Thread: Safe Cold Medications while Breastfeeding

Mia'sMummy Guest

Question Safe Cold Medications while Breastfeeding

Hi there,
    I'm still breastfeeding my little girl & we both have come down with a terrible cold, watery eyes, tingly running nose, achey all over -the works. Is there any sort of relief I can safely take??
    Mia is having Dimetapp & that seems to ease her symptoms but I've been struggling along without anything...

Any sort of advice would be great! Even natural therapies - (At this stage I'm open to anything!!)

I hope this is posted in the right section too!!

I would check with a gp or a pharmasist that you trust.......I had a shocking couple of cough/colds whilst BF'ing my son & between me and my gp and my pharmacist investigating, the only products I felt safe in taking were paracetamol for the aches and Dorotuss couch mixyure for my cough.

Hope you both feel better soon!

I asked the pharmacist this recently as DH was sick and I was worried I'd get it... he said pretty much only paracetamol is safe whilst BF'ing. Worth asking your Dr tho in case there is something new out there.

Brauers do a Head Cold spray as part of their Respatrum (or something like that) range that you can spray under your tongue and it is pretty good. I got it at the health food shop, they said it was ok and I double checked and called their own helpline too that said it was ok. Other than that, yeap paracetamol. Hope you feel better soon, there is a really nasty cold going around atm.