View Poll Results: If your milk didn't come in, would you use a breastmilk bank?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would have no hesitation

37 32.17%
  • No, I would opt for formula

49 42.61%
  • I am not sure / undecided

29 25.22%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had no breastmilk, would you use a breastmilk bank?

Debbie Lee Guest

Well... there you go... my step-sister wouldn't have been able to donate because she smokes (and smoked during pregnancy). Just aswell too... I wouldn't want to accept milk from a smoker!

From the Australian Red Cross website about who can donate blood

A blood donor must be in general good health, weigh between 45kg - 120kg and be between 16 (18 in NT and Tasmania) and 70 years of age. If you are between 16 and 18 years you will also need parental consent, except in the ACT. If you require clarification on your weight, please ask to speak to a Medical Officer when phoning 13 14 95.

Reasons for temporary deferrals

There are many reasons for temporary deferrals, these are some of the more common reasons.

You will be temporary deferred if you:

• are pregnant or breast feeding

• have a cold, flu, sore throat or diarrhoea

• have been taken antibiotics in the last 5 days

• had dental work (fillings/cleaning in the last 24 hours and 1 week for root canal treatment)

Reasons for 12 months deferrals

You will not be able to give blood for a period of 12 months after you:

• had a tattoo

• had a blood transfusion

• had any piercing performed with clean, single use disposable equipment (in which case Plasma only can be used)

• have been in prison or lock up

• had male to male sex

• had sex with a prostitute

• had a partner with hepatitis B or C

Reasons for permanent deferrals

Unfortunately, there are some circumstances that will prevent people from giving blood. You will be permanently deferred if you:

• lived in the UK between 1980-1996 for a cumulative period of 6 months or more
    • are HIV positive
    • injected drugs not prescribed by a doctor or dentist

• have hepatitis B or C
    • had open heart surgery

I think the criteria for donating BM is more involved.

I was thinking monkey Kelly!

In regards to the exclusions, I thought I would be permanently excluded because I have had a blood tansfusion. So you learn something new everyday.

I find it interesting that they exclude male to male sex participants, but never female to female. Why is that? I don't see shy it should be any different.

Debbie Lee Guest

Yeah... I thought it was gorilla sperm or something!! LOL

Fiona - wow... yeah, the requirements and screening process for BM seems far more intensive than for blood!

I guess male to male is differnt because of the penetration that happens with male to male.
    Female to female wouldn't be the same. But I agree why exclude one & not the other.

originally posted by FionaJill
    However, all milk is valuable and we will accept donations from mothers’ breastfeeding infants up to 12 months old. Changes to milk composition after this time mean it may be unsuitable for the adequate nutrition of very ill or premature babies.
    In that instance, could the milk from a lactating mother to a 12 month old, still give her milk, and that milk be then used for another 12 month old? because the reason her milk has changed is due to the changing nutritional needs of her child and would be best suited to another 12 month old?

Quote Originally Posted by FionaJill
    I don't want to start a debate here.

I simply just don't understand this way of thinking. Have you read the website about how the milk is treated before use etc?
    Why does the idea of using another humans milk repulse you, yet the milk of a different species is ok? Like i said I am not wanting a debate or anything to start. I am just baffled.
    Yes Fiona, I have read the website, and even just looking at the pictures made me dry reach. And their doesnt seem to be enough information on there.
    Yes, I do think you are trying to start a debate, other wise you wouldnt continue to be posting on this thread.
    I do not believe that ALL bugs/germs can be killed, and if the Donor of the milk, isnt getting a good balanced diet, then the baby wouldnt be getting all of its nutrients anyway. IMO.
    Good luck to those who intend to use it. Its not for me, and i dont have anything against other mothers wanting to use it for their babies.
    After all WE as MOTHERS have the right to choose how to feed and raise our Children, and shouldnt have to be scrutinized by others for using formula if that is what we choose to do.
    A MOTHER knows what is best for their babies.

I'm sorry if you felt scrutinised Ellyboo, not my intention. I was just giving my opinion on the matter. Not intended to cause a debate, I think we can discuss something like this freely without it turning into a debate. IMO it hasn't yet. FJ is just offering more information and I'm glad for that I would rather be more educated than less, and like me I'm sure there are others out there who may not have read the website.

As I said sorry you feel this way but I can assure you I (and I'm sure others too) don't judge you for choosing formula. I formula fed Paris and I don't hate myself for it. Its what I did at the time and if I had to do it again I wouldn't change that at all.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Ally, I am sorry feel this way, but I am not the only one posting in this thread. I posted the info fromthe website as there was questions being asked on this thread that the answers for are on the website.
    I have obviously offended you & that was not my intention.
    But by no means am I trying to start a debate. So far everyone has put there 2 cents in with out any conflict. It only your post that has the makings of a debate.
    But Obvioulsy you don't agree with the idea of using a milk bank. Like you asid thats your choice, no one is having a go at you for that choice. My post that you quoted was as simple as it appears, I just don't understand that way of thinking.

If my baby was premature I would definitely be in favour of using it, if I didn't/couldn't get any milk of my own. But full term...I know it seems weird but if I couldn't/didn't want to BF I would use formula instead of donor milk. There would be the question of cost too, and the availability of the service. But if one of my sisters or a close friend was BF and had plenty to go around then I would probably use their EBM. I definitely wouldn't want my baby to be breastfed by anyone else though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin
    I'm sorry if you felt scrutinised Ellyboo, not my intention. I was just giving my opinion on the matter. Not intended to cause a debate, I think we can discuss something like this freely without it turning into a debate. IMO it hasn't yet. FJ is just offering more information and I'm glad for that I would rather be more educated than less, and like me I'm sure there are others out there who may not have read the website.

As I said sorry you feel this way but I can assure you I (and I'm sure others too) don't judge you for choosing formula. I formula fed Paris and I don't hate myself for it. Its what I did at the time and if I had to do it again I wouldn't change that at all.

*hugs*
    Cailin
    I wasnt implying that people on here were making me feel scrutinized, that is not the case at all. I was meaning that society in gerneral has a very negative vibe about mothers who bottle feed their babies. In my exp and many other mothers i know who have Formula fed thier babies, have been scruitinized and made to feel like $hit, with nasty sarcastic comments because of it, usually by nurses. I like the idea of Mothers getting good advice about bf, but not have it in their faces all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherie
    In that instance, could the milk from a lactating mother to a 12 month old, still give her milk, and that milk be then used for another 12 month old? because the reason her milk has changed is due to the changing nutritional needs of her child and would be best suited to another 12 month old?

Sherie, I don't see why you couldn't but I think the main aim of the Milk bank is to provide milk for preterm babies.
    I guess the costs involved with setting a milk bank up & the ongoing costs involved would mean they would be limited to what milk they could accept & for what age groups. While I am all for BFing beyond 12 months (still feeding a 2 yr old here) I think the resources for providing BM will probably always be aimed at preterm or sick babies.

Quote Originally Posted by EllyBoo72
    I wasnt implying that people on here were making me feel scrutinized, that is not the case at all. I was meaning that society in gerneral has a very negative vibe about mothers who bottle feed their babies. In my exp and many other mothers i know who have Formula fed thier babies, have been scruitinized and made to feel like $hit, with nasty sarcastic comments because of it, usually by nurses. I like the idea of Mothers getting good advice about bf, but not have it in their faces all the time.
    Ally, the same issue was raised in regards to the artical posted awhile back titled "Suck on this".
    IMO this thread isn't the place to drag up the whole formula feeding mother cop it more then breastfeeding mothers. If you feel you need to add to that topic, track down the thread on that artical I mentioned.
    Last edited by Rouge; August 31st, 2006 at 10:23 AM.

Unfortunately Ellyboo, that is said for both. I have received nasty for both. And in my experience it was the medical staff who pushed formula my way. I was criticised in one hospital because a paed told me i had to go onto formula (and being a first time mum I listened). Then when I was happily breastfeeding my newborn son I was offered formula and laughed at when I proposed the idea of infant led feeding.

No matter what you do you will be criticised, so hold your head high and listen to your heart!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon
    It's very difficult to breastfeed too Ally, damned if you do and damned if you don't as a mother. Half the people think you should FF half think BF. Try breastfeeding beyond 6 months and people start telling you to wean. Try breastfeeding over 12 months and you get weird looks, and out and out critisism. Breastfeed in public and you are crucified. Bottlefeed in public and you are cricified.

I did just notice that your son has the same birthday as Jessalyn!!! How did I miss that, that's amazing!!!
    Shannon, you are right, Damned if you do Damned if you dont. I totally empathise with you too.
    LOL at our bubs, sharing the same birthday! I wonder if they have the same temperament too, being Gemini's!

Fiona, I will post where i feel i need to, thankyou.

aaaanyway... back to the original question. I've been thinking about it..

First reaction: ICK.. no way!
    2nd thought: Think it's a good idea.. but wouldn't trust the screening (thinking about the complications associated with blood etc.. screening just isn't good enough)
    3rd thought: After reading about it being pasteurised etc etc.. I think I probably would consider it.. especially for a premmy.

BUT - I don't know. I'm very wary of it. Yes, we consume treated milk from other species.. but they don't have the same social factors that we do.. they don't carry 'human' diseases, they don't live the unhealthy lifestyles that we do! LOL.

I really don't know what I would do. I certainly would like to think I'd be able to accept it, rather than putting bub on formula.

Ideally it would be nice to see family & community being such a way that we could assist feeding each others babies where there is a need. Of course, that's just not gonna happen So I guess this bank with donated milk from strangers is the closest we're gonna get.

btw.. there'd have to be a LOT of milk donated to feed a baby so many times a day and for how long?? Must admit, I haven't read the article.. only what FJ has quoted.. but does it say anything about a time limit being imposed? Can you access this bank if you want your 2 yr old to still be on breastmilk? I'm just thinking of the supply/demand thing.. can the donations really keep up with demand?

OK.. sorry my post is a bit rambly.. I was typing as thoughts occured to me I will await further thoughts on this matter! Very interesting tho

LOL - ok.. I'm getting sidetracked here.. but.. as some of you know, we make our own handmade soaps.. and some soap recipes use milk. It was brought up on a soap site once about making breastmilk soap. ICK I here you say! LOL. I agree.. but gosh.. some of you sound very pro-human.. would you use it?

If it made my skin feel nice and soft, I wouldn't have a problem using soap made with BM.

Good point you raise about supply v demand for donated milk. You would need to have a lot of mums donating to keep it viable and that there were no shortages. Also, what would the cost of the service be or would for prem babies would it be Gov funded? Price could be a determining factor as to whether Mums use the service or not

I would use breastmilk soap. Sounds like a good idea! LOL When I have this baby I will pass some on to you & you can make me my very own batch of BM soaps!
    Last edited by *Efjay*; August 31st, 2006 at 12:08 PM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast