Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newborn not latching on.

Hi,

OK, so things are going the right way. You would expect a baby to lose around 10% of her birthweight and to regain it by 2 weeks. Not quite - but close, especially considering other mitigating factors, such as her prematurity (yes she was a bit!) and her recent illness. Then you would expect her to gain between 150g per week and 250g per week. 250 is the high end of things.
    Motilium has it's place, but it's overused and over prescribed. Your milk supply is low (ish) b/c your baby is not feeding properly. If you expressed, your supply would increase (quickly) and a good feed of breastmilk, given in a small cup, ie a medicine cup would make her much more wakeful and "organised" in her feeding. The first signs you will notice are more poos and a more demanding baby. Get onto your local ABA group first thing in the morning and hire an electric breastpump. It will be the best investment you make - join ABA as well.
    I will suss out an LC near you.
    Barb

Thanks for that Caro.

Thanks a heap Barb. I "know" in my own head that I don't really have a supply problem. More of a demand problem. I'm sure by the time Abbey is 2 she will be plenty demanding enough

I think the cup is a great idea, but how do you get a newborn to drink out of a cup ?? I don't want to spill any booby juice. It's way too precious these days.

I know it's just a matter of getting a few good feeds into her to pick her up. Then hopefully we will have turned the corner. It's just getting there in the first place.

yep, just sit the cup at her lips & tilt it just a little so the milk seeps into her mouth & she will do the rest.
    Just use a lttle bit of milk at a time so have your EBM ready but only place a tiny amount in the cup. I remeber doing this with Evan & he with out a doubt would throw his hands up & knock the cup! So lesson learnt, use small amounts!

Like I said earlier, I have a old style Supple line if you need it.

Trish, I'm really sorry you and Abbey are going through this

Firstly, get onto a good LC ASAP. As someone else mentioned, there may be something with the roof of her mouth, or a tongue tie that you can't pick up. Whatever the problem/s is/are, a good LC will be able to help you.

Try the bath. It doesn't work for us, but I know it does for most people.

I know you don't want to comp feed her, but I really think you're going to have to in the short term. Abbey needs to get her energy levels up so that she can have a better crack at feeding. Try the cup, or a supply line. I agree that once you introduce a bottle, you may as well kiss BFing goodbye (well, almost).

Express. Hire an electric pump, and use it. It's a PITA, but it will help keep your supply up until Abbey starts feeding well.

As for the Motilium, I take it myself, but I really don't think you need to. Keep it in mind if things don't improve soon, and your supply suffers, but expressing should be enough until Abbey knows how to be hungry.

I would have thought they would be happy to see a weekly gain of 150g, 250g seems a lot to me. Not that's it's too much, but I think it's too much to ask of Abbey.

Hun, I have been there, done that. Your story is so much like mine it's not funny. I was so stubborn, I should have acted before I did, and I regret it now. Nicholas was such a lethargic baby, and as my first, I didn't know any different. The difference in him once he was well-nourished was amazing. I know you will find that with Abbey too And I'm sure you will BF for as long as you want to, I really think you will. Good on you for working so hard at it, it's not easy.

ETA This post took me too long! I've repeated a bit of what others have said, sorry.

Janie, thank you so much for your support. It's nice to chat with others that have btdt. Well, not nice that you have been through it but ykwim. I too think that the 250gm is abit much atm for Abbey just right now. Sure if she was completely on top of it all but she's not there just right now.

When Abbey finally went back down lastnight I sat up and expressed for a little bit. I only got about 60 mls out but I figure this is enough for one feed. Or should I use a little after each feed to top her up ??

Fiona, thanks for the offer of the supply line. I will see if I acn get Abbey to pick up over the next couple of days if not I will give you a call. Is that ok ?

Abbey is definatley getting more wakeful. She had a fair bit of up time yesterday afternoon/evening. And even sfter I went to bed she was up at 1, 3 and 5 am, Normally I would complain about that but she was feeding each time so that's a bonus.

Oh speak of the devil and there she is.

Good Luck Trish... I knwo YOU can do it!!!!!!

I have no real experience with BF... but did express in vain for 3 weeks LOL...

If you are worried about spilling booby juice ( i know it is precious, especially if you only get 10ml form each boob !!!) could you even try using a syringe to squirt the milk into her mouth!!!...

Not really sure if it is practical or not... but a suggestion nonetheless...

Hi, Trish

Here are some recommendations of LCs in your area.
    Dale Hanson IBCLC
    BH: (02) 9570 6330

Mobile: 0427 275715

Melissa Harnett IBCLC

Mobile: 0425 341 259.

Anne Kohn IBCLC
    BH: (02) 9879 7025

Mobile: 0416 022608

Trish, that's great that she's getting more wakeful......you might turn that corner very soon!

How did you go today?

Ummmm, I didn't go. Bad me. I am planning on taking her in today. And hopefully that now she is drinking and weeing more the test's will come back better to.

Thanks for those numbers Barb, Much appreciated.

To all of you girls that have offered your support and words of wisdon I thank you. It's funny you know. normally it's me handing out the breastfeeding advice. I thought that over the years I had dealt with most bfing issues. Just not this one. Abbey completely threw a curve ball at me.

I am happy to say though that it seems that we ahve turned yet another corner.

Abbey is feeding quite well now. I sure wouldn't say perfectly, she is still a shocker at latching on. She rarely takes enough breast tissue into her mouth along with nipple, but I think this may change as she grows bigger.

Abbey is now demanding her feeds although it's rare that she has to make a noise to get one. I'm still feeding her pretty much as soon as she wakes up. Even though we are starting to get a few more wakeful periods.

I had Abbey weighed last week and let's just say that it's a slow progress. But I am happy, any gain is a gain. She is weeing and pooing plentiful once again so something is obviously going in.

I try and have a nightly bath with Abbey where she can snuggle up and have a good feed. Then we get out and dressed and she has some more before we both fall asleep.

So once again a huge and thank you for everything girls. It means alot knowing that I have so much support right here

Trish - I haven't posted here because I felt like I haven't had any advice for you but have been following and I'm so glad things are improving hun. Like you said -slow and steady and you are making progress which is fantastic hun! Hopefully as her mouth gets bigger as she grows she will start taking more of your booby in her mouth. Good luck and yay for little Abbey!

Fantastic Trish! Last thing you want for Christmas is a baby with feeding issues!

Tell me about it Fiona. My poor girl is already watching her weight. I do NOT want to be going back to hospital. And if it's the ast blood test she has for many years I will be happy.

Thank you Tan thanks a heap hun.

Well done Trish & Abbey!!!

Hi Trish - just found this thread - so sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble with your gorgeous little girl - but glad to hear that things are turning a corner. Many hugs to you sweetheart!

Thanks for that Suse. I tell you, now you would never have thought we got off to such a rough start at breastfeeding. Abbey now feeds like a champ. Infact that's all she ever seems to be doing lately.

Seem's my boobs are constantly in use these days. Oh well, faced with the alternative I know what I prefer.

That's fantastic Trish!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast