Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused - demand feed / scheduled feeding

Hey Sez, I don't think we're referring to your post (that wasn't the one I thought we were talking about!) Hopefully you haven't taken offense, and of course you know what your baby needs more than anyone! I think someone posted a general comment about 'babies' in general...

Michelle I think your doing a great job, keep listening to your heart and don't worry what other people are doing if it doesn't sit right with you. The best thing I did was stop looking at the clock it was driving me nuts trying to make feeds three hourly, I also found that my little ones did better sleeping in the room next to ours, close enough so I could here them before they got too upset but far enough away so that we didn't disturb each other. This is a personal thing though and I know that a lot of people co sleep well. Best wishes. AND YES IT DOES GET BETTER it just happens at different times for different bubs

Oh no Amy, I didn't take any offense! Not at all, I was just clarifying what I meant And yep, I saw the post everyone's referring to.

Thanks guys. I guess I am more vulnerable after all the initial difficulties we had with breastfeeding. I still have moments of concern that my supply is adequate and any comment relating to overnight feeding just hits a sensitive spot - especially when IRL there are always the comments of does he sleep through.

Sez - it wasn't your comment at all. It was a comment written elsewhere that made me question my practice. And you should have called me when Nicky was feeding - I was up 4 times to feed from midnight

HI Michelle.
    SOunds like we have been having very similar problems and with bubs much the same age.

Up to 2 weeks ago ashley was feeding on demand - about every 2 hours and then 1 or 2 times over night (usually 12 midnight and 3 am before see woke again at 6am).

I wanted to make her go longer so that she feed for longer (rather than snacking every 2 hours - she would only take 1 breast) and so i had time to do things (she wouldnt take a bottle/cup) so i would only ever have 1 hour to rush to the shop/have a hair cut etc....

So i just did it and it was hard. I went to 4th hourly feeds - the first day she didnt knowwhat was going on and would only take 1 breast and then got hungry again - soon she realised that she needs to fill up more and now she takes 2 breasts each feed and feeds longer on each.

As for nights i went cold turkey. SOmeone said to me once - if you are happy to continue waking at 12 and 3 am keep going but if you want her to change then you have to stick with it for at least 3 days.....

So i stopped night feeds - it was hard the first few nights were hard and i did it on a weekend so hubby was there to help. She woke like 5 times but i settled her back without a feed.

Now she will go to sleep at 630pm (have a dream feed at 9pm) and then sleep till 5am. which i dont mind feeding her at 5am (better than up 3 times!!)...

BUt it wasnt easy and there were times i thought oh she would take 1 minute to settle with a feed rather than 15 minutes rocking/patting but i am glad i stuck with it - i have had 6 hours solid sleep most nights and now i can stay up to 10pm to watcha movie with dh rather than going to bed at 8pm because i knew i had to be up all night.

The problem i have now is bub seems to be hungrier (finally takes a cup) and i think the change in my bb's from 2 - 4 hourly and no over nights cut my supply a little. So from advice from girls here i am going to let her have 3-4 hourly feeds to ensure she gets an extra 1 -2 feeds in a day so she isnt hungry.

Also she has solids as well

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions i am happy to tell!!!

Oh i forgot.
    Ashley is in her own room too.
    I found that myself or dh would wake her through the night (coughing /snoring whatever) and she would wake me with all her noises and neither of us (although dh did lol) had great sleeps.

The first night she went to her own room (at 3 months) is when she went from 2 hourly feeds over night to 1-2 feeds overnight and it was bliss for everyone as she woke rested and so did i.

I have the monitor on low so i only hear her if she is awake - cause otherwise if she is semi awake and lets out sobs she often settles herself and then it doesnt wake me up - which is course causes me to run to her and wake her up fully..

???

Thank you PrincessMya. Unfortunately we have tried the cot in the other room without success. Our little man is yet to learn to self settle effectively

However, on a positive note his late evening feeds were 3 hourly twice last night and he had a 2 hour morning sleep in the hammock this morning (and spent most of last night there too!!) so things are looking up.

Great news about the hammock, Michelle! I've *got* to get one of those for my next baby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12