Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Make Breastfeeding Compulsory for 6 mths? WDYT?

No actually the thread is about a supermodel stating bf should be 6 months by law, no less.

So this thread was bound to come with the 'why' the supermodel feels this way.

If there was no guilt etc, then there would be no arguements.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Butterfly View Post
    Just some snippets on moderate drinking, there actually isn't that much on heavy drinkers...... but to be honest, with b/f numbers so so low, how many of them are alcoholics?? All the party/drinking girls i know use formula and babysitters, not b/f anyway, although of course there will be the odd exception.

With regards to "stoner" mums, I'll have to search more, but in reality, is that any worse than a cigarette smoking mother who b/f? And there are a lot of mums who do smoke and feed, even while b/f at the same time and blowing smoke ONTO their baby, and no one tells a smoker to not b/f.

It is damn hard to find good research!!!
    You'd be surprised the number of SUBSTANCE ABUSERS who do breast feed. And you're right, they are snippets about MODERATE alcohol consumption. I also wonder how many of these "facts" discovered in the same way other research facts are - through control groups and scientific analysis. For example, I can tell you categorially that a certain product has 1% fat - but how do I prove it? Through lab testing.

I would also ask you to prove that 0.8% alcohol (or less) passed on to a baby through breast milk is not harmful for the baby. How can this be tested? There are many different kinds of harm.

But lets try and keep to the original post. Should breastfeeing to the age of 6 months be compulsory by law?

DAMN Boo! I have to spread the love!

yes, and to make it a law takes away civil rights, hence it becomes a matter of a WOMANS RIGHT TO CHOOSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated_mummy View Post
    If there was no guilt etc, then there would be no arguements.
    I tend to disagree. If there was a little more understanding and 'thinking outside the square' from the BF Nazis (sorry, it had to be said!), there would be no arguments. It's got nothing to do with guilt, merely a bunch of mum's trying to let the BF gurus know that BF isn't always the answer and isn't always easy and isn't always achievable and that formula is the next best thing.

I have really enjoyed my BF journey with my DD but I would never, EVER expect any of my friends or family to feel the same way about it. Nor would I ever question their reasoning for choosing formula OR to BF beyond the 2 years suggested by WHO.

Why do the mothers have to be 'informed' to make a decision of ff or bf... are us ff mums 'ill informed' ? Yeah i feel guilty for ff, but for my mental health i chose to ff, and i'd like to meet anyone who thinks im selfish, or lazy, or bf just 'didnt fit my life'. I would walk to bourke and back for my son, but no mentally i couldnt bf. Im sorry but i couldnt. I wish to bf exclusiivley to my next child, IF my mind will allow me. If not, i will not beat myself up about it, i will not even think that im poisoning my son with ff. I will not let comments of people success stories get the better of me, they have not walked in my shoes. This thread is exactly why i continued bf, and in turn i got incredibly sick, so next time i will not feel bad. Am i not doing the best for my son because i ff? What happend to womens rights? What happend to, dont judge people? All lastnight and all yesterday i've felt like a failure, i felt im not doing the best for my son, i feel like he's going to grow up with some wild diseases because i only bf for 6 weeks, because the antidepressant i was taking are like horse tranqulizers. I understand, bf is the most natural thing you can do for your child, but i want you to think of how others might feel who physically/mentally cant bf or heck even doesnt want to! What is comments like

"Taurean, TBH, the impact on society as a whole, not just babies will not really be known yet for another I say 20yrs or so.... if you look at the generations now receiving FF as opposed to years and years ago when it was mainly BF, when most families couldn't afford formula as it was too expensive...... we really don't know the implications this will all have on our society and environment until further down the track. It is still too early to tell I believe.... I do know however, that nature designed breastmilk for babies. This is what nature ALWAYS intended babies to have.

Yes I have had to use formula for my DD when she was very young (low milk supply issues and low weight gains).... but I corrected the issues we had an exclusively BF her from 5mths onwards..... it was never easy for me. But I fought for DD's right to breastfeed and to receive breastmilk as i knew it was her birthright to receive it until (at least) 12mths.

I don't understand how people can argue with nature??? "

If that doesnt make me want to crawl back into the hole i'd dug myself i dont know what will.
    Last edited by jesses_girl; August 4th, 2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: edit

BF Nazis? So now breastfeeding advocates are responsible for an industrial model of killing people that wiped out 6 million Jews plus other assorted people who incurred their dislike. And to think that I thought that they were just women who were passionate about baby nutrition. Oh!! How those wicked lactivists have mislead me.
    Slatternly wenches!!!

Seriously though, don't you think it just a tad insulting to all the survivors and victims of the holocaust to call people Nazis so lightly?

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    BF Nazis? So now breastfeeding advocates are responsible for an industrial model of killing people that wiped out 6 million Jews plus other assorted people who incurred their dislike. And to think that I thought that they were just women who were passionate about baby nutrition. Oh!! How those wicked lactivists have mislead me.
    Slatternly wenches!!!

Seriously though, don't you think it just a tad insulting to all the survivors and victims of the holocaust to call people Nazis so lightly?
    that term has been around for longer than i have. lets not get over the top politically correct here.

I recall a response from someone on here who was quite happy to call herself a breastfeeding nazi

Quote Originally Posted by muminalice View Post
    I recall a response from someone on here who was quite happy to call herself a breastfeeding nazi
    lol, funny that. when it suits..

It's not OTT politically correct. It's merely showing some consideration for our Jewish members who find it very upsetting to see the word Nazi bandied around.

Quote Originally Posted by boobaloo View Post
    that term has been around for longer than i have. lets not get over the top politically correct here.
    :yeahthat:

It's not OTT politically correct. It's merely showing some consideration for our Jewish members who find it very upsetting to see the word Nazi bandied around.
    And for any Jewish members reading this thread, I am extremely sorry if I have offended you. That definitely was not my intent at all. I was merely using Aussie slang and a term which has been thrown around groups of mothers for many years in this country. I honestly do apologise as I have a lot of respect for what the Jews have been through and wouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I would also ask you to prove that 0.8% alcohol (or less) passed on to a baby through breast milk is not harmful for the baby. How can this be tested? There are many different kinds of harm.

And I can ask you to prove how it is harmful.

I have long term b/f 6 beautiful babies, all with the occasional drink, as have many, many generations of mums. Just as some are claiming FF hasn't hurt anyone, without any proof or stats, how can anyone turn around and say moderate drinking has?

( I am NOT saying FF has hurt anyone, just making a point )

Look Im sick of repeating myself and before I get nasty and personal Ill say this post.

Stop trying to justify why you ff. If you are happy with your 'choice' fine, stop trying to convince everybody! If you had to ff for reasons, mental etc then you should realise, formula is their for mothers like yourself that COULDN'T feed.
    There is not two different ways to feed a child, formula and breast. There's ONE way and the other is an alternative IF the other cant be done. IMO of course.

We all agree breast is best yeah? So if your are able to that be MENTAL, PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL ETC, then why wouldn't you?!!! If you are able why would you 'choose' something that isn't as good for your child?????

Im honestly wanting reasons? To go out? To work? To get drunk?

Im not being nasty Im honestly asking if there's a woman out there, in this thread that is completely able, why did you 'choose' not to????

Quote Originally Posted by boobaloo View Post
    That same logic could be applied to many a derogitory term - it does not make it right. I don't think it's too much to ask people show some consideration and respect to others.

For a discussion that was suppose to be based on a sweeping comment made by a model, and started out so amicably; it has taken a downward turn and seems to be filled with some very offensive terms and statements. It also seems to have become personal in it's attacks. Surely we're above that here on BB? What happened to supporting each other for our decisions? We don't have to agree with each other, but one would imagine that supporting each other would go hand in hand with the ethos of this site - one which we all subscribe to and enjoy.

Kass, your last post comes across as very attacking and contradictory. You're telling FF mum's to stop justifying their decision but then asking them too. In my experience, many FFing mothers on BB have felt they need to justify themselves because they feel attacked and that they are being told their choice (for whatever reason) was and is wrong. That they could/should have done more to BF. I think that we could all be more supportive of the choices we make (not just restricted to feeding) and non-judgmental, it might make discussions about delicate subjects less offensive for some members as well as more open.
    Last edited by Mother Goose; August 4th, 2010 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated_mummy View Post
    Look Im sick of repeating myself and before I get nasty and personal Ill say this post.

Stop trying to justify why you ff.

Im honestly wanting reasons? To go out? To work? To get drunk?

???
    umm.. i thought you wanted us to stop justifying ourselves???
    and yes, to answer your question, i chose to not breastfeed my child so i could go out every night, get smashed, and not have to get up to a screaming child that wanted to latch onto my boob.
    we don't have to give you ANY reasons, it's a personal choice every mother gets to make. you don't have to agree with it, nor are any formula feeders asking for your permission or acceptance.

Slatternly wenches!!!

Onyx - the term was brought up by a previous poster stating she was quite proud to be one. i think that's why it was brought up again now - in response to that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    That same logic could be applied to many a derogitory term - it does not make it right. I don't think it's too much to ask people show some consideration and respect to others.

MG, I apologise if this term has offended, i am certainly not a person of racist nature, as a pp said, it is everyday slang that has been around for a long time, hence i saw no harm in it. again, i apologise.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast