Hi Amy! Sounds like you could use a bit of help. Do you have access to a lactation consultant at the hospital you birthed at? Or would you be open to calling one in private practice to come and see you?
It sounds like you're having some problems with attachment if your nipples are cracked and sore - definitely not normal and something that needs addressing. A good LC can watch you feed and help you trouble shoot and might be your best bet.
Can you feed lying down in bed to get some more rest? That can work well for some mums. Let us know if you want some pointers on how to do that.
Like Barb says, it is normal for babies to feed very frequently and to want to suck at the breast a lot. Actually, at this point, it's a good thing for him that he's waking up and demanding more milk - it's exactly what he needs - and it's generally quite fine to just keep on feeding through the unsettled periods. It's very hard on you, however, particularly if you're in pain. So your hubby is there helping out now? That's great, I'm sure that must be a big help for you.
Liquidy poo sounds quite normal for a newborn. An LC would be able to give you better advice (being able to actually see the poo).
From time to time, particularly in the next 12 months, there will be periods when he needs you. Just you. And he'll ask for the breast if you're breastfeeding because that's what he's programmed to do. These times pass, though. You may also find that a sling or carrier is helpful and that's something daddy can do, too.
Another option is calling the ABA helpline just for reassurance. I had issues with BFing DS2 and being able to call was a godsend. I also linked in with my local ABA group to meet other people going through BFing and bounce ideas off. Hope tonight is better Amy!
Oh Amy big first babies are tough! (well mine often was anyways) like everyone else has said it doesn't sound 'un-normal'. Do you think he may have been overtired when you gave him that first difficult feed last night? I know that in my experience nb babies especially in the first 2-4wks really can't cope with being awake longer than 5 or 10mins after a good feed and change so if he had already been awake a while maybe just needed to sleep more than keep feeding, even if that's NOT what he thought. If it were me (now probably not with ds1 ) I woulve given him a feed until he stopped, burped and wrapped for a sleep. Then I wouldve started afresh 2-2 1/2hrs later. I honestly wouldn't recommend letting a nb go 4-5hrs between feeds on a regular basis. Yes you need sleep and by all means a slightly longer gap at night is fine if bubbys happy to but its not good for your milk supply, even if you are engorged and have way too much now that can and likely will change very soon. Also its not great for babies (generally) as I touched on before its very easy for baby to just sleep the day away and then realize they are super hungry and just be frustrated and not be able to self settle enough to feed even when that's exactly what they want/need. Try take it easy on yourself I'm sure as much as anyone can be that he's totally fine and normal, its just stressful for everyone at this stage sometimes.
Also have you got some lansinoh for your nipples? If attachment isn't a problem and youre still sore (which is quite normal for now it'll pass) then it truly works wonders on hurting nips!
The only other thing I can think of is that the mw in hospital may be right about the runny poos, if you are really full/engorged it can be really hard for a little baby to latch on properly to feed and even when they do its likely mostly foremilk they will get which for lots of bubs gives painful wind. What I've found works is to express BEFORE feeding- just enough that you're comfortable and soft enough that baby will be able to easily latch on and also have a let down there already. Be a little careful not to pump to long tho or when you feed you'll get a second letdown and create more milk (better than too little but) generally if you're feeding straight away or within about 10mins should be fine.
Hope you're having a better day today and tonight also
I have nothing to add re the poo, but I know where you're coming from regarding the cracked nipples. Mine were just awful by the time I got home - no-one had looked in hospital, but they break down so quickly! (And why do they call them 'cracked'? Mine were just one big open ulcer on each side. Ulcerated nipples. Urghhh!) Normally they heal up quite quickly, too, but only if you're doing all the right things for them.
So get those nipples seen to by an LC asap. You must get your attachment checked, the sooner the better, and you may well benefit from laser treatment from a physio. Hydrogel pads were very helpful and soothing for me, too. Take deep breaths and breathe out slowly and fully as bub attaches (to help you cope with the pain, just like you might have done in labour.)
I managed to get in contact with the Child Health Nurse today and im feeling much better! I explained the situation and she has arranged for a lady to come and see me tomorrow morning to check Quinn over. She said they will weigh him and if he is still putting on weight then the water poo isnt really a problem and should settle, she said if he has lost weight then it could be an issue.
RE: Nipples. Bubs attachment is actually really good. I spoke with a wonderful lactation consultant and midwife at the hospital that showed me how to make sure he had correct attachment and what to watch out for. The reason they are so damaged already is because some idiot midwife at the hospital put the breast pump on and walked away for half an hour without showing us how to turn it off or down! By the time DH got someone to come and turn it off my nipples were already welted and bruised
The Child Health Nurse has given me the number of another lactation consultant in my suburb and im hoping to see her on Friday. She also said to completely rest my left breast for 48 hours and just express off of it to feed him and then feed off the right breast as normal. I expressed about an hour ago and got 100ml just off the left breast!
oh **** at the breastpump! That literally sucks. I hope you can get it healed up quickly. Lots of air and keeping it dry will help. Sounds like your people are springing into action for you - that's great.
Bookmarks