Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Make Breastfeeding Compulsory for 6 mths? WDYT?

Default Make Breastfeeding Compulsory for 6 mths? WDYT?

I found this article this morning.

Gisele: mothers should be forced to breastfeed

By Tom Peck

Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Gisele Bundchen said there should be a law preventing mothers using formula.

Gisele Bundchen, the Brazilian supermodel, has called for mothers to be forced to breastfeed for the first six months of their baby's life.

The 30-year-old, who lives in the US, risked controversy by saying there should be a law preventing mothers from using formula milk. Asked about keeping her figure, Ms Bundchen told Harper's Bazaar magazine: "I think breastfeeding really helped. Some people here [in the US] think they don't have to breastfeed, and I think, 'Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?' I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months."

Her comments came after Denise van Outen, the actress, said she gave up breastfeeding her daughter, Betsy, after less than a month because she did not want photographers taking pictures. "I probably should have persevered a bit longer than three weeks," van Outen said last month. "But I can't be sitting in Starbucks and breastfeeding, because the [photographers] are taking pictures."

Ms Bundchen, who is married to the American footballer Tom Brady, had a natural birth at their home in Boston in December after meditating throughout her eight-hour labour. She was modelling swimwear within six weeks of the birth of their first child, Benjamin Rein.

She said she considered daily meditation a necessity in the run-up to giving birth: "It prepared me mentally and physically. It's called 'labour' not 'holiday' for a reason, and I knew that. You want to go into the most intense physical experience of your life unprepared?

"I was ready and I thought 'OK, let's get to work'. I wasn't expecting someone else to get the baby out of me."
    I know it's a silly article but I just thought I'd raise the question.

Should there be a law making BF compulsory for the first 6 mths of a childs life?

I think it would be better if more babies were breastfed for longer, but this would be just about the worst way to go about it

Gee what a way to make you feel even worse if your body didn't actually make milk in the first place........

i can completely understand wanting to encourage breastfeeding & so on. but i just don't agree with legislating it. i think there are many other, more effective ways that they could go about assisting mum's to BF.

it is nice to see a celeb saying something positive about BFing after kim kardashian's efforts recently

Well, my opinion is that she's a moron. What if you CAN'T breastfeed? Would Gisele in her wisdom have you sent to jail? Perhaps she should stick to modelling?

I think Gisele should take herself back to the land of Perfection. What a load of crap! I was fuming when I saw this on Sunrise this morning. Yes, it would be great if the community would encourage breastfeeding and if there was more support but to legistlate it, was she high on the 'I can take on the world' hormones when she made this absurd remark?! This is the same woman that said that her 8 hour labour was completely pain free - maybe she had an epi, who knows.

For someone who really wanted so badly to breastfeed yet struggled so much and went to hell and back trying to do so, a comment like that is a slap in the face. Encouragement and support is what women need. That is the only reason I'm still breastfeeding DD once a day - I had amazing people encourage and support me.

If she'd like to see the rates of PND increase, then this would be a sure way to do just that. Although, given her comments, she probably doesn't believe that PND exists.

Pfft to you Gisele!

Rant over
    Last edited by Taurean; August 3rd, 2010 at 11:07 AM.

Im sorry i have a big issue with her statement!
    I am a pnd survivour, i developed pnd after i had tried for two weeks to bf and discovered when she was 15 days old that i had been starving my dd because i hadnt produced any milk, i was ashamed of my body and became was depressed because it was drilled into me that bf was the best and that i wasnt a good mother if i didnt bf, being my first baby u kinda believe all that u hear, i now know better!
    We bottle fed all 5 babies because my hubby didnt want to put the family through anymore heartache, and i dont regreat my decision.
    To be made a law to bf a baby i think is silly, and i think she needs to pull her celebrity head in, i am envious of thoose that can bf, and i want to try again with my next baby, but for some of us it just isnt an option.

Yes I agree she should stick to looking beautiful rather than making absurd sweeping statements that are simply stupid! What about mothers that can't breastfeed? It may surprise you but if you are like me and have had breast cancer then feeding to 6 months is not a possibility. Does that mean I can't have a child or I would/should be put in jail.

I don't know why I even bothered to reply.....dumb, dumb, dumb....

hmm... so I should be thrown in jail because my milk didn't come in when Sam was born? I should be thrown in jail for being sick enough to have to take scary bad medication just so that I could reduce pain levels to the point where I could hold my son?

Sheesh! Worst way in the world to go about increasing breast feeding rates!

How about directing funding towards milk banks. Increasing education levels - and I don't just mean educating women having babies! I mean the "lactation consultants" in the hospital who thought it was a great idea to switch to four-hourly feeds and expressing when my milk just wasn't coming in under the three-hourly regime we started with!

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybee View Post
    Well, my opinion is that she's a moron. What if you CAN'T breastfeed? Would Gisele in her wisdom have you sent to jail? Perhaps she should stick to modelling?
    Nah, you get a doctor's note saying you can't BF and then get a prescription for formula. Way to make work for doctors and fund the formula companies from the public purse.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Interesting discussion on my wall about it:

Renee: wow gisele, what a way to get millions of mothers offside. yes, breastmilk is by far the best thing for an infant, but many mothers cannot do it. simple as that. enforcing a law that babies should only be given thier mothers breastmilk, will lead to babies not being sufficiently nourished, if a mother doesn't have the supply, or the ability to breastfed. smug cow.

Kay: Love Gisele!!! Renee, have you not heard of breastmilk banks, or the fact that the WHO recommends expressed milk, then donated milk prior to resorting to using formula? In truth, almost all mothers are physically capable of breastfeeding, they just aren't supported to. Three cheers for Gisele speaking out!
    about an hour ago Unlike 1 person

BellyBelly Kelly: Renee, I think she'd (as well as lots of us) would like to see women get the appropriate support and care, so that more women are breastfeeding. Only something like 1% of women cannot physically breastfeed due to insufficient glandular tissue (I think it's called something like that), then of course you have women who are sexual abuse survivors / psychological issues. By making formula so accessible, women often self diagnose or do a quick run to the chemist as they are frustrated, tired, in pain, unsupported. If things were in place to prevent this happening, then more women would be breastfeeding. But I would say it's a heck of alot more than 1% of women who say they can't breastfeed, when many. many of them have preventable problems. They are just let down in so many ways, medical professionals, the way they are cared for at birth, the tpes of births they have, bad information from MCHN's and the lack of self education.... It is possible that a huge percent of those who can't feed, would be diminished... but less and less women are breastfeeding. I think I read somewhere yesterday that something as little as 1% of mothers in the UK are still breastfeeding at 6 months of age. Something needs to be done, but what??? Any information we send out there about it, we get attacked... we need to attack the problem and not people.
    about an hour ago Like 3 people

Jessica: I agree with Kay. If babies had access to breastmilk in the first 6 months of life it would save millions of dollars in health care later on. Its time to move on from the guilt inducing stuff and start looking at the facts. If you can't breastfeed your child then wouldn't it be awesome if you could still feed them breastmilk??
    about an hour ago Unlike 3 people

Renee: i agreed that it is best to breastfeed, i was a breastfeeder. i'm just saying that it isn't something that should be allowed to be a law. aren't we at the moment, arguing the right to not have vaccinations be mandatory as it goes against freedom of choice? we can't just say it should be a law if we agree with it, you have to look at it from all sides.
    about an hour ago Like

BellyBelly Kelly: Just an aside - not an attack on formula so don't get me wrong - It still spins me out that people think donor breastmilk is so gross yet will happily give their babies (and themselves) milk from a cow, an animal living outdoors. Made for cow babies... cows who are ruminant - have 4 stomachs and can digest it, yet humans seem to have an increasing number of problems with it...
    about an hour ago Like 1 person

BellyBelly Kelly: I don't think it should be law - but perhaps be able to go to ideally an LC or GP (less ideal as they have no training but formula sales reps would be all over them) to talk through the problem and try and filter through and help women.
    about an hour ago Like

Renee: also, in her interview, it says nothing about donated breastmilk, it says mothers should breastfeed their children.
    about an hour ago Like

BellyBelly Kelly: oops and then be able to access formula from them.
    about an hour ago Like

Kay: Renee I'm not entirely sure I agree with the point of view of removing genuine choice via legislation. However, the proposition and having a celebrity speak out in favour of preserving breastfeeding is terrific.

Renee: absolutely, i'm all for breastfeeding becoming more commonplace and socially accepted. i'm just saying, it's not something that can legislated.
    about an hour ago Like

Jen: it is not best to breastfeed, it is normal. If artifical milk for babies was prescribed, the government would get it's finger out of it's ass and start to actually work giving support to new mothers to help them. Women that have babies are turfed out of the door of hospies, often before their milk even comes in and when they are often trying to deal with having just given birth. We are seen as second class citizens.
    about an hour ago Like

Sarah: it's nice to see a celeb who is pro-breastfeeding & it does something to balance out kim kardashian's twitter drivel recently. however, i don't like the idea of making something the law. i agree with kelly that better access to LCs (or supportive GPs) could be a good thing - perhaps financial assistance or similar for those wanting to hire an LC (or is it already a medicare rebate? i haven't actually checked!). the support in hospital can be hit & miss & i didn't think it was the best environment for someone with their breastfeeding L plates on & someone to help you in your own home would be far more beneficial & less intimidating.
    about an hour ago Like 1 person

Renee: i know my LC was rebated through medicare, and i'm pretty sure mbf cover some costs too.
    about an hour ago Like

BellyBelly Kelly: Yup breastfeeding is NOT best. Did you see my article? http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...-not-best.html
    about an hour ago Like

Talia: It should be prescription only, simple as that. Not only so women seek help first, but also so that women realize it is such an abnormal thing to feed a baby, not an equal choice.

Talia: I've donated about 4 litres of milk so far - to two babies who would otherwise have needed formula topups. This was because our midwife told them this was possible, and arranged picking it up. For women without an independent mw (or similar) they just don't know this is possible, so end up with formula.
    about an hour ago Like

Lisa: I had my daughter go on a nursing strike at 4 months old. She simply refused to take the breast, and was screaming hungry for several days on end while I tried to persist, even trying pumping and giving it to her in a bottle she would not drink it. How would I get a prescription for that, exactly? Would I have to demonstrate my child didn't want to feed, prove she was hungry, etc? Like I wasn't stressed and doubting myself enough? Or what about the mothers who have to go back to work and have trouble expressing enough? Do they need to prove their right to a prescription too? Should the GP watch them pump and decide whether they're pumping enough? And what about the mothers who just don't think breastfeeding works for them. They've tried it and don't feel comfortable with it, for whatever personal reason. Is it better to have a stressed out, uncomfortable, breastfeeding mother, or a happy one who uses formula? I'm totally pro-breastfeeding, think women need more support, but think the idea of legislating something like that is just beyond ridiculous. At the end of the day its a woman's choice whether she wants to breastfeed her child, or start solids at 4 months instead of 6, or whatever. Next you'll be saying a woman needs to sign an intention of breastfeeding before she's allowed to conceive.
    35 minutes ago Like

Rebecca: While i am an avid supporter of breast feeding a lot of work needs to be done before formula can go a lot of education and support is needed and a lot of preparation for breast milk banks too. there would be supply and demand issues unless women put themselves out to pasture. I have personally known many women who have experienced great difficulty in feeding their babies and have suffered emotionally due to feeling inadequate. So I support breast feeding but certainly would never condone making a mother who formula fed feel bad about their decision I don't know the reason for their choice and there is usually a more to it than being lazy because bottle feeding is way more time consuming
    33 minutes ago Like

Rebecca: Big clap to you talia I would donate but we don't have a system established near me and I'm not sure when I would squeeze it in around my little guts at the moment but I applaud you
    28 minutes ago Like

BellyBelly Kelly: I don't think this will ever become legislation. But apart from that she has good intentions. Its hard being 're-born' into birth issues - experiencing life changing births or breastfeeding relationships - you just want to tell the world what you've learnt, what is contrary to common belief - you want to change the status quo. Especially when you start out, you get gung ho, I know I was... then you balance it out a bit more as you learn and grow more. Sure it might not be the worlds best thought out plan... but she has a soul and heart in the right place and god knows we need more people like her. Give her time, don't attack her views... she'll be a great little advocate in time
    24 minutes ago Like
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Default Re:Make Breastfeeding Compulsory for 6 mths? WDYT?

wth??? I am sooo pro bf, but even taking out the, 'what if you physically CAN'T bf' (which i agree with 100%) how about......every mothers choice? Geez, we're still free enough to make our own decisions, aren't we??

I disagree with making it compulsory but am a firm believer that formula should be prescription only. That way only women who genuinely can't breastfeed have access to it or women who simply choose not to should have to sign a conscious objection form stating that they have made an informed decision not too breastfeed. Just my opinion but I think having formula so readily available in the supermarket makes mother's a little too quick to give up sometimes without seeking help from other avenues first. Formula should be advertised as an adequate substitute for breastmilk not an alternative. Not intended to offend anyone. Just my opinion on the matter.

