Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping Your Milk Come In

kerry Guest

Default Helping Your Milk Come In

Here is a little recipe my Grandmother gave me. My mum also got given this at the Old Queen Elizabeth Hospital when she was having trouble with my little sister and her milk production. I thought it might be helpful to someone:

Ingredients:

1 cup skim milk powder
    1 cup Activite (Safeway / Wollworths sell this)
    1 litre Milk (full cream was meant but I think you could substitute.)

Method:

Mix all ingredients together in a Blender (or with a bar mix) auntil well combined.

Consumption:

Drink one large glass in the morning then drink as required throught the day. 3 Days should be enough to have your milk flowing like there is no tomorrow.

Apparently it tastes like a chocolate thickshake. Will let you know in a few months. Everyone I know who has used it says it works like a charm.

Hmmm, I wonder if Aktivite is the magic ingredient, or the milk with powered milk in it. I might substitute Milo and Sustagen for the Aktivite cause they are in my pantry already.

Since AF came back this week, my milk's been a little on the lower side. A boost like this could be just what I needed.

Thanks Kerry.

Debbie Lee Guest

I may have to give that a go (re. my post on "needing more encouragement"). It can't hurt! Thanks for sharing it, Kerry

kerry Guest

I think she says activite because of the vitamin and mineral content. Probably sustagen would do the job but not sure on the milo, then again I don't really like milo so I am just biased.

Shannon - It was reading your response to one of my posts elsewhere that reminded me I had meant to post this here ages ago.

OMG - have cut and pasted this one for later this year !

After all the crap I went through last time, it coulda been fixed with a drink that tasted like a chocolate milk shake ????

Thanks a million in advance.

Barb.

Well I've been drinking milk with sustagen in after every feed since 2am, and also expressing from my dud boob two hours after each feed (Blake feeds 4 hourly) since the 2pm feed in hope that it will increase my milk supply. So far so good and Blake managed to feed for his normal length of time on the left side even though I'd expressed 40mls off in between feeds. Hopefully it will help.

Will buy some Aktavite and powdered milk tomorrow (haven't even had a shower or got out of my pj's today. It's been one of those days, but that's another story).

Kerry,

one quick question for the dummies amongst us (me), are you supposed to drink this daily i.e. the combination of 1L milk/1C milk powder/1C Aktavite is one day's serve and you make this up daily or will that quantity keep you going for 3 days?

Sorry to be so thick, but I'd really like to give it a try.

kerry Guest

Wardygirl - Just checked with the source (grandma) on your question and she says that you don't need drink it all in one day and it will keep in the fridge. She recommends you have at least 1 large glass in the am and then at least another through the day, especially in the first 3 days.

My mum said she used to drink the whole first batch in the first day and then her second batch would last for 2 days, she would make a 3rd batch that would be gone after 3-4 days then didn't need to worry about drinking it again.

I really hope it helps.

Kerry, thank you so much for going to the effort and checking with your Grandma on how much to consume.

DH has been rebuilding the PC for the last few days and I've only been online this morning.

I decided that I would just make up a litre of 'wonder drink' a day and consume it daily. I thought it couldn't hurt to have too much and the worst it could do was give me milk which has been my problem.

I don't know whether it's been the 'wonder drink', frequent feeding, 'excessive consumption of water' or starting to take Fenugreek - a herbal capsule which is supposed to increase milk, but this morning I've woken up fuller than I've been for days. I think Blake is going to get a good feed in a couple of minutes.

Thank you again, Kerry. It's been a tough few days with my low milk, so I really appreciate your support. :flower:

Debbie Lee Guest

I've started it today too... here's hoping it works because the fenugreek is making Gabby's wees smell hideous!! LOL

kerry Guest

Wardy girl, thanks for the positive post, I'm going to tell my grandma when I call her and she will be so proud. It probably was a combination of everything you have been trying. I just hope this doesn't lead to many more instructions from grandma to list things that can help everyone. So far she is organising her cure for cradle cap that I haver to find somewhere to post.

I think its great that my 85 year old grandma is so excited about BellyBelly that the first thing she asks about when we talk, besides the baby, is how are all the girls on the "thingy" (computer) going?

You Grandma sounds fabulous, Kerry and it's wonderful that she can share her generations ideas with you and us using our generations technology.

I bought some Lush Soak and Float soap which is supposed to work a treat on cradle cap but it has a really strong scent so it's out in our sun room until I decide to use it. Not really sure if I want to put it on Blake's head, even though it's all natural. I'll look forward to Grandma's solution.

Please give her a big hug for me. (Even if it's only a verbal hug if you think it would be too strange!)

Sounds Interesting. Aktavite actually says on the side of the tin that its good for Pregnant and nursing mothers. Its something I have in my cupboard all the time.

This natural method for boosting milk supply sounds lovely - wish I'd known about it before!

I was prescribed Motilium tablets which made my milk supply go right up.

I am giving this a go as I have trouble expressing any milk at the mo and Erykah seems to need to feed off both breasts unlike before. It tastes yummy!!!

Jo

I'm still making this up on and off. I don't know if it's the drink or not but my milk comes and goes. When it's on the low side I make a batch of drink, and also pop a Fenugreek capsule. Not sure which one does the trick. Psychologically it doesn't matter what's doing it, as long as it's flowing.

Kerry...........tell you Grandma she is a star!

My Granny, who passed away a few years ago, used to give me a lot of her old remedies and when I told her that I shared them with everyone she was so excited that she started telling all her firends that she was "being quoted on that world wide web thing"!!

better grab some activite whilst I am out in a minute, as Indah seems constantly hungry at moment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast