Thread: Can I use ice cube trays to freeze breast milk?

Default Can I use ice cube trays to freeze breast milk?

Is it ok/safe to use ice cube trays to freeze breast milk? Or does it really need to be stored in sealed containers?

CatherineL Guest

I do Kellie - But my trays have lids.

A bit different I know but I freeze food for Iz in ice cube trays and then as soon as they are frozen I pop them out into zip lock bags. Tupperware sell ice cube trays with lids I think.

CatherineL Guest

Maybe you could stack up your trays in a bigger container so the milk doesn't get freezer burn? Just another thought...

Or maybe put the tray in a large ziplock bag or freezer bag while it's freezing?

definately tupperware does sells the ones with an liquid and air tight seal this is what i used then when the tray was frozen i'd pop them in zip lock bags with the date written on it then start again

I too used the Tupperware trays, but I'm not sure that it's ok to put in a ziplock bag afterwards. If you can't freeze the milk in the bags (it is not known if chemicals leach out of the bag), then surely you also can't store frozen cubes in there? Or am I off track?

Yes. Freeze them in a freezer bag

Barb

Barb - do you mean put normal icecube trays in freezer bags and then tie up the bags?

I sell tupperware and the icetrays are perfect for freezing bubs food and EMB and yes you can then just pop the cubes out and put into another container in the frindge (more tupperware perhaps?) They have a new icetray (new to the spring/summer range) which has little silicone 'nipples' on the bases so you just push the soft nipple and you can pop out just the one cube instead of having them all fall out when trying to get the one out. Oh, and it still has the lid to stop freezer smells/taste and burn too.
    Tupperware is great for kids foods and freezing coz they have made surethat there is nothing harmful that is going to 'leak' into the foods stored in it.

HTH