Thread: World Cancer Research Recommends Breastfeeding to Prevent Cancer

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Exclamation World Cancer Research Recommends Breastfeeding to Prevent Cancer

Landmark report recommends breastfeeding to prevent cancer

The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has published the most comprehensive report ever on the link between cancer and diet, physical activity and weight.

One of only ten recommendations is that women should aim to breastfeed their baby exclusively for six months, and then continue with complementary breastfeeding after that.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/pdfs/...nd_2007-10.pdf

Recommendation Nine

(Special Populations - Recommendation One)

Mothers to breastfeed; children to be breasted

This is one of the first breastfeeding recommendations given in a cancer prevention report, and is based on convincing evidence that breastfeeding protects both the mother and child.

The report recommends that if women are able to, they should aim to breastfeed their baby exclusively for six months, and then continue with complementary breastfeeding after that.

There is convincing evidence that breast feeding protects against pre-menopausal
    and post-menopausal breast cancer. There is also limited evidence that it protects against cancer of the ovary.

There is also evidence that being breastfed probably protects babies from becoming overweight or obese in later life.

Scientists think that breastfeeding lowers the levels of some cancer-related hormones in the mother's body, which reduces the risk of breast cancer. At the end of breastfeeding, the body gets rid of any cells in the breast that may have DNA damage. This reduces the risk of breast cancer in the future.

The 1997 report did not make a specific breastfeeding recommendation.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

For those who find this study upsetting or confronting, it would be great if you could please read the below article before commenting. It's important that you see this as an informational post like any other and not an attacking post on FF'ers. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad just pass on studies. Just a disclaimer before I get into trouble from someone.

Artificial Feeding - Nothing To Do With Breastfeeding
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I don't think it will cause offense to anyone.

I have just read the article, and would encourage everyone else to have a read too.

That's interesting the part about the breasts getting rid of cells with damaged DNA at the end of breastfeeding....I've never heard that before what amazing bodies we have

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 20th, 2008 at 10:24 AM.