Thread: Crystalised Ginger Question????

kerry Guest

Default Crystalised Ginger Question????

OK I lived off this stuff while pg BUT does anyone know if it is bad for toddlers?

My DD 14mths thinks they are lollies and could quite easily eat a whole packet. My parents have been giving them to her as lollies but I'm just not sure if they are OK.

Any opinions?

Not sure. What are the preservatives used in the processing? There are some used in drying fruit etc that are acutally quite harmful to kids. Maybe you can get some at a health food shop that may not be so bad.

kerry Guest

OMG Sherie I didn't even think of that. I will have to check tonight.

Is it in all dried fruit, or is it possible to get some that doesn't have it?
    Hmm. I thought crystalised ginger was done in sugar?

kerry Guest

Yeah the sugar thing is a concern but she is a tooth brushing nazi so I am not too worried about that atm. I was actually thinking maybe so much raw ginger might be bad for her little body, I hadn't even thought of preservatives.

I have boxes of Sunbeam sultana's and the ingredients are sultanas and vegetable oil.

On the packet of Buderim glace ginger I have in the cupboard it says 'sugar, ginger, preservative (sulphur dioxide) - so I'm not sure if they would use the same process with crystalised ginger or not.

kerry Guest

I just checked my mum's packet of Buderiem and it says Sulphur dioxide!!

OK I'm in trouble now, it may just be coincidence but since DD started having the ginger (2-3 pieces a day) she has been eating again. As some of you will know my DD has had some major non-eating issues of late and still weighs the same (well 100g less) now that she did 10weeks ago when she was 12months. She would go for 3-4 days without eating and then eat normally for a day then pick for a day then it was back to fasting.. since she discovered the ginger (or my parents gave it to her) she has been eating really well. 3 meals a day and snacks!... so if I cut the ginger and she stops eating again then I have to decide weather to give her the ginger and have her eat or not.

Then again it could all just be a coincidence.

Interestingly, on the Buderim Ginger website, you can't find a list of ingredients for their products. If you put 'sulphur dioxide' in their search engine, it comes back with 0 results.

Kerry, I found this recipe for if you want to make your own, that way you know it will be free of any nasties:

Directions for crystallizing ginger or other fruits, peels or centers

• 2 cups sugar
    • 1/2 cup water
    Mix well, cover with lid for the first minute or two of boiling and then remove the lid. This washes down the sugar from the sides. Cook to 223 degrees. Remove from the fire very gently and let it stand quietly until perfectly cold. Place the ginger, etc., to be crystallized in a pan in rows each slightly separated from the other. Pour the cold syrup carefully over the ginger with as little agitation as possible.

When all is covered with this syrup lay a clean dampened cheese cloth gently over the top of the syrup. It will float on top and absorb any crystals which may form there.

Allow this to stand without disturbing for about eight hours, then remove the cheese cloth. Pour all into a large sieve, allowing the syrup to drain off from two to four hours until the pieces are quite dry. They will be found to be covered with a fine white crystal.

I'm not surprised the ginger is linked to her eating better. I have a very slow digestive tract and ginger is one of the greatest natural healers in the digestive area...if it is working don't knock it. Ginger is what the call a warming food as is cinnamon and certain other foods and ithas the effect of keeping the digestive area moving so that you don't get nausea or fullness so much so maybe your daugther is a bit the same and not feeling the hunger normally.
    You can get the organic ginger which will have no sulphur or anything bad for that matter. I get mine from Macro Whole Foods. I am not sure where in Melbourne you are Kerry but there is one in Richmond, Black Rock, Glen Waverley and Brighton (I think). You would also be able to get "better" ginger from a health food store or maybe even try the Darrel Lea crystalized and ginger and see what they use.

kerry Guest

Thanks Mel, I'm in Werribee so Richmond is probably closest, plus I know my way around there.

Sherie - Thanks heaps for the recipie I will definately give that a go.

Jillian - No she has had no sign of allergy and her eczema is fine also. Sulphur allergies are a pain in the bum because there are so many medicines that contain it. At least you know you have the allergy and can keep your eye out for it.

I definately think the ginger is linked to her improved eating. She is eating so well. I often use a bit in cooking anyway so its not like its a new taste to her. She has always been a bit of a funny eater (or more often than not a non-eater) but even as a tiny thing would opt for our curry or chillie over her vegies to the point that I took to adding garlic, ginger, nutmeg, curry or basil (or a mix) to all her food just to get her to eat anything.