Thread: Gastro & BF

Default Gastro & BF

Hi this might sound a silly question but i have had the gastro for 2 days now & i'm wondering if i could pass this on to my DD through BF. I have been trying to keep my fluids up but its a bit hard when you don't feel like eating or drinking anything especially when it comes back up not long after.
    Thanks

From what I know Bf is the best thing to keep doing to prevent your DD getting it.

for you though. I had gastro once when I was Bf and it was not pleasant. If you are concerned try and limit all other contact with your DD except for feed times

Big hugs Jo. It's the pits isn't it!

As Nic says, bfing is the best thing you can do for your DD. You will be passing on immunity to her. It's no guarantee that she won't get it, but most of the time they don't. Mine never did. I hope in your case your DD stays well.

Thanks guys, i just worry about her getting it because i know how bad it makes you feel & i wouldn't want her to suffer with it.

Jo

I had a bug early in the bf journey (I think he was around 6 wks old) ... doc told me to buy some electrolytes stuff as well to help to keep up the other essentials in your body. You can get the ice blocks or the powder to make up in water. Just keep sipping smaller amounts of fluids throughout the day rather than "drink" IYKWIM. I really hope you get better soon hun

I do KWYM Jo. Luckily these bugs don't pass through bm so they are less likely to get it when bfing due to the immunity. I hope you are feeling better.

Hi,
    This might all be a bit late now, but gastro is passed from hand to mouth contact, so handwashing is important! If she get gastro this will be the route of transmission - it's not transmitted via breastmilk. Your breastmilk will be protective
    Warm Regards
    Barb

Another question in regard to this (sorry to hijack for a moment, Jo - I do hope you get better soon and your DD doesn't catch the nasty bug): DD and I have both been sick the last couple of days. Is it right to continue to bfeed as normal? She throws it up, but I figured it is best for her to have the fluids even though it has fat that might upset her tummy more. Was that the right thing to do, or should I have offered water more than bmilk?
    Thanks for any opinions, and again sorry to hijack your thread, Jojo.

amy i think BM is still the best thing for her, it will contain antibodies which she needs to help fight the bug, keep up the good work!!

Hi, Snacks,

When your child is ill it's one of the times that you can be really, really glad you kept breastfeeding. You are doing all the right things - just keep breastfeeding her. No water necessary. Just try giving her small, frequent feeds
    Hope you are better soon
    Barb

thank god for this thread
    just came into post about the same thing - both me and DH have gastro or have eaten something bad and i'm so worried about passing this on
    i'm going to the doc in the morning but its nice to know I should keep feeding
    mel

Thanks AJP and Barb. We had a pretty ordinary night last night, but she seems in better spirits this morning. Will keep going as we have been until she's well.
    Hope you and your DH are better soon, Mel. It is so horrible, isn't it? Hoping your DS doesn't catch it.

If your children are 8 weeks or older and have had the rota-virus vaccine, they should be protected from Gastro????

Not all strains I thought, Julia. The Rota-virus vaccine protects baby against rota-virus, which is a particularly nasty gastro bug, but it doesn't protect them against all gastro bugs. That's what I was led to believe anyway.

Hi,

The rotavirus vaccine protects agains only one strain of rotavirus - there are many others, as well as other causes of gastro. Breastfeeding protects babies against rotavirus. Recently the government has poured $25 million into this vaccine. Imagine if that money had been used to support mothers to breastfeed
    Barb

Amy & Mel hope you & your bubs are better soon. I'm over the worst now luckily my bub hasn't shown any signs of the bug so i think she's safe. Barb i'm pretty obsessive about handwashing anyway but have also been using the antibacterial hand gel, my DD is at that age where she is sucking everything. After reading all this i'm so glad i breastfeed.

That's a point, Barb. I think vaccines are important, but I certainly agree, there are many illnesses in babies that could be prevented if the government provided more support for women to breastfeed...
    Thanks Jo. So glad you're on the mend and your little girl is still well