Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended breastfeeding

Default Extended breastfeeding

A few days ago, Tim asked me if I was going to feed Charlotte after she turned 1, I think I will as I love b/f her, and its up to her as well.
    MY question is, what does your family think about this? Also what did you tell your family, I am asking as most of my family have said that after 12 months they are getting to old to be b/f. I know the WHO says to feed to 2 if you can.
    None of my family has really b/f my mum b/f my youngest brother until he was 8 months but that is the longest.

My DH is fine with the fact that babies can be BF beyond 2yo, although I'm not sure what he'd think if K were still to be BF at 3 LOL... My SIL BF her youngest until he was 2.5 so they didn't think it was unusual at all for K to still be BF after he turned 1. Was a bit of a different story with some of my side of the family though. I was getting comments about K still being BF by the time he was about 10 months. Sometimes I find it frustrating that I have to defend myself all the time but I think in the end it's no one else's business and if you and bub are happy to continue to BF then go for it! Read up on the benefits of extended BF and if anyone questions you then you can give them all the scientific info as to why breastmilk is still wonderful for bubs over 1yo

All the best!
    Last edited by Angel; August 7th, 2007 at 02:06 PM.

I think i will b/f Charlotte until she no longer wants it too, I just don't know what i will say to family, as my mum said today, that she carn't llok after Charlotte as i as still feeding, I have also been told to switch to Forumla as she is not sleeping that well over night, But i refuse to switch to FF as i am able to bf.

i think if you research why it is good to b/f for as long as possible you will be more likely to do it and cope with any 'criticism'. (then perhaps educate)most people dont realise thats its so healthy and the its actually the norm to extend b/f in most of the world....they might be more willing to support you if you let them know the facts.

you could also research 'the truth about formula' for similar reasons..

I am currently feeding my almost 18 month old. I plan to until he weans..
    The only one who ever really comments is my mum who asks at least once a week if I will stop soon LOL..

I had a few neg comments earlier but I thinknow people realise its none of thier darn business how long I feed Jacob for

Just one of your questions? What did we tell our family.. I told them nothing It isnt really any of thier bisuness to be honest. I did ask my DH the other day if he cared I was still feeding and he said no and I said thats good cus you didnt really have a say in it anyays.. ( thats so bad isnt it )

I dont see Sammy stopping any time soon...he is such a booby boy! We have never really talked about it with anyone else. My family has always been supportive. We were breastfed as kids but not for as long. Darrens family didnt breastfeed and have always remarked at how wonderful it is and how little the kids get sick etc etc. I find now I am aware of peoples perceptions and really just keep it to myself. I dont tend to feed when we are out as Sammy tends to be quite busy..though when I have done a few people only look or comment with interest not with judgement.

Jo

I BF my eldest until he self weaned at 8 months, but I was devestated he refused the breast then. My next DS I fed until he was 16mths old,, but was hounded unrelentlessly by family as they all constantly nagged me that he was too old, and that the MIL basically told here daughters to give it up at 9 months,, and that feeding a baby after that was wrong. So they all stopped right on 9 months. DH got sick of the nagging and eventauly gae me an untimatum at 16 months old that I had to stop feeding him, so i did. Not that it was what I wanted or my baby at all.
    My next child had such severe reflux her was hospitalised at 4 weeks old unable to keep anything down, and was put onto AR formula from the doctor, and I was told to stop BFing him altogether,, so that was heartbreaking.

Tehya is still breastfed and she will be 2 next month. Occasionally I get comments form either my family or the IL's but I'm not one to be quiet so usually come back with something smart quiet fast. Adding to it that they should think it's great that I am giving their grandchild a health start to life.

At the end of the day its none of their business. Oh yeah, I have copped the formula or bottle will make her sleep longer too, it doesn't !! She's had a bottle several times in the evening and still wakes up just the same.

Tanya, good to see you back around hun

I totally don't care what my mum and dad think on this issue because they were totally indoctrinated into thinking that formula is the "normal" way to feed babies and their thinking is skewed.

My mum now says, 'If we knew then what we know now, things might have been different' (that's a way of saying she supports BF now she knows better whereas I was bottlefed from birth - which I paid for in years of childhood illness). But my dad - who I have told to crawl back under his rock on this issue - I can - and have - quoted a least a dozen benefits of continued breastfeeding on any instance of comment. Just look up the benefits of breastfeeding on the ABA website. I keep it scientific as he can't argue with fact.

At the end of the day, we will always disagree in some way with our parents over parenting choices. It's up to you whether you feel you have to justify yourself or whether you will just do what you want and let THEM stew.

PS - I B/Fd DD - happily and in public whenever I could - until a week off 18 months - when she self-weaned.

I have desided that we will continue to BF until she weens herself, Have spoken to Tim about it and he is fine about it, I really do enjoy it alot.
    Also Charlotte has slept through the night for the last 2 nights, My ppor boobs carn't handle it at the moment though.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

About not being able to take care of them, what's wrong with expressed milk? I would think that would be more comforting to them too especially while mum isn't there, but her milk is! Luckily my family have been pretty good, my mum fed me until 12 months so she's pretty good. Now having my second they don't bat an eyelid anyway as they know what to expect from me I guess. I think so much of it has to do with how they were fed. It's what they know and are used to, so it must be right
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I breastfed my DD until she was 16 months and got the occasional 'when do you think you'll stop?' type question from my family but it was never in a critical way. My mum never had the opportunity to breastfeed any of us but understood why I wanted to.

We only stopped because I got really ill after my m/c and was in hospital for a while afterwards and it all got a bit much emotionally and physically.

Good luck with it, I hope you have many happy months of b/feeding ahead of you!

Den's family bottle feed by choice from birth so breastfeeding was very alien to them. they used to say alot of stuff when i had my first but don't bother now, although i know they think i am 'weird'. to be honest i get more upset by other mothers telling me they think it's 'disgusting' or no offence but 'it's just wrong'. often they carefully word their replys but really i am offended by what they say. i have infant led weaned with my 2 older boys and oscar will too, so i guess we are in for another couple of years of feeding i just love that it is so healthy for them and why give an inferior substitute when it's on tap and free

Good morning!!
    I am still Bfing my daughter who is 13.5 months and i will feed until she self weans.
    My mum is just so proud that i even got to 3 months, my dad doesnt say much, well my inlwas well thats another story, my father in law thinks there is something sexual in it, mother in law just dosent get it. Girlfriends that havent breastfeed dont really get it either. What is say is thats its no ones business and people learn to keep their big mouth shut.
    I remember being in a parents roon when my daughter was about 10months, i was feeding her and i was sitting oppposite a lady who was feeding with a bottle and the dirty look i was getting, some people bottle feed because they have to, but BF shouldnt be looked down a upon.

Sorry for rambling!!

I dont' know if it's my stubbornness that has put people off saying these things to me yet, but no-one has dared suggest it yet. There was ONE occasion where I let the suggestion go, cos it wasn't quite a suggestion, and it wasn't a condemnation either - DP's elderly aunt, her friend and I were in the room and I fed Oscar. She mused to her friend 'He almost looks to old to be breastfed', and I'm not sure if it's because he was standing up and using that 'engaging' look on his face that makes him seem older, or if it was because he is past 6 months, or if it was just an automatic response. She is not one to tell anyone what they should do and she is the sweetest lady who would be supportive of gentle parenting, so I let it go!

I plan to b/f until he decides to wean... altho having said that.. not sure I'd really like to go past about 2, or 2 1/2. I would LOVE to tandem feed my kids, so I'm hoping he doesn't wean through the next pg.

When people say that it's not necessary to feed after 12 months, I just act dumb and go 'wha?? nah.. it's the best thing for them!' as if it's unheard of to wean them at 12 months. heheh. Breastfeeding is so completely normal and natural, I try to sound shocked that anyone could suggest otherwise

Fee Guest

I would like to BF Cooper past 12 months definitely. Maybe up to 2... I'm not sure yet. I'll just take it as it comes. I really enjoy it. Cooper's never had a drop of formula touch his lips and I am proud of that!

I fed up to 11 months with Yasin and he self-weaned but I've always felt guilty for not encouraging him more to keep BFing.
    I'm hoping to make it to 2 years with Imran. MIL is already making comments about Imran still being BF and SIL told me the other week that only a wiero would feed past a year but that was more a reaction to another woman being all holier than thou about her breastfeeding relationship than a personal comment towards me. I think SIL did fairly well to BF for as long as she did when I consider that she's spent her whole life listening to MIL telling her that she couldn't BF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast