thread: For those who can't/couldn't breast-feed.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Add ~clover~ on Facebook

    Sep 2007
    travelling
    9,557

    I did try to breast feed my girls. But after 6 weeks of pain with DD1 it was all too much. I was only 18 & didn't know how to get the support to keep going. I wanted to, but none of my friends or family knew anything about it, so couldn't help me. I asked my MCHN about the pain, apparently attatchment was perfect. No other suggestions. No offer of the advice of a LC or the ABA. Nothing. DD2 was 4 weeks & after thrush & cracks I just figured I was useless & gave up. Again not knowing where to go for support.
    With DS I told my MCHN I would not give up. She rang the LC for me & that, at 6 weeks, was my tuning point.
    I do feel ripped off that I was never offered any extra support, or even phone numbers at the start.
    Last edited by ~clover~; May 13th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Add Rach75 on Facebook

    Oct 2005
    Moura, QLD, Australia
    3,754

    i replied on fb but here's what i said again

    peter with my first son, I had heaps of colustrum the night before he was
    born, but nothing at all not a drop after, we tried for 4 days pumping attaching everything the hopsital could think of I had not one drop, he was
    FF in SC then these feeds were dropped and after 2 days of nothing but
    trying me he was getting sick...with my 2nd son I did ... See Moreeverything I could
    think of I had milk if I expressed the problem was I developed severe odema, and needed to go on medication which was not good for b/f mums I had to
    decide if my health was more important than b/f and yes it was if my health problems prevented me caring for a 3 year old and a newborn then that had to
    be the priority....also alternative therapys would be great unfortunalty I
    live in a small country mining town in QLD, the nearest specialists are 2
    hrs away...I was unable to find a altenative therepasit when TTC that was closer than 4-5hrs away...so sometimes there aren't any other alternatives

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Dec 2008
    8,986

    I couldn't BF because I didn't produce any milk. My baby didn't sleep and screamed for days, the MW kept telling me to persevere and that by the 3-4th day my milk would come in. It didn't. I made the decision to FF after the midwife gave my starving son a bottle of formula and he stopped crying instantly and slept! I went home from hospital with a stack of formula and a perfect baby.

    I didn't get and milk 2nd time around either but 3rd time I got a small amount in 1 breast but by that time I was already FF her so didn't 'bother' trying to BF.

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Dec 2005
    6,706

    I didn't get any medical diagnosis, but I suspect there is an underlying problem that is as yet undiagnosed. My breasts did not increase in size at all during my pregnancy, and I never had any colostrum leaks before birth.

    I gave birth prematurely at 36 weeks - to a baby that couldn't suck (low blood sugars, and very weak suck reflex), couldn't attach... I was in hospital with him for 10 days. During that time I pumped constantly - and after 10 days at each session on the pump I would be lucky to get barely 2mL of colostrum each time. Day 10 and it was still just colostrum and my milk had not come in.

    We came home - and I continued to pump, but it all became too much for me. When there was someone else to make up the bottles and clean everything for me, I could cope, but when I had to do everything - not happening.

    I lasted a few more days and then gave it away and went with full-time formula feeding.

    When my son was 8 weeks old I had to start taking a medication to hopefully keep my arthritis under control and allow me to care for my son in other ways. It's a dangerous medication - one that cannot even be handled by pregnant or breastfeeding women, so even if I had been able to, I would have needed to stop.

    When there's no milk, how do you feed? We tried medications to increase my supply, but they just didn't do enough quickly enough to make any difference.

    BW

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Feb 2008
    Near the Snowies!
    2,975

    I actually felt a bit offended by that post on FB...maybe FF isn't ideal, but you know I'd rather feed my DD formula than have her starve! No need to make mums that FF any worse about that decision.

    DD just never got the hang of latching on and sucking properly, we got little to no support from the hospital in helping me to try and BF her. A couple of the midwives were great, but it wasn't consistent. Living rurally there wasn't much opportunity to see a lactation specialist, and at the time I was much happier using formula than persisting with a screaming hungry baby trying to get her to latch on and feed. It was stressing me out and DD was distressed, so was much better for both of us to go down the FF route than trying to struggle on alone attempting to BF. I did try and express for a few weeks but realised I couldn't go on doing it as it was all just getting too overwhelming trying to get used to being a mum and looking after a newborn as well as trying to BF/express and I wasn't getting much milk out anyway.

    So for us I'm happy we went down the FF path, I think it created a closer bond than fighting each other trying to BF just for the sake of BF.

  6. #6
    BellyBelly Member

    Feb 2007
    On the beautiful Gold Coast!
    1,930

    With DD not milk came out... Drs figured my milk ducts must have been damaged during my breast reduction 2 yrs earlier.
    With DS I had NO support. I was told to feed him after he was born, the midwife left the room, came back & asked how I went. I told her he wouldnt attatch & I couldnt feed DD when she was born maybe this would be the same. She said probably & stuck him on formula. I got home, day 5 I noticed I was leaking from my nipples. Super excited I tried to attatch DS, he wouldnt attatch. I got a breast pump & got out a fair amount of collustrum. Gave that to him in the bottle. I tried to BF for about 6 weeks but ended up with an infection one of my nipples which I needed AB's for. My XH was very much against me BFing (long selfish story on his part) So I gave in.
    If I ever have a 3rd baby I WILL be BFing

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Add ~clover~ on Facebook

    Sep 2007
    travelling
    9,557

    I did repost the status, but I did make it clear under it why I did. I know people who couldn't BF for medical reasons. My aunt couldn't as she had to get straight back on her epilepsy medication after both children, a friend couldn't coz she had to have a blood transfusion after birth & was told her recovery would be too hard if her body was working to BF as well. So neither of them attempted, but had reasons.
    I reposted it because I know too many people who think it's not right, or didn't consider it, coz they just aren't interested in trying it out. My reason for reposting was because some people really don't get the benifits of it. They don't know how good it can be for them & their babies if they do succeed. Some of the younger mothers think that formula is better. I have friends who think they'll be avoiding BFing, coz the baby will sleep better on formula. IMO thats a pretty silly reason to go against BFing.
    I do not judge anyone who didn't, or couldn't BF. I was one of them. I just think so many people need so much more education on the subject. Even now with all the info out there.

  8. #8
    ♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

    Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    8,982

    ss_storm, I posted this in someone elses FB thread when someone said it made her feel like shiz.

    Mel didn't make you feel like ****... no-one can 'make' you feel anything. It is a hard position to be in but it's all about how we as an individual process and feel about it. One person using formula may be content in knowing they are nourishing their baby when nothing can. And others may be harboring feelings of guilt, resentment, failure... which is what makes us angry and/or lash out at others, when it is our own headspace than made us do it. *hugs* for all the mums out there. We're put into tricky positions all the time and we all deserve huge hugs and love x
    Remember before you get angry/offended at others, to think where those feelings of anger come from. Anger is secondary to another feeling - always. Like you could yell and scream at your child for touching a stove. They didn't make you angry. You're angry because you're scared they will hurt themselves, or angry because you feel like they don't listen to you when you tell them over and over again not to touch it.
    Kelly xx

    Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

  9. #9
    Registered User

    Dec 2007
    Taking a ride on my grdonkey :D
    2,716

    DD1's birth was traumatic - she was induced and born after four hours of absolute agony, and then I bled very nearly to death within minutes of delivering the placenta. I lost so much blood I needed three transfusions and my body just shut down in an attempt to heal. I was running on no sleep, the baby screamed constantly as I had no milk, I was still bleeding profusely and extended family thought it was fine for them to just roll up and bring all their friends and spend hours passing the baby back and forth... my stress levels were through the roof.
    DD1 was on the breast constantly for two out of every three hours... I was still getting no sleep. In between feeding, and during feeding, she would just scream and scream. Midwife said her attachment was 'perfect', but it was so incredibly painful I knew something had to be wrong.

    Two days later, my nipples were just about falling off me - bleeding, chapped, every time DD1 came near my chest I burst into tears and shrank away from her, knowing I was about to be in immense pain again. There was still no milk. I was still bleeding, sleepless, and a midwife had the nerve to harass me because my daughter crying at 4am because she was starving was 'disturbing the other babies' in the ward. I begged her to give DD formula, she refused. I kept trying to BF. I kept failing. The next midwife gave her a bottle and took her to the nursery for the night so I could sleep, and she said DD guzzled two lots of formula and slept perfectly through the night.

    On our way home from hospital, I stopped at Priceline and bought a breast pump, nipple shields, bottles and sachets of formula, intending to just get through this difficult period and then resume breastfeeding when my milk came in. It just never did. I was expressing for 30mins each side every 2.5 hours, and barely getting a drip to mix with formula to give to DD. I persisted for 6 whole weeks, and never got more than 10 or 20ml per express... I was losing even more sleep because when I SHOULD have been sleeping, I was expressing and trying to establish a supply. Nobody supported me - 'just give her formula if it's easier'. My mother (with whom DH and I were living at the time) would interrupt my attempts at BFing using a shield because someone had come over to see the new baby and mum refused to 'lose face' by telling them to call first or come back later (I was far too embarrassed to attempt BFing in front of anyone but DH until I got the hang of it - which I never did).
    I had no post-natal care, the midwives who performed DD's checkups never bothered to ask, just told me to keep expressing and changed the subject. I felt they'd already judged me as not caring enough or trying hard enough.

    At 6 weeks, I had a near-breakdown due to the lack of sleep and not coping well with the trauma of birth and adjusting to caring for a newborn. I fed DD1 a bottle of formula and she slept through for the first time since she'd been born. It was a sign - no more BFing. It wasn't working.

    It all went uphill from there and I've never looked back. I probably *could* have succeeded had I had more support, more resources, a professional who cared enough to actually find out WHY I wasn't producing milk (I'm assuming it was stress, my body in healing mode from the birth rather than putting energy into producing milk) and help me overcome it... but I really don't mind any more. When DD2 was born after a spontaneous natural labour, my milk came in straight away and we successfully BF'd for nearly 6 months without even trying - it just worked. So I know now that I CAN BF, given the right circumstances. The odds were just not in my favour first time around and I don't mind, I've made my peace with it

    FWIW re CM etc, well, it's very hard living in a regional area with no resources (I didn't even have access to Community Health nurses as the building was closed for renovations and so middies were not providing ANY services during those months, not even the typical home visits etc). DH and I don't have health cover, and very little money to spare on 'luxuries' like medical care (we see a bulk-billing doctor and now that I've lost my HCC privileges - due to being approx $4 over the threshold! - we don't usually bother to get prescriptions filled unless we're going to be much worse off without medication, kwim?) so Chinese medicine was both 'unnecessary' and unavailable to us at the time. We wouldn't have known to even look for it, really - we had no support from anybody, no resources to get information or advice


    ETA: re the Pepsi v Coke analogy... well, if we were on a desert island and starving, I'd feed them KFC before letting them go hungry!!
    Last edited by Glamourcide; May 13th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Registered User

    May 2008
    Darwin
    349

    My milk never came in with DD, and we were in hospital for a week trying to establish feeding and milk supply - I tried to feed her for another 2 weeks after we got home from hospital, and she would cry and be hungry all the time. The midwife at the mum's group I attended said that I wasn't producing milk because I didn't really want to feed my baby and that I needed to attach DD all the time to encourage my milk production and stop being selfish, so I did. I sat home, rarely left the house and had DD attached all the time except when she slept (which was rare as she was hungry all the time!). By nipples were red raw and I cried nearly all the time from pain, exhaustion and hopelessness. I tried to express and after a dose of mastitis reduced the 15ml I was getting from my left breast to nil, and my right breast could only just produce 20ml a day I went back to by OBGYN and he said that I wasn't producing enough for DD, she was losing weight rapidly and that I should put her on formula as it was the best option for all of us. I intially started supplement feeding and kept trying to BF to see if anything would impove, but my breaking point came a few days after my visit to the OBGYN when one of the midwives at the new mum's group I attended made me sit and feed DD for 30mins solid after I told her about my visit to my OBGYN. She said he didn't know what he was talking about, that a man doesn't know anything about breast feeding, sat me down, attached DD and wouldn't let me give her a bottle even though she was screaming because she was hungry and I had nothing for her. Again, she told me that I wasn't producing milk because my heart wasn't in it, and I was being selfish by depriving my daughter and was looking for excuses and convenient ways to avoid having to BF. This went on for 30 minutes before I packed up and left while the midwife went to the toilet and I could 'escape'.

    Needless to say the emotional wreck that called my DH was no longer his wife - it was an emotionally destroyed woman who was made to feel and think she was the biggest failure and worst mother in history. DH called the midwife to give her a serve and to date I have never gone back and never spoken to the midwife again. And I refused to let DD go to the baby clinic, all her checks, immunisations and everything have been done by our family GP and the private paediatrician since that day.

    My experience is one I would never wish on anyone, but I am still an advocate for breastfeeding, and I hope to breastfeed successfully when we have another child. This doesn't change the fact that formula saved my sanity and my daughter's life, and she is the happiest toddler I could ever have imagined, and the change in her as a baby when she started formula was amazing and it was wonderful to have a happy baby who didn't cry constantly simply because she was starving and slept soundly with a full tummy. And I still had eye contact and gently stroked her face and held her close while she was bottle feeding, just as I did when I was trying to BF and DD and I are as bonded as you could imagine, despite the midwife telling me that DD wouldn't bond with me if I didn't BF.

    I did what I had to do for our daughter's health and I have no regrets, and I would do it all again in a heartbeat if necessary.

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Jul 2006
    Melbourne
    4,895

    Firstly, I just want to say to come of the mums that had such a difficult time trying to bf/establish bf & little or no support a huge *hug*

    In response to your questions, my answers follow:

    On what basis did you come to the conclusion that you were unable to bf, that you "had no choice"? Was it diagnosed by a Dr/Midwife/Lactation Consultant (trained & qualified)?
    On what basis was that diagnosis/decision made?


    I didn't really come to a conclusion that I was 'unable' to bf or that I had 'no choice'. I found bf extremely difficult & frustrating. I am a very emotionally closed person & I don't think it was until day 7 or 8 after having my DD that I actually cried b/c of how tired and distressed I was over trying to establish bf. It was my full intention to bf until DD was approx. 12 months old (or longer or shorter depending on personal circumstances) and I read alot on forums (like BB) and went to the hospitals lactation class - which IMO was not that beneficial in hindsight - too clinical and pretending to BF a doll does not lead to successful bf / bf estalishment. My gf even bought me a bf pillow & I watched my friends bf their children (my mum did not bf for long periods of time) I found attachment difficult & DD constantly falling asleep on my breast whilst only feeding for a short period of time (ie: minutes) but perservering at all hours in the morning/day/night to feed for over an hour at times so DD would settle to sleep - which she did not. The midwives suggested comp feeding with formula & the change was immediate with my DD - she looked content and slept. So, the routine was I would bf, top up with formula if she needed it (which she did) and then express to encourage my supply. This wasn't commenced until about day 5/6 after DD was born and what I did express appeared to be still colostrum & approx. 2 ml. I also ended up with mastitis in hospital, which was surprising considering I was bf & expressing. The final crunch came when a midwife sat with me one morning (approx. breakfast time) and suggested I stay in hospital longer (I was already on day 8) and continuing what I was doing or put DD onto forumla. I broke down in tears. I decided I did not have the strength (emotionally) to bf, express & comp feed so made the decision after chatting to DH to put her on formula. I was also referred to a counsellor for suspected PND - I was diagnosed with anxiety over bf establishment.

    "did you try CM approaches to the problem before going straight to formula or other methods; if so did they work, what were they, etc? If not, why not? Were you aware that CM could help you in that situation? If the same situation came up, would you try CM

    As answered above, I tried a combination of bf, expressing & comp feeding prior to putting DD exclusively on formula. No other methods were tried or even considered. I was not aware that CM could help. If the same situation came up, I would try alternative methods but probably not CM.