Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to try peanuts?

Exclamation when to try peanuts?

sophie is now almost 19 months and im yet to try peanuts or peanut butter, there is no real history of food allergies in the family ive just never got around to trying sophie with it, so how do i go about it? just give hera sandwich with peanut butter?

We gace Yasin apeanut butter sandwich when he was 2. He loved it and had no problems.
    Imran started himself on peanut butter sandwiches by nicking Yasin's when he was a bit older than a year.
    I decided after that to keep feeding him peanut butter although it was long before the recomened time because an allergic reaction is the immune system having a spack attack over the wrong thing and it's thought to be the frequent exposure to trace amounts of peanuts that makes it such a comon allergen so once he'd had it I though that full exposure was the best path to follow. So far no issues.

might try it this morning

I thought it was 2 years for peanut butter? Maybe I'm confusing it with other stuff though LOL.

When I trialled peanut butter with Matilda, I tried a quarter of a peanut butter & jam sandwich (the american in me :P) she didn't like it. So I tried it again later, and she still doesn't like it. Matilda didn't test positive to peanuts when she had her allergy testing.. so with Jovie I was planning on the same thing, trialling 1/4 sandwich and seeing how she goes.

With allergies its either an instant reaction, or gradual... so start with a tiny amount and then the next day a bit more etc etc...

I meant to add, I have a friend who has no history of allergy in their family, and their son has some severe allergies. So, sometimes it just happens.

As far as I know it's 2 years.

jols - aston LOVES peanut butter. He stole some of Laura's toast with it on... so introduction was before I had planned... but as they say best laid plans of mice and men often go right out the window...especially with no. 3

oh bugger didnt realise it was 2!! will waith then!! thanks chicks!

I think it's two for children without a history of food allergies, and 3 if they have other allergies. Jack has had a food allergy before so we waited until a month before he was 3 and he was fine. We haven't tried Tom yet.

Funny story...my DH gave my 18mth old nephew a piece of toast with peanut butter on it, THEN asked me if it was alright if he could have it. By the time I said 'NO' and found the little tike, he had already eaten it and was asking for more . Peanut butter sangas are now his fav

In NZ the info handed out by Plunket lists smooth peanut butter as suitable for 8-9 months olds, and only suggests holding off until 3 if there is a history of nut allergies.

Don't ask me, I'm a naughty one when it comes to these things. I had nuts while pregnant, DD had cow's milk yoghurt and cheese and eggs from 6 or 7 months and peanut butter sandwiches every now and then from about 8 or 9 months.
    There are NO allergy cases in either DHs or my families, not even a slight case of hey fever. So I didn't worry about these things.

Sasa

My girls started on peanut butter pretty young. around 18 months - 2.

Just remember no actual nuts til over 5 though. So no crunchy pb. They can't digest them.

Ummm at our 12-mth-checkup with the MCN she said we could be eating everything now - she suggested we smear peanut butter on his wrist first and see if there was a reaction. There was none, so gave him a little peanut butter and he's fine! I also feed him macademia cookies ;D

Like Sasa, I had nuts while preggers. I figure that heck, I'm not allergic, so bugger if I'm going to deny his immune system from developing recognition.

(darn, now I want toast with peanut paste)

But nut allergies can happen in families without history of it. I know that we often think "it was okay for x ... it should be okay for me" But I just don't feel its always worth it.

My children have food allergies, but neither DH or I had issues. In our families its only now that allergies are coming out.

As Christy said, nut allergies do happen in families with no history - like mine! Neither DP nor I have any food allergies whatsoever but DD has a severe peanut allergy and a mild egg allergy. My boss has 3 daughters and has no family history of allergies either. He ate some peanuts, kissed his youngest daughter and she had an anaphylactic reaction.

It just goes to show that you can never be too careful.

Of course it can happen. The likelihood is just way lower. And we still don't really now what makes some people allergic and some not. There is still a very heated debate even amongst the experts especially regarding exposure to allergens in the womb, whether it can predispose babies to an allergy or whether it can help them in tolerating those foods.

I just made that choice for myself. I don't buy into this whole hysteria (I know, crucify me) but that's exactly why i said that I'm naughty when it comes to these things. I just wonder why since we have all become so careful have allergies been on the rise rather than on the decline.

I'm not advocating that that's what others should be doing, just saying, that that's what I did.

Sasa
    *hiding in the corner now, fully expecting to be stoned*

I don't buy into this whole hysteria
    I'm not going to crucify you, but I honestly think this is something that is troubling me. Children die from these reactions, its not hysteria. If your child was one out of the one hundred with the allergy, you wouldn't think it was hysteria.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast