Thread: Supply (again)

Default Supply (again)

So here I am again and I can't find the advise left in my previous thread with regards to supply.

I am still using a shield but trying at times without.

I feel like will is on and off most of the day and is never 100% satisfied. Tonight he was on left for 10 min then right after about a 15 min break he wanted to go back on again. This repeated about 4 times. The I just gave him 80 of what I had expressed and he took the lot and still looks like he wants more.

I'm going to bed now and have left him with dh I just hope I have milk again later to feed again.

I'm so worried now that my sin is going hungry

I should also add my nipples are starting to get a little sore today.

How old is he now?

Both my boys cluster fed int he afternoon/evening and it felt like they were contsantly feeding.
    The best way to know he is getting enough is his nappies, not how oftne/long etc his feeds are. It could be that he is building up your supply for a gowth spurt, some of them may be comfort, or thirst, rather than hunger
    I know this next part is easier said than done. I b/f both boys and had significantly different experiences.
    The first was traumatic I was stressed all the time, beside myself when he awanted to feed all the time, worried I wouldnt have enough cos it was too close between feeds, he wasnt attaching properly etc.
    The second time, I just fed him every time he wanted to. Somtimes that was hourly round the clock. Most days it as 8-10 times a day in the early days, but 5 of those might have been clustered together. Id did take a good few weeks for my nipples to stop being sore.
    What are you using on them?

Lou - I have been feeding DS2 almost hourly (and sometimes less) for the past few days after about 3pm to about 9pm. And my poor boobies are sore!!!!! You may remember Janie and I spent a lot of time with our first boys trying to increase and maintain supply for a number of reasons - different for each of us. In the end, the best judge of supply is weight gain and wet / poo nappies. Because they can be unsettled and wanting to suck for a thousand reasons

So - how often are you getting poo?? How much has he gained recently?? And how old is he now?? I have the Wonder Weeks books which I can copy the weeks page for you to give you an idea of when they are likely to be unsettled. The first time is around the 4 week mark when they start to become aware of bodily functions. PM me or call me or something. I am more than happy to fill you in on the ups and downs and remind you of how well you are doing. My best advice - relax (and this is coming from the Queen of Paranoia ) Will knows what he is doing, even if you are unsure

Loula, as the others have said, the best way to tell if enough is going, is from what is coming out. 5 or more heavily wet disposables in 24 hours (6 - 8 pale wet cloth nappies), and two or more runny or soft poos are a great sign. If you are concerned about your supply, more frequent feeding is the best thing you can do to increase it. 8 - 12 feeds in 24 hours or more is tiring, but very normal at that age.

Would you consider having a Lactation Consultant check your attachment at all? Sometimes they can spot things that mums can't, and she might also be able to help you ditch the shields if you want to do that.

You are doing really well hun.

You're doing great hun, my little one is 5 months and I still have days where I wonder whether my milk is enough for her. She cluster feeds on some days like you wouldn't believe.

Just wanted to offer some support. You're doing a fabulous job xxxx

Babies feed/suck for lots of reasons that aren't hunger.
    Feed him and then take him for a walk or give him a bath or listen to some music together or.........
    And feeding very frequently during part of the day is also totally normal.

If you are worried then take Will for another weigh-in so you know for sure - but I'm pretty sure that it isn't supply.

When i don't know why bub is feeding so often, i try to remember that she knows why she is doing it (in her body if not her mind), and if i just go with the flow i might be able to work it out. One thing i think i remember reading somewhere, and it has stuck with me, is that often bubs suck today for the food they need tomorrow. Its an on-going relationship between baby and boob, and baby will be communicating that tomorrow she will need more (due to growth or sickness or whatever).

I don't have the wonder weeks book, but Sue often talks about it (and her bub is just older than mine) and so often fussy periods line up perfectly with wonder weeks, so if you can get a copy its worth it.

take care

Yeah, Kate that is a good point. The Wonder weeks book is awesome!!
    I got a copy from my library Loula xxxx

DD fed constantly as a newborn, and yes it gives those nipples a work out. Have you got Lansinoh to rub into your nipples? It helps a lot.

As others have suggested, unless your baby has signs of low supply- low weight gain, few wet nappies, then always assume you ARE making enough milk.

Its hard, but don't doubt yourself. A baby wanting to feed ALL day and night is normal. They are sucking machines, and that is their whole world right now.

it will improve.

You are doing a great job, it's hard when they cluster feed, but it's very normal. He will also start to be quicker with his feeds as Ge gets more efficient at draining each side.

If you are still worried about your supply make sure you drink water, eat three meals a day and two snacks and try and rest up.

how are you going today loula?

i have to agree with the PP - i felt like my DS was attached 24/7 in the first few weeks but nappies are a great guide for whether they're getting enough.

if you are really worried, there is a recipe for lactation cookies & alot of people seem to have had good success with them. i did try one that someone made once & they're pretty tasty so that's an added bonus!

all this feeding is helping to make sure you have the right supply for will.

make sure you're getting some rest, not doing too much & eating well

In the first weeks it seems like they're never satisfied - count the nappies, that's the best indication.
    If you feel your nipples are sore, then perhaps seek help from an LC or ABA counsellor to ensure the latch is right. Sometimes it can be just ever so slightly off.
    It's a common misperception that our breasts are like jugs that need to be filled before we can feed, but you don't have to 'wait' for more milk. Your breasts will make it as needed. When you're feeding frequently your breasts will feel emptier, but that does not translate to low supply. In fact, frequent emptying of your breasts is the absolute best thing to boost supply.

You're doing great, really, by following your baby's cues and feeding on demand. Sometimes it may just be comfort he wants, but that's ok too. Take care of yourself

How ironic. I am now going to ask if babies can get too much lol. Will has been feeding all day again. This time I counted. I'm up to about 15 feeds lol

I think the one right now is for comfort. As he fell straight to sleep after a cry with daddy! Dh laughed he's a mummy's boy lol

So sometimes he has a vomit then want more again. He is also having lots of wee's and poos

15 is fine, really!
    It will settle down once those early unsettled weeks pass by. In a couple of months he'll be feeding quickly and at longer intervals. You're doing fine

I haven't read through the other answers, but I just wanna say that DD was permanently attached to my boobs for like the first 2months, and my nipples did get quite tender, and she never ever seemed satisfied.
    But in hindsight I realise she was just wanting comfort, and was also boosting my supply.
    Try not to stress about supply, just trust your body, as long as your little one is gaining weight, all is well!

Loula, there was a day when DD was around 4 weeks old when i was on the couch for 5 HOURS feeding LOL. She was a hungry little Horace that day!!!

You'll find as he gets older that he'll become more efficient and you won't be feeding for as long.

Sue xxx