Thread: Should I be expressing?

Question Should I be expressing?

DS is 2 weeks old today and is breastfed. He feeds generally every 3 hours, occasionally 2.5 hours. Feeding is going well so far.

I have only started expressing in the last two days because i want to go out on Friday to get my hair cut and will probably miss a feed. First time I got about 60 mls, today I only got about 40mls.

But my question is, should I be expressing every day anyway? I didn't with DD unless I needed to but have read a lot of the new mums in the baby buddies threads are expressing every day.

With a newborn and a toddler I would imagine some days I just won't have time.

Willow, if everything is going well, leave well enough alone! Expressing is a PITA, and if you don't need to then don't. Obviously if you're going to be leaving him, then express enough so that you can leave some EBM for him, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

If you want to do it, that's fine, but if you have a good supply there's no need Enjoy your booby time!

Cant you take him with you?
    I too found expressing a PITA and just resorted to bubs coming every where with me - at least in the first 6 months.
    I recently just got my hair coloured, and Sam was there with me.....it may be a little less stressful for you if you took him???

Willow I'm expressing every day atm due to a very sore cracked nipple. I also find it easier to take a bottle of EBM if we go out incase bub decides he wants a feed. I'm only new to this bf thing so its quite awkward to get "set up" with a cloth nappy under my boob lol to catch any over flow as I have excessive milk flow and Sage takes a little while to latch on properly.
    I say do whatever suites you and little Logan hun.

I agree that expressing every day is not necessary. I used to express if I was a bit full and uncomfortable, and started buidling up a "milk bank" that way. I did express a bit more often if I needed extra "stock", but not every day.

I didn't express every day as a matter of course either. I agree with everyone else, if you don't need to, its not worth the hassle (and boredom. Gosh I find expressing booooooring!).

OK, good.

I did consider taking him with me, but I think a busy salon is a bit much for a 2 week old baby. I will be more relaxed knowing he is at home with daddy and hopefully sleeping!

I will probably be quite full after missing a feed today so will express when I get home too. I might do it every few days over the next few weeks just to get a bit of ebm in the freezer for when it's needed.

I agree expressing can be a major PITA and I've never really been able to get a lot in one go, I think about 80mls is about my limit, so it takes some time for me.

Willow, 80mls at a time is a lot!! Great work!

Willow, 80ml is heaps! Enjoy getting out I love getting my hair done now!

Expressing is a PITA! I had to do it in hospital inbetween feeds (so was feeding or expressing every 1.5hrs), to flush out her jaundice and because she was pretty small (2.77kg at birth but lost some weight).

Besides the hassle with it all, it increases your milk supply - when my milk came in i was comfortably full (think because i had only weaned DS 6 months early), but after a day of expressing i became pretty engorged and it was painful. Now it has settled down again. Although its good to have some EBM in the house, be careful not to do it to much, or you'll end up with some other problems.

I agree Willow, 80mls is brilliant. Enjoy your well-earned break

Willow, I did express every day with Lexie. I wanted her to be able to have a bottle of EBM from early on, so I expressed from early on, so I was happy to do it. But that's just me. I was able to express a fair amount from just one express daily, and I would often do it in front of the TV, and I just got into a groove doing it daily.

BUT it did stimulate my supply to the point that if I didn't express on a daily basis, I was really uncomfy by about 2pm. (I expressed in front of Dr Phil at 1pm, LOL!)

I went interstate with Lexie when she was about 3 months and didn't take my pump.........OMG....engorged......I leaked milk everywhere!

CONGRATULATIONS on your little man BTW!

Oh, OK, I didn't think 80mls was very much this early on, and I'm pretty sure I won't get that much later on, only now while my supply hasn't settled. I remember when I was going back to work with DD and I started expressing daily, I think I'd only get like 20mls at a time or something? She was 11 months old by then so totally different situation to now.

Went and got my hair done, it was bliss! I called into the supermarket on the way home too - I almost feel like I've had a day off! Great way to recharge the batteries!

When I got home I was quite uncomfortable so expressed again and got 190mls!! Hooley dooley! So I put it into two separate containers and will freeze them for later.

Thanks for all your advice girls.

Willow, WOW at 190mls. Fantastic effort!

I usually freeze EBM in 50ml lots as I hated the idea of wasting some if it was defrosted and then not drunk.

I get almost 200ml (per breast) but Zyon is having a feeding frenzy, so I expressed after a feed today & got 280ml, which I put aside & then headed to the shops with Mum... He is deep sleeping now & drank the whole lot! Porky Pig!

But I dont express daily, maybe once a week at the most just so I have some in freezer for the JIC's that do arise!!!

Bloody hell Tracey - you're a cow!! LOL!! I wish I could express that much at once, I'd hardly have to do it then.

I know, I just seem to have stacks... Infact Indah's quite interested & has asked to have booby susu again (susu is milk in Indonesian) she ahsnt actually sucked it though, but says she wnats some!!!

DD has actually asked me too since I've been feeding DS, but she's been weaned for well over a year now so I'm not going there!