View Poll Results: If your milk didn't come in, would you use a breastmilk bank?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would have no hesitation

37 32.17%
  • No, I would opt for formula

49 42.61%
  • I am not sure / undecided

29 25.22%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had no breastmilk, would you use a breastmilk bank?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default If you had no breastmilk, would you use a breastmilk bank?

In light of the announcement of the opening of the breastmilk bank in WA, I thought I would run a poll to see who would use a breastmilk bank for their premature baby, should you have no milk. What are your thoughts? Would you prefer formula to someone else's milk? You can read full details of the screening process here: http://wirf.meddent.uwa.edu.au/go/prem-milk-bank

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I think its so brilliant!!! I would have no hesitation at all in using someones else's breast mik. Human milk for a human baby!

Jo

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yep definitely, it's so important and for a premmie it would be such a vital resource.

I am honestly not sure if I would or not. I think they have good intentions, but I can hardly see those in rural areas like myself being able to have access to a milk bank. I do think that it is the best thing for a prem baby though.

I do have a question though - will anyone who utilises the service be getting their milk from the same person everytime, or would it be lucky of the draw sort of thing? Just wondering...

I would without any hestiation.
    My MIL gave up breastfeeding very early with her first child and didn't bother with DH and his brother. After DH was born MIL went to India and left DH behind with her MIL and SIL. Since DH's aunt was breastfeeding at the time she breastfed DH as well instead of giving him formula. BIL and SIL both have allergies and BIL has bad asthma. I sometimes wonder if the reason that DH doesn't have the same health issues as his siblings is beacuse he was the only one that got breastmilk. I geuss its just one of those things you can never know the answer to but it certainly makes me see wet-nursing and milk banks in a very positive light.

Sherie, I think its sad that rural babies wouldn't get the benefits of a milk bank. I'm sure that it could be organised but I geuss that rural health needs to be a priority for the organisation to occur.

I'd like to say yes, but I suppose it would depend on a lot of things, such as the health checks for the mothers expressing the breastmilk - like with blood donors, you'd need a lot of checks and was this done every week/month that the mother was giving the EBM, or just once and you hoped her situation didn't change? With giving blood it's every time, but you only give that every 3-4 months. I'd prefer to give my baby breastmilk, just not breastmilk with HIV in or something like that - I know, it's a bit doomy, but it is a fact and I'm not sure how much I'd trust the screening.

However, if someone I knew couldn't breastfeed and I could, I'd happily express some for them, so I'd happily sign up and donate, just not sure about receiving.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh yeah for sure Ryn, that would be the only way I would do it, if the screening process was extremely well done.

Debbie Lee Guest

I said that I'm not sure but that's because I haven't read the information about the screening process yet, LOL.

I know they do this a lot on the US. My step sister was surprised that we didn't have them when she had her first bub. She had enough milk to feed the 5000 so she probably would have been happy to donate.

ETA: I remember discussing similar things with girls in my MG and antenatal class (including Fi) and some of us decided that we would be happy for friends/family members to provide milk (say if something happened to you and your friend was BFing that you would prefer your baby to feed from them than be given formula... kwim?).

I would for sure, even if my baby wasn't premie. If I could afford it & had access to it then I would use it for a s long as i could. I would also donate if I could, just need for a Milk bank to open in NSW!. I believe the screening process would be just as strict as that for blood. The milk would not always be from the same person I don't think as I am pretty sure the milk is pasturised (sp?) and would say any milk donations would all be done together once it has been checked for any health issues.

Fletch - I can totally understand what your saying about another person bodily fluids but formula is a completly different species! I wonder if you would feel the same way if you could get a "powdered" form of human breastmilk, jsut like you get formula. I am not having a go at you here, so please don't take it that way, just find in interesting & got me thinking if people who had the same thoughts on using milk banks as you could get BM in a powdered form, would they still feel the same way?

