Thread: HELP!! Diarrhea and breastfeeding ...

Default HELP!! Diarrhea and breastfeeding ...

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I have had bad diarrhea for the past day and a bit - and it's not showing any signs of easing up just yet.

I'm not sure what's caused it, but I'm not chucking, headachey or anything else - just plenty of toilet stops, and limited appetite.

As I don't seem to be "sick" sick, I'm interested in taking something to stop the diarrhea, but I haven't found anything which the box says can be taken during lactation ...

I'm keeping fluids up, but does anyone know what is safe for bubba and his milk for me to
    take, to stop this?

Thanks!

Check with the chemist when you go to buy it, they should be able to help you out.
    I imagine the amount that would go through to the breast milk would be minimal and have no effect on little one
    Hope you're feeling better soon

i think the problem would be that drugs to treat diarhoea would dry up your fluids, and this might also dry up your milk.

i would tend to ride it out, and keep getting fluids in.

hope you feel better soon

From the women's hospital BF/medications info page Breastfeeding and medications :

Diarrhoea

Most cases of acute diarrhoea are short-lived and do not require treatment with drugs. It is a good idea to use oral rehydration solutions to replace the loss of fluid and electrolytes. If diarrhoea has not stopped within 24 to 48 hours, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before starting any treatment.

Loperamide or a combination of diphenoxylate-atropine may be used to treat diarrhoea, when required, as long as the diarrhoea is not related to an infection.

thanks everyone

last night, the pharmacist said no go for the pills, but DH asked another pharmacist today, and they had a book from the Royal Womens' Hospital re drugs etc, which said that (as Belle said) it's a miniscule amount that can get into the milk, and so should be fine.

I was riding it out, but it's been almost 2 whole days, and I've got to go to work tomorrow, so we're going for the usual over the counter remedy.

And taking plenty of hydrating drinks! And some bland food...

thanks, everyone!

Hope you are feeling better now.