Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nipple Shields

Fee - I'm sure you are doing fine with the feeding, and there really are no problems using the nipple shield, especially if you are planning to take him off.
    I second what FionaJill (too many Fiona's in this thread ) said regarding expressing first to soften up your breast a little. Just try by hand to milk a little off, it may only need to be 20-30mls and that should help your nipple and your attachment.
    The other thing to consider is maybe if you want to try him without the shield, do it when he's really hungry so you know he will want the breast. If all else fails, you can just put the shield back on so that he can have that feed. I think the suggestion of cutting small amounts off over a few days is a great one, but the lactation consultant should be able to advise you exactly what to do.
    Yes the avent shields run top to bottom so nose and chin are touching your skin.
    Well done - You are doing a great job!

Fee Guest

I seem to suck at hand expressing. Although sometimes it just drips out. But when I try and do it for comfort it never comes out right. I'll keep trying though.

I've been trying BF with the shield and then taking it off after a few minutes I guess that's sort of the same as hand expressing some first. My breast is softer and my nipple has been drawn out a little. But he won't always latch on. Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Just keep trying, thats the best you can do!

With the hand expressing, try & picture a daisy on your nipple, so that there are petels goin gright the way round your areola & with your thumb & pointer finger gently roll & squeeze forward towards the nipple. Start with your finger well back from the nipple its self. Start at the tip of each petel, so almost right back to where the areola becomes breast. make sure your thumb & finger tips meet. Its a very common mistake mothers make when hand expressing is to have their thumb sort of hitting down the finger rather then bending your finger a little so the tips meet, KWIM??? Once you get the hang of what I mean then move around your nipple. so your expressing at each petel. I have a word document done up about how to hand express, let me know if you would like me to email you a copy.

Fee - I struggled to BF my son for a week with him being supped on formula and finally got the nipple shield to work. We BF for 9 mths with the shield with no reduction in supply. At 9mths he just latched on by himself and we went on to fee until he was 2. relax and enjoy bf, don't stress too much about weaning off it will happen when you are both ready.

Hand expressing was a hassle until my milk supply settled down. I was only able to get drops out, but at about 2-3 months I started getting the streams out like a cow being milked. It was terribly exciting

rails Guest

i used nipple shields for 6 weeks, without them i would not of breastfed over 2wks ... DS would not attach & i had the usual cracked split nipples. ds was getting the breast milk & that was all that mattered to me ... i did not notice a decrease in milk supply, i had plenty & managed to keep feed until he was 14mths old i have only just weaned him off. I used the Avent brand & placed it vertically so his nose was against my skin which also helped with the sheild not pealing off.

Good luck this time around Soph xx

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I am trying Avent nipple shield now - for breast refusal but I read somewhere not to cut shields as it can cut /irritate babe's mouth or nipple.

FionaJill what does ABA recommend for breast refusal in a 4 week old - (but actually due date is today) their book only talks about older babies.

Working a little but he still doesn't fully latch on and has a small mouth -he won't open wide enough.

mmmm, Trish if you can email me a little bit of history about the little one that is refusing ( i remeber reading that one of your boys is feeding fine?? but the other has been hard all along???), thinkgs like hoe feeds in the past have been & how he has been getting feeds when not from the breast. How he behaves when you try him onthe boob etc, I will see what I can find out. I don't think I am experienced enough to take on this one. Seems they are prem bubs & like you said the booklets only talk about older bubs.
    I would like to be able to pass the onfo you can give me onto a more expereinced counsellor if you don't mind.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12