Sherie - Thats a good point about having access to the milk. I wonder if all hospitals should keep it in stock, just like donor blood. At least enough stock to use while baby is in hospital & only for your premies KWIM.
    But at the end of the day you need to do what is going to keep your baby alive & well. Sure BM is the best thing for that, but no one would shoot you for not using a milk bank as an option if actually getting to one was not an option KWIM.

FJ, if the milk is pasteurised then how does all the good stuff stay in it? Surely the important proteins would be denatured?

I think I would demand that the health checks were done on every donation if I were to use this for my baby: I'd also demand the milk be stored until the tests had been done.

Also, I'd not be happy taking my baby to a friend's house for a feed: accepting EBM from a friend would be OK, I could still feed my baby, but I couldn't have my baby being actually breastfed by someone else. Don't know if that's what you were suggesting, Debbie, but that's the thought I had on it.

Debbie Lee Guest

I think it depends on how close the friend is, Ryn. I know that someone here on BB had help from their friend when one of her twins was struggling?? I could be wrong... maybe she didn't feed directly from the breast??

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn
    FJ, if the milk is pasteurised then how does all the good stuff stay in it? Surely the important proteins would be denatured?

I think I would demand that the health checks were done on every donation if I were to use this for my baby: I'd also demand the milk be stored until the tests had been done.

Also, I'd not be happy taking my baby to a friend's house for a feed: accepting EBM from a friend would be OK, I could still feed my baby, but I couldn't have my baby being actually breastfed by someone else. Don't know if that's what you were suggesting, Debbie, but that's the thought I had on it.

Have a read of the link that is in Kelly's OP. It explains what happens with the milk & the screening process. Reading the websites info just made me more reassured about using it.

Also I think I would feel the same about my baby being put to anothers breast. I would happily take EMB from a close & trusted friend if needed. But I don't think i would be comfortable with my baby actually at the breast. Only because that is such an special thing between mother & baby & I think I would feel as though "MY" bonding with "MY" baby is being taken away from me KWIM??? If I was dead maybe then that would be ok if say both me & DH were killed & my SIL took the kids & just happened to BFing as well. I think I would be happy for her to my baby to the breast. After all there are alot of benifits for baby that comes from BREASTfeeding. It not all about the actual BM. But I don't plan on being dead anytime soon so..
    Last edited by *Efjay*; August 30th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

It was Yvette Deb, she actually asked me and I was happy to help, but I was sick at the time and sadly couldn't! It was expressed milk, to be fed in a bottle / syringe
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I would definately NOT use it. The very thought of it repulses me.

I would be more than happy to donate milk, but I too am very against feeding my baby someone else's breast milk.

Debbie Lee Guest

Ohhh of course!! LOL
    Thanks for clarifying that, Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by EllyBoo72
    I would definately NOT use it. The very thought of it repulses me.

I don't want to start a debate here.

I simply just don't understand this way of thinking. Have you read the website about how the milk is treated before use etc?
    Why does the idea of using another humans milk repulse you, yet the milk of a different species is ok? Like i said I am not wanting a debate or anything to start. I am just baffled.

In a way, I think it is has all come full circle, because in another era, wet nurses were used a lot by the upper echelons of society to feed their babies because they were either rich enough to pay for one so they didn't have to do it or because they had no choice (I am positive BF has always had its trials and tribulations for every woman in any era). It was also common for those infants whose mothers had died to be given to a wet nurse to feed and quite often was raised as part of her family until weaning age (learnt this from history at school). So we have progressed (or some may say digressed) from using other peoples BM, to formula and other milk replacers to using milk banks again.

Unfortunately, even if the Gov had good intentions of getting a milk bank to rural areas, the attitudes would see it fail because it is just not a concept a lot of people would be comfortable with. I have had a friend who gave her EBM to another friend when their babies were born at the same time and the second mum was having a lot of trouble with BF and this was done in a hospital, but had the friendship not existed, no doubt the baby would have been given formula.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast