Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Expressing & Storing EBM.

Sorry, can't help you with that one.

Quick question here. I have just started expressing and I am using the Avent sterilised bags, but I am having a hard time working out how much I have expressed. Do I leave them in the holder for the reading or flatten the bag out of a little? There isn't a huge difference in the readings, but I am a little confused.

hmmm I dunno! lol I would think when its in the holder would be more accurate.

This is a fairly basic question but I just wanted to make sure it was OK to store EBM in the freezer in the bottle that I expressed into. It has a screw lid with one of those little plastic covers on it. I have also put the bottle into a zip lock bag.

This is my first time freezing EBM so when I go to use it how far in advance should I take it out of the freezer - basically I have no idea how to thaw it!

TIA
    Jem

Yes its fine to use the bottle you expressed into. Just remember where it is incase you need it later on though LOL.
    when you thaw it, it will depend on how fast you want to use it. Its best to put it in the fridge overnight & let it thaw that way but you can also use warm (not hot) tap water & run that over the bottle while rotating it to thaw it out to be used straight away.

eta - Previously frozen & thawed in refrigerator (leaving it in the fridge to thaw over night) but not warmed can be kept at room temperature 4 hours or less (ie the next feeding). Can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Do not refreeze.

Thawed outside refrigerator in warm water can be kept for completion of feeding. If thawed in warm water but NOT given to baby straight way can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 hours or until next feeding. Do not refreeze.

Once your baby has begun feed, breastmilk should then only be kept for completion of feeding, then discarded.

Thanks heaps FJ. You are a wealth of knowledge !!

Why do you have to discard BM that has been started by bubs?

Is it because it's been heated? Or because it's been at bub's lips?

I'm struggling at the moment to get enough to feed him and I don't want to waste a drop!!

Hi,

Because when the bottle is in your baby's mouth, it will get the bacteria from your baby's mouth - which may grow better in a warm environment.
    But, breastmilk is pretty tough stuff, and contains factors which inhibit the growth of bacteria. Unfortuantely some of the info we get is extrpolated from formula feeding. - so use your own judgement a little.
    Many mothers find it helpful to store milk in smaller quantities - say 50mls, so that if baby suddenly doesn't want it we haven't wasted too much.
    How old is your baby now?

Barb

Thanks for the clarification.

My little prince will be a week old tomorrow!

Unfortunately I don't have many bottles as he has a cleft palate and we need to use special teats so I tend to fill the bottles which means more wastage. I may look at storing the milk in 'normal' bottles and then we can just put the milk in the special bottles as he needs it to minimise wastage.

Even 50 mls takes me about 5 mins to express so it's all a little devestating to discard any...

Barb maybe you can corect me if I am wrong but I though the reason you need to discard milk once its the feed has comenced is because the saliva from the babies mouth may also enter the bottle & start to breakdown the milk, the same thing happens when you start a feed of solids, its generally much more watery by the end of the feed because teh saliva on the spoon has started the process KWIM?

Nettie, you need a big round of appluse for giving your bub BM when things are stacked against you with the your DS having a cleft palate. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to establish a good supply with just the breastpump & hand expressing.
    Get yourself some cheap normal bottles so you can store more milk. The junk shops like the reject shop or go low (not sure what you have in SA, the names seems to differ state to state) often have the smaller 100ml bottles pretty cheap. Also sometimes chemist with have them.
    Check out the MothersDirect online shop via the ABA website also, they have a few nifty things for storing BM. There is a fairly new product that is like a ice cube tray that you can store BM in.
    Anything you can label, has an airtight seal & can be disenfected will be suitable for storing BM.

Good Luck!
    I think another BB member who is BFing a cleft Bubba is PurpleMumma, her DS is older & has had his repaired but I am sure she would be happy to help with any questions you may have.

FionaJill - thanks for the info.

We've started a system of storing the BM in a bigger container once expressed, then putting moderate amounts in a bottle at feeding time. This way we're not wasting as much. Only about 10 - 20 mls gets wasted if any.

Seeing as he's only 1 week & 1 day old, we're probably doing ok with figuring things out! This is also only his fourth day at home... we'll get it figured!

I expressed more than 150 mls this morning, so the supply is certainly getting there! Especially as he's only taking between 50 - 80 mls a feed (3 hourly approx).

Thanks for your support.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I can't find EBM bags, where do you all get them from?

Most chemists should stock them. Or you can order them online from mothersdirect via the Australian breastfeeding Association website.

Danni, I found they were getting harder to find not long before I stopped expressing. As FJ said you can get them from Mothers' Direct, and some pharmacies still have them - try the bigger ones. But one of the companies stopped making them so there are fewer around. I switched to the Avent reusable cups near the end as they ended up cheaper.

Hi ladies, just wanted to say that I was going to use the bags but then at the chemist I found Avent "VIA" products. Basically they are containers that you can express straight into using your Avent breast pump and attaching an adaptor onto it. Then when it's done you can label them and pop them straight in the freezer. I've been using them for the last couple of days and for me it's a lot easier to store in the freezer because the containers are stackable. I also prefer it because it means that at day care they just need to attach the teat onto it and it's ready to go (in my head that means less handling and less contamination).

The containers double up for when bub starts eating solids too, so I know I'll get a lot more use out of them. They come sterilised and ready to go!

if i store the ebm in the fridge and then want to use it the next day, do i heat it up when i want to use it, or get it out in the morning and leave at room temp? What temp should ebm be served at?

With how warm it has still bean I personally wouldn't leave it out to come to room temp on its own.
    I think its if the room is 26 degree or less its ok to do that.
    I would warm it to body temp just before you use it. Best way to do that is to simply rotate the bottle under running hot tap water.

Thanks hun. you are wonderful to have provided all this great advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast