It seems like your early days of being a mum have been a rocky road. You are doing a great job. It's not a very exact science working out how much a young baby should have. In the early days we usually go with the calculation of 150mls per kilo of bodyweight per 24hrs. So, say your baby was 3.5kg, you would be looking at her getting a total of 525 mls in 24hrs. If she feeds every 3 hours (8 times in 24hrs) you would be looking at around 65 mls per feed. This builds up so by 4 weeks most babies would take 700-800 mls. So, it sounds like you really do have plenty of milk. The fabulous thing about breastfeeding is you don't have to worry about the calculator - she just feeds and you make enough milk. And the other thing is, breastfeeding is not all about the milk - the breast becomes relatively emptier, but they are still able to satisfy their need for comfort and closeness at the breast.
I suggest that you finish a feed by putting Zahlia on the breast when she has had her EBM to finish off. Keep it relaxed. Jennifer has given you some good advice - I am happy to recommend you an LC in your area. There's no reason why, very very soon, your little Zahlia wouldn't be solely breastfed. And you? You are doing a brilliant job with that little one - good on you. Your workload will be easier when you have your little one on the breast.
THANKS SO MUCH LADIES!! - you've given me a world of advice - think I'll go off and get some of the Ferngreek tomorrow - I currently offer her the breast anytime she wants it along with her normal feeds - she normally pops on 3-4 x a day currently along with taking 90mls with each feed - which normally contains about 60-70mls of breast and the rest formula - I've got the clinic nurse coming tomorrow so it will be interesting to see how her progress is going.
I think I'll look into an infant osteo also - i have a lovely gentleman that I saw during pregnancy who may very well be able to do the trick
Again thanks for all the words of wisdom - I really don't want to give up on the breast just yet
One of my girlfriends used the tea and calcium supplements to great effect.
I never had huge supply issues, but I had to express off one side for a week back at about week 3. I hated expressing and I never ever got up to 60 mls, so it sounds like you're doing okay. But after I expressed for that week, that side was a little 'under the weather' for several weeks. I could never get as much out of it, well, bub was never as satisfied with that side. I decided to favour that side as much as possible and put bub to that breast for comfort as much as I could and that did the trick in increasing my supply from that side.
I agree with what's already been said, but wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in... I had supply issues with my first (born Sep), and was doing the same thing... feeding with a nipple shield and top-ups of both EBM and formula. I couldn't get anywhere near what you're getting, so I think you're doing great!
I've since gone to expressing full-time, as unfortunately our BF'ing got worse not better... but after 2 months of not having quite enough, as of this month I have finally started to not only match what he needs, but to store a bit of extra away!!! I did take Fenugreek (just to be pedantic, I noticed you'd spelled this Ferngreek, which may give you grief trying to find it!) - I got the Nature's Own brand from my pharmacy (it's just a vitamin-y supplement). I found I needed to take one caps with every meal before I saw a difference (one caps a day didn't do anything observable).
I also guzzled Milo (not Aktivite) just because I liked it and felt like it in the wee small hours - dunno if that helped! And finally - what you're already doing - made sure I expressed at least 3 hourly during the day for a few days and that seemed to bump it up too. I also agree that attaching bubba does more for supply than anything else too!
I think I had trouble getting more than 30mls at the same stage as you, so well done & hang in there, you're doing wonderfully!
Oh and I also saw an osteo (forceps birth & ALSO had trouble attaching RHS) and it seemed to help my very snuffly/snorty/mouth-breathing young fellow! Couldn't recommend seeing one enough!!!
Bookmarks