Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the benefits of BF'ing DD beyond 12 months?

Thank you SO much everyone for your replies .

Bath - Thanks for pointing out the benefits for myself . It definitely helps me see things differently. And you're right, it really is for such a short period of my life in the scheme of things.

Jennifer - Well done on BF'ing your DD! What an amazing effort . Your DD sounds like she has an awesome immune system!! I've also recently discovered how great vapourisers are!

Kungfubecca - Thanks for sharing. It sounds like weaning your DS was stress free .

Thanks for the link Heaven, it is just what I needed

sloane - Yep, I love the excuse to sit down for 5 or 10 minutes too .

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. After reading all of your responses and having a chat to DH about it all, I feel comfortable continuing BF'ing DD for much longer now. DH was great and really supportive of BF'ing DD beyond 12 months, I think this clinched the deal for me knowing he didn't feel weird about it IYKWIM?

You have all helped take the weight from my shoulders .

I know how you are feeling, I felt the same way at one point!

What kept me going was thinking.... what makes yesterday different from today... where is the line between 'baby and 'toddler' anyway? What makes 11 months and 4 weeks of age different to 12 months, or 12 months and 4 weeks? Or... well I oculd go on. But just saying, I always thought there'd be that 'line' that I could draw to say when I'd finish... but it never did. I was never feeding my baby, or my toddler. I was just feeding my child, and she never stopped being that

I can't help with the physical benefits, but I just love that time, it's such a nice time for closeness, for love, for cuddles, for nourishing my child in every sense of the word! And, ideas from the Dalai Lama himself... Breastfeeding is so much more than just breastmilk. It is affection, of compassion. There is no greater expression of love than a mothers breastmilk.

Nawww Leasha, what a lovely post *sniff* . It's funny how we draw that line and then when we reach it, the line seems blurry.

BF'ing just for the snuggles and closeness is so worthwhile, I think I'm sold LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post

They are little for such a short time, and breastfeeding supports children emotionally, nutrionally as well as immunobiologically.

ETA: the world wide average for weaning is 4, so obviously there is a lot to be said for continuing beyond 12 months. I would never get DD off the boob without force, and that tells me she still needs it.
    Exactly that above :yeahthat: and the other posters have covered most of what I was going to say! re: benefits etc.

I always thought I'd stop feeding DD once we reached 12mths but that was when she was only 2 or 3mths old but I didn't realise the bond we created just through BF would be so strong and that by 12mths we would be enjoying it so much that we wouldn't want to stop. Nor did I realise how much my little girl just LOVES her booby time!!! It feels totally normal and natural to be feeding my now 18mo baby girl and we love it. It's also a chance for me to sit down and rest throughout the day and take time out with her.
    It also helps when she's hurt, tired, scared etc..... we use it alot for comfort. I can't see her weaning herself anytime soon.......

More people out there BF toddlers than we realise, we just don't see it much as most people wait til they get home to do it

I think toddlers at 12mths, even 18mths are still very much babies, just babies on wheels!!! (ie walking!) and very much still need it! Otherwise all of them would be weaning themselves by 12mths

I recently read a book about BF toddlers and children and it stated that the easiest time to wean a baby/child is before they reach 12mths. After this time, it can be harder to wean them later on..... something to consider. Again, that wouldn't be true for every child though.

Congrats on making it this far!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12