Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Breast Pump

Cool Electric Breast Pump

Hey Guys, I have already had a manual pump given to me but am looking into electric (im just soooo lazy)

To hire one from the chemist, its $100 deposit, $25 per week and $50 to buy the insert?

Or I can buy one from the other chemist for $188 for the electric Avent Isis one:eek:

Is $188 cheap for an electric one?

Danni, you'll get very varied responses on which is best (I am convinced that different models suit different boob shapes!!).

My preference is the Madella Mini Electric.......from Target or similar......around $120......

They had that one, which was $120. Doesnt that run on batteries though rather than power?

Either...........I used mine on power all the time.......

Oh wow i didnt know that!! Is there any reason why its called "mini"? Are there any real differences between that and the avent that you know of? (thanks for my million questions!xxx)

Slightly different "mould shape" around the boob........I haev to be honest......I had an Avent manual, and avent electric, & the Madella Mini Electric, tried all 3, Ebayed both the Avent ones..........it REALLY is trial and error......and you can't trial and error till your milk is well established.......annoyingly......

I've been using a Medela mini electric (on mains power) 3 times a day for 3 months, and once a day (every day) for the 6 months before that. I borrowed it from a friend who had used it with 2 children (not sure how often, but she was working a few days a week from about 4 months). So personally I haven't had any complaints with its lifespan - might be different on batteries I guess.

I always used my Madela Mini-Electric on mains power........twice a day for 6 months each baby, plus my GF used it between Olivia and Charlie, no probs at all, and it is still going strong..........I never used it on battery, I used to plug in whilst I sat on teh couch and watch TV with my boobs hanging free........NIOCE!

hmmmmm now im confused!!!

They did tell me at the chemist though that the Medela was only good if you used it twice a day or less. Do they just mean because of the battery power/ Cos like Lucy, I would prefer to use electricity.

I had a medela mini electric, and used it 2-3 times a day for at least the first 8 weeks. It had an AC adapter, so ran off the power.

That said, it was loudish (not wake up the baby loud, but louder than I had expected) I like the medela ones that they had at the hospital, these are the kind you hire from the chemist, and thats what I will be doing next time.

for everyday use I found the manual medela one (I have a symphony) fantastic, and I also was able to express more effectively using this than my mini electric. They have a new model out now which looks pretty good.

Thats a good point.....it is noisy.......like a vibrator but louder......LOL!!

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I always used my Madela Mini-Electric on mains power........twice a day for 6 months each baby, plus my GF used it between Olivia and Charlie, no probs at all, and it is still going strong..........I never used it on battery, I used to plug in whilst I sat on teh couch and watch TV with my boobs hanging free........NIOCE!
    Classy Lucy! But sooooo true! I have giant - shall I say bazookas (lol) and I used to have them hanging out on the pump 3 hourly for 7 weeks! I even took it to the shops with me when I was out for the day!

I lovvveeeedddd my Medela Mini Electric Pump. It was the best $130 I spent with either child! I bought this one initially because it is the pump that is recommended by the ABA.

LOL Relle......DH used to day to me, "Here she is, the sex goddess milking machine".....bless him......even in my most undignified moments he managed to make me feel good!

Way to go DH! My DH used to think if he grabbed them, that was making me feel sexy! NOT!!!!!!

LOL re boobs hanging out... But I dont mind so much at home... but imagine in the special care nursery at the hopsital with mums and dads and nurses all around with your boobs hanging out and a midwife trying to milk your boobs to get 2 or 3 mls of colostrum out!!!! Cos that was me..... Not pretty!!

On the matter of size... has anyone found that one pump or another better for bigger women? I have big boobs too.... but also find that my big fat tummy gets in the way... especially trying to double pump.....

Jennywren, I am big all over, especially in the boobs, and I did find the Medela great although it is not equipped to double pump (I don't think!)

Thanks Relle, I have one of the medala pumps on hire (like used in hospital) and bought the double pumping kit to go with it. I just sometimes feel like the cone bit that goes on the boob might not be big enough.. I havent expressed before now so dont know what to expect. A friend of mine as the Avent Isis manual pump and the cone bits seem bigger....

My SIL (who initially recommended me the Madela) is a big boobed girl, as I am, so I reckon the Madela for big boobs is the go.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast