Thread: Att: full-time pumpers!!

Default Att: full-time pumpers!!

After 13 weeks of troubled feeding I am at my wits end. DS became ill at 3 weeks and was diagnosed with breastmilk colitis and after putting it off at seven weeks I eventually had to put him on a special formula for three days to clear up the blood in his stools, during this time I got mastitis, my supply dropped, and Hamish fell in love with the bottle. After building my milk back up and continuing to BF we also realised that Hamish's screaming was not related to his bottom end at all but that he had silent reflux. He also has a preference for one breast over the other, hates my fast let down which chokes him,so I've been using a shield with one hole in it so he can suck it through at his own pace and now he refuses to go without it, etc, etc. I've tried pretty much everything to keep him on the breast but feeding him in public is a complete nightmare and have found he only really relaxes during his morning (breast)feed and on the bottle.
    (Anyhow sorry about the rant) I have basically decided I'm going to express all feeds (so I can add thickener and/or Gaviscon, etc) and am after recommendations for electric pumps, as well as any tips on how to make this work for us. I have been looking at the Medela "Swing" and the Ameda "Purely Yours" (?) Does anyone use either of these pumps??
    Thanks in advance girlies-- sorry to rave.
    xo

Last edited by Hope; October 18th, 2007 at 08:51 PM.

I have a cleft lip and palette baby so am exclusively expressing. I have an Ameda Purely yours and its great. You can control how fast and how hard it sucks. I get just as much with it as I did at the hospital. Just a note... If you can keep bub at the breast at all , do it!! Even once a day. Without stimulation from bubba, keeping up supply is hard!! I put bub on BB even though he cant suck just to keep the hormones aflowing!!! Congrats on still wanting your little one to get the best milk possible!! A little hint... double pumping is best, but annoying to hold both on at the same time... I cut vertical slits in an old maternity bra. I put the flanges through and clip up the bra. Hands free pumping!!!

Leah, you've been through so much with your little man. I know how hard it is, almost six months on Nicky only relaxes for about half of his feeds, the bottle is just too appealing to him I'm afraid.

I would seriously consider hiring a commercial grade pump. I had the Medela Lactina, and the Whittlestone and both were great. I'd recommend the Medela for you though. It shouldn't cost more than $25/week. I know it seems like alot, but it's worth it, they work so much better. I thought about buying something like the Medela Swing (which is meant to be really good) but my LC advised me against it. She said if I could afford it I would be better off with the real deal.

It's up to you hun, but, as I'm sure you know, exclusively pumping is very difficult work, and it's going to be a challenge for you to keep your supply going. That's not to say that you can't do it! You'll just be busy Anything that makes it easier I say.

Good luck and keep in touch

ok you just described pretty much what I went through with my son Isaac ..

I started fully expressing at 7 weeks and we made it to 10 months using the medela pump. We hired it from a local medical supplier...

That's a great effort Nic, well done!

Leah, I hired mine from the local chemist, most of them have the Medela.

I've got the Medela Swing and found it to be really good - but I am not expressing full time so that may make a difference. You are doing a wonderful job Leah

thanks Sez

Thanks for your support SEZ, MICHELLE, NIC and JODIE! I'm trying not to let myself be "defeated" by a 13 week old baby but it's bloody hard. He's been ok the last couple of days but I have been at home where it is all just so much easier. He does however REFUSE to go on without the shied but I figure that's the least of my problems. Maybe I can just express for when I am out? Still considering all my options at the mo. Thanks JODIE for your "tricks" the maternity bra one is gold!!
    I'm still looking at electric pumps so any other recommendations would be appreciated. I'll look into hire too SEZ. Does the ABA have the "industrial strength" model?
    xo

Hpe: the ABA does hire the blue one. you have to join them and then you get the pump for a certain price. I didn't join them cus I didn't know how long I was going to pump for

You ladies who pump to give your children the best are amazing. I'm not sure I would have the passion for breastmilk if I had to struggle so hard. You deserve a big pat on the back. Way to go!

Hi,
    Joining the Australian Breastfeeding Association is a great deal whether you end up breastfeeding/pumping long term or not! You get linked in with a network of other mothers many of whom will have "been there and done" what you are going through. It costs $50 to join and $25 if you are on a healthcare card. A fabulous side benefit is that you then get breastpump hire for 1/2 price. If you follow the links in my signature, you will be able to find a group in your local area that hires the pumps. Groups will usually hire Medela Symphony, Medela select and Ameda.
    Warm Regards
    Barb

There you go Leah, that sounds like a great idea! And yeah, if you can double pump it's great.....I love your idea Jodie, that's fabulous! Thinking outside the square

I have used both the Medela "Swing" and the Ameda "Purely Yours". I ended up buying the swing as it is thesame strength as the Medela "Symphony" I used in the hospital, it is worth buying if you are pumping long term.

I have a simialr problem with my DD and feeding in public because of a nipple shield and the angle she feeds on so she has bottle of EBM when we go out.

I expressed fulltime until my daughter was 11 months old (we found out recently she has low muscle tone in her neck, which explains why she couldn't latch on properly even though we tried for 4 months!)...tried hard to get to the year but then got gastro and just couldn't face expressing, so thought I'd give myself a break!

It is hard but worth it.

I am in the UK, but I hired an Ameda Egnell Elite pump, don't know if you can get them there - and it was fantastic!!

Marion
    Last edited by mmack; October 25th, 2007 at 04:52 PM.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Hope - you are amazing to keep going. I joined the ABA too but didn't hire from them at the time - they didn't have the Elite. Thye were great I went to lots of meetings for support and encouragement

I used the Ameda Elite (hospital grade) that I hired for 3 months then I bought the Ameda Purely yours - it was fantastic.

I am actually selling it if you interested. I have lots of extra bits because I hired and had to buy the double collection kit $82 to start with.

I pumped exclusively for one twin for 5 months and then one day he took to the breast and is going strong at 15 months.

TRISH!!! You would not believe it but I bought one this morning!!!! I ended up going for the "Purely Yours" as well. I actually got it from an American company and it was still about $70 cheaper to do that with postage than it was to buy it in Aus. Thanks anyway. And aren't you a good woman to pump and feed two bubbas-- you must have been buggered!!
    I'm really looking to use the pump to boost my supply as I went from having an over-supply to hardly any when Hamish became ill and because he'll now only feed with a shield I'll express for when I'm out-- like BLACK ROSE (Hamish is only 1 day older than Adele-- 20/07). I used EBM the other day and it really took the pressure off. The shield is a royal pain in the backside! Plus I'm a high school teacher and don't fancy being spotted by my students in public with my boobs hanging out-- certainly would be interesting conversation for "little lunch"!
    Hamish has been feeding really well (at home) so I'm feeling much better about everything and am still holding onto the hope that I may be able to get him off the shield at some stage-- he;s pretty much in love with it at the mo.
    xo

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

good luck - yes the US dollar is certainly a bonus atm. Postage is a killer normally - did you check the AC /power adapter ? .

Yes I'll have to use an adapter. We already have one so not too worried about that. I got it for $235 including postage and that was the one with the carry-all bag, insulated cooler and extra 4 bottles! It was $270 for the bare bones pump and then postage on top through mothers direct. I like to buy Australian but it was too good an offer.