine line of waking them up too much with burping attempts too! Hopefully someone else comes along with better suggestions! Good luck

Maybe try a different position to feed him in the hope that he swallows less air in the first place? Experiment with underarm-style holds, or feeding with both of you lying down (put a towel under bub with this one).

i also have this and ive come to learn that like adults they dont always burp after every feed/drink; and sometimes we also just need to burp randomly. yes it is tiring for you i'd imagine; but there probably isnt alot you can do

I agree with human bean. I find rubbing DS's back in an anti- clockwise direction works really well, also sitting him on my knee instead of over my shoulder can help sometimes.

Just try rubbing/ patting/ stroking in different ways and see what works.

Failing that you could try some infants friend. I found that really helped get the wind up.

Good luck

DS would almost never burp on cue, so I gave up trying much. Maybe a different method might work - give it a go - but you might just have to live with it till he figures out how to burp without your help. won't be long probably.
    I wouldn't spend more than 5 minutes trying to burp my DS, because it was just a waste of time. And then he'd just burp randomly some time later

Without wanting to cross Marcellus, 'cause she always gives such awesome advice , but it can take up to 20 mins sometimes to get DS to burp. And when he does it's usually a big one or lots of little ones in quick succession. Seems it just takes a while to work it up sometimes

(yes I still burp my 12 month old lol. Is this wrong? He still seems to need it)

H&Z. They're all different - whatever works for you.

Thanks for all your tips girls..... He's not waking up as much now, but still its very tiring... I'm hoping that this will soon pass!!

Thanks again!