Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Contact The Baby Food Companies re 4 Month Labelling

Exclamation Please Contact The Baby Food Companies re 4 Month Labelling

I just sent this email to Heinz via their web contact page.
    Please if you have a free minute can you do the same and for the other companies that label their solids as suitable for 4-6 months.

Dear Sir/Madam,
    I'm sure that you are aware of the WHO guidelines that state that babies should not start solids until after 6 months of age. I find it very disturbing that you're marketing solids as suitable for babies 4 months or over. In my opinion it is very irresponsible to mislead parents by suggesting implicitly through your labeling that solids are appropriate for such young babies.
    I shall not be buying any Heinz products for babies or adults until such time as I notice that this is rectified.
    Bellamy's baby foods are labeled correctly so I will choose their product instead of yours and encourage others to do the same.

Regards,
    XXXXXXXXX
    I'm trying to figure out which government bodies to harass about the issue - any ideas?

ETA Golden Circle

ETA - Bellamy's does label their food as suitable from 6 months. Please mention this so the other companies know that there is an alternative to their product.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

On my to-do list for when I finish studying tonight! Great idea Dach.

Fantastic idea Dach... i was just thinking about this yesterday.
    How about the Dept. of Health?

Done! Great idea Chloe

You can contact Food Standards Australia New Zealand about this too, as they are the governing body for labelling laws. I have actually started my own baby food company, and this question came up during our labelling development. We decided to go with 6 mths+ for first foods, as babys health is more important to me than 2 mths extra profit. From what i've read/heard though, it is NZ who are dropping the ball in this area, as they refuse to change their laws and since it is a combined law for Aus and NZ, we won't either. Also, after a discussion with one big player, the big baby food companies seem to think that, if anything, the change will be back to from 4 mths+..Will have to wait and see, but i think this petition could really make a difference!!

done - cmon everyone! it only takes a second or two...

Done!!

Thanks for being so proactive Chloe and looking after the health of our babies!

Laurin

Done here too! Thanks Dach for letting us know...

Done

Done, thanks.

I think Raffertys garden also lable from 6 months +. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but i use there stuff on the run.

Quote Originally Posted by minimatron View Post
    I think Raffertys garden also lable from 6 months +. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but i use there stuff on the run.
    Nope- they say 4 months for their smooth and breakfast ranges.

All done

Here is a link to a study done in 1994 regarding this issue, by FSANZ - it is long, but an interesting read. One thing that stood out was the "majority" of parents in the NZ study, began solids at 4mths, whereas only a quarter of study participants in Australia did with the remaining number waiting until at least 5mths. It went on to say that the NZ participants were much more educated in the physiological readiness of their babies than Australian participants were.
    Worth a read if you have time.

This is a fantastic idea!! I met a lady in my street a couple of weeks ago and she has a little bub who is now ALMOST 4 months old. She mentioned the other day that she gave him 'breakfast' the other morning consisting of farex and apple. I said nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo he isnt even 4 months old yet and she is giving him food. This is not her first baby either, its her 4th. Why do women think babies need food before they are 6 months old??. My baby is almost 8 months old and he hardly eats anything at all. He snacks on banana, yogurt and other fruits and vege. He mostly has breastmilk and he is still over 10kgs. They dont need it!!!.

Mumma Bear, i think that is the scariest part of all! We say 6 mths and inevitably some people start around 6 mths(so from 5 mths etc), but if we are recommending 4 mths+ then inevitably some 12 week olds are going to be staring solids..eek!!that is terrifying!!
    That is the main reason my company decided to go with 6 mth+..after all, who are we to argue with the WHO?? Just wish parents would realise that!!
    We actually just launched the products at the PBC Expo, Sydney. And my poor dietitians were completely distraught at the lack of parents actually educated about solids at all!! They are really concerned for this generation of bubs..i think changing these laws would definitely make a start!

Quote Originally Posted by MummaBear79 View Post
    Why do women think babies need food before they are 6 months old??.
    I know I can't blame others for my mistakes but when my first son was a baby I would go shopping in the baby aisle and I saw all the baby foods that were labeled 4 months + so I was actually silly enough to believe that solids were ok at 4 months. When I asked my ECN about it she said that the guidelines had been changed but some babies were ready early so I went ahead and gave him solids.
    Of course in hindsight I know better and I know that I should have educated myself better but TBH I was so busy trying to get it all right that I managed to get some things totally wrong.
    Had the bottles and boxes been labeled 6 months + I think it's possible that I may have waited that extra 2 months before introducing solids.

paradise lost Guest

who are we to argue with the WHO?
    I disagree with the WHO statement that all baby boys in countries where HIV infection is level or rising should be circumcised! It is pick and mix what people accept and what they don't.

You know those feeding charts that are based on FF babies? They were made and circulated by the WHO. The studies they are based on were done by the WHO. The "normal" feeding accepted by the WHO back then (about 20 years ago, not 50 as some think) was formula. It is important to remember that the WHO are not above mistakes any more than Heinz are.

(bee in bonnet, sorry )

Bx

I've done it too. I also added my own little bit to the email too.

Why do women think babies need food before they are 6 months old??
    I'm with Chloe. If I hadn't read stuff like this on BB and the ABA site I wouldn't have a clue when bubs are supposed to start solids... I'd take the labels on baby food to be true and probably start at 4 months.

The question is... why do baby food companies seem to think babies need food from 4 months old?
    (well extra 2 months worth of profits of course).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast