My DH helped me so much with breastfeeding. He cooked for me, brought me drinks, went out to buy chocolate biscuits and sat on the couch with me watching dvds while DS cluster fed! He was in charge of burping, cuddles and silly games. He also gave me a rest by taking the baby out in the sling for a walk while I had a shower or caught up on sleep. He also took charge of the 'morning routine' i.e. changing bub's first nappy of the morning and getting him dressed for the day. That gave me 15 minutes more sleep in the morning and I loved it!! In fact when I look back on the early days I did nothing but feeding and DH did everything else! So definitely hands on dad without having to feed him as well.
I did get a bit of pressure from family to let 'daddy bond' by giving a bottle of ebm. I spent hours pumping, ages sterilising bottles and having them ready and the first time I gave DH the bottle full of ebm he wasn't that fussed with it and I ended up having to feed DS straight after anyway because he was so frustrated with not having the 'real thing' So they both didn't enjoy the experience and it certainly didn't give me a break!!! Which was supposedly the intention!!! We never tried again. DH felt he didn't need to do it and felt sufficiently bonded with DS doing what he said 'Men are supposed to with babies.'
Bookmarks