This makes me so cranky!!! I stopped bf at 6 weeks, because (i dont mean to bring this up) i was abused when i was 13, and having my personal space invaded, yes even by my own child, but having someone touching my breasts, that i do NOT let anyone do, i found it very very hard to let my baby bf, and i avoided it at all costs. After having a near full blown panic attack every time my baby cried because he was hungry, and i didnt want to go near him, so i didnt have to hear the hungry cry, i am suffering pnd. Now i only tell people i have to go on anti depressents thats why i stopped,, but this issue has really struck a cord with me. Yes i could of gone to councellers, and i still am, so i am better prepared for my next child i wish to bf. I think this is ludacris to make it compulsery. Will the doctors believe i dont bf because of a mental issue and not a physical one? I was getting to the point of thinking of suicide, when dp made me switch to formula and now i havent had a panic attack in 5 weeks.... Im not saying i cant bf, i can, i had a wonderful supply, even 5 weeks later, i still have a fair bit of milk... but bf at this point in my life would of been very detrimental sp? to my mental health, and what does everyone say? A happy mum is a happy bub...

Just wanted to add, i think she is a great pro bf advocate, but she has gone OTT and most likely offended alot of people. BF is the most natural thing you can do for your baby, and formula is very readily accecible, its at service stations! BUT not complusery... no way

Quote Originally Posted by allycat06 View Post
    I disagree with making it compulsory but am a firm believer that formula should be prescription only. That way only women who genuinely can't breastfeed have access to it or women who simply choose not to should have to sign a conscious objection form stating that they have made an informed decision not too breastfeed. Just my opinion but I think having formula so readily available in the supermarket makes mother's a little too quick to give up sometimes without seeking help from other avenues first. Formula should be advertised as an adequate substitute for breastmilk not an alternative. Not intended to offend anyone. Just my opinion on the matter.
    While i respect ur opinion, im not sure if making it prescription would work, i think we are forgetting about the other cheaper option for some ...cows milk, when i was a teenager i lived with a young mum who choose not to bf and didnt want to waste money on formula, so she feed her baby cows milk from birth. and am i correct in thinking that is worse than formula? i could be wrong, but i think if some people had to spend time at the drs waiting to get a prescription for formula they might just take the other easier option?

Wow, I find this comment so upsetting I am biting back tears as writing this. I think that is great that she found her breastfeeding journey so easy and wonderful, but to make a comment like this shows such blatant disregard for other women who have experienced something other than she has, that it is downright hurtful. Ok so she may have her "heart in the right place" or whatever, and obviously wants to promote breastfeeding- but surely she has been a celebrity for long enough to know that he comments are taken literally and she can't just bandy about poorly thought out ideas and feelings. There are enough people making women who couldn't breastfeed feel inadequate, bad mothers, ashamed, wrong etc (I could go on and on with all the crappy feelings I have about this) without someone else adding to it. It shows no empathy at all.

I agree that women should be better educated, social norms and perception needs to shift and there needs to be a LOT more support for breastfeeding mums, BUT why couldn't she have said this instead of comments about it being compulsory. Personally I had a lot of support and help (not in hospital, but afterwards through a breastfeeding centre) but after 5 weeks of misery and pain, a starving baby, 4 different lactation consultants giving me different advice and passing me on to another one, and 2 bouts of severe mastitis with fevers up to 40, and basically being delirious in bed for 2 days each time completely unable to care for my baby, I stopped nursing and started pumping. This unfortunately only lasted 3 weeks before I had to resort to formula (for various reasons which I won't go into). I'm afraid that my experience is that even with LC support and the best intentions (I was NOT going to give up), I failed. Apparently his mouth and my breast just didn't work and were never going to. This has left me hating myself, my body and breasts, the world (no only kidding) but I have found this failure extremely hard to deal with emotionally. However, without formula my baby would have starved. I'm afraid I take offence at all the many comments that women don't try hard enough and reach for the formula too easily. Women like Gisele should do some research into this area before making slapdash comments that hurt other women. We need to stick together and support each other whatever our parenting decisions.

You can't legislate to make people feed their babies normally but you know I think it's good when someone makes such an absurd statement.
    I think of it as what Edward deBono refers to as a 'po' - a provocative/absurd statement that in itself is ridiculous but serves to provoke thought and discussion.